PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable way to measure if I've used enough soap?

Pages : [1] 2

Snowdrifter
08-04-2012, 05:58 PM
I've always filled my bucket with water and squirt it some soap, mix it up, then reach in and rub my fingers together. If they feel slippery, then I'm good. If not, they I add more soap and repeat.

Is this a fine way to do it or not? I reason that if my fingers slide by each other, than the dirt too will slide off my paint.

And as a side note: what's a nice smelling, slick soap that is cheap per wash? I've always used meguiars GC, and have moved to ultimate. But im wondering if there is anything else that might be more effective since I can't buy the ultimate wash in bulk?

KillaCam
08-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Use a measuring cup for the best accuracy. I bought a small one from walmart that is made of glass and has just about everything you can imagine on it as far as measuring liquids. Then go by the soaps directions for how much to use per gallon of water.

Hammondc
08-04-2012, 06:06 PM
One of the proportioners that AG sells. Fits on top of the soap bottle. Like $6.

Silverstone
08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I use one of those 3oz looped measuring cups from AG and follow directions. Using too little soap is one problem but using too much will strip the wax faster, and I don't like waxing the cars more often than I have to.

I add soap first, just over 3oz's, then add three gallons of water with the nozzle underwater to avoid foaming. Then I pull it out and blast in a little more for foam.

I really like Megs shampoo plus. It leaves the car feeling waxed better than a lot of soaps that supposedly have wax in them. Plus it doesn't strip the wax too fast.

Snowdrifter
08-04-2012, 06:13 PM
But do I need one - like is having a very precise soap/water ratio that important? Is there something wrong with my methods? If I get a portioner, wouldn't I then have to measure the water too?

Hmm... And entire post made of questions lol

KillaCam
08-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I don't like the proportioners. I bought one and don't even use it anymore. It's nearly impossible to rinse the thing out completely and if you leave soap, apc, or whatever it is in there and it dries, you're screwed. They are also very expensive.

ziggo99
08-04-2012, 06:38 PM
But do I need one - like is having a very precise soap/water ratio that important? Is there something wrong with my methods? If I get a portioner, wouldn't I then have to measure the water too?

Hmm... And entire post made of questions lol

1. Yes. A precise ration gives you the right amount of cleaning power without stripping the protection as quickly.

2. Unless you got a Masters in eyeballing, then your method isn't giving you a proper

3. Take a gallon milk jug and a black or silver Sharpie (depending on bucket color) and make a mark at each gallon mark. So if your wash calls for 1gal:1oz, you fill the bucket to the right mark, then add the correct amount of soap.

david79z28
08-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I use a paint mixing cup. It hash marks for ounces as well as marks for certain reduction rates when mixing quarts. I use those when making ONR detailer, waterless wash, etc.

Flash Gordon
08-04-2012, 08:45 PM
I've always filled my bucket with water and squirt it some soap, mix it up, then reach in and rub my fingers together. If they feel slippery, then I'm good. If not, they I add more soap and repeat.

Is this a fine way to do it or not? I reason that if my fingers slide by each other, than the dirt too will slide off my paint.

And as a side note: what's a nice smelling, slick soap that is cheap per wash? I've always used meguiars GC, and have moved to ultimate. But im wondering if there is anything else that might be more effective since I can't buy the ultimate wash in bulk?

The way you're doing it is fine. You don't need no stinking measuring cup for soap

I try to stay away from scented products, so I have no recommendations for you on a pretty smelling soap

D.Acker
08-04-2012, 08:45 PM
I use Griot's soap in a Griot's bucket. The soap specifies 1 ounce per 2 gallons of water. The bucket has a 3 ounce cup built into the grit guard and is a 6 gallon bucket, can't get much easier.

I use both Meg's GC and Griot's, both smell nice and both do a nice job of waxing and neither seems to strip wax to fast for my liking.

Jaretr1
08-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I have been pretty pleased with DP Auto Bath. Its super concentrated and suds up really nicely. I believe AG sells it in bulk.

I just squirt some into a bucket by eyeball method. If I get decent suds, then I know I have enough. If I get super thick lather, then I know I have used to much.

Megs probably sells something equivalent to GC in the professional line, I did not look, but glance through it, I am sure they have a car wash among their professional products that can be purchased in bulk.

Bunky
08-05-2012, 05:14 AM
I use those plastic disposable 1 ounce cups to measure.

However, this may be overly precise when some soap direction says 1 to 2 capfuls in a bucket of water. However, some soaps like Do Do Juice are very concentrated.

For those relying on between the finger slickness, ONR never feels slippery like soap does. Adding extra soap should translate to better cleaning capability more "safety".

BobbyG
08-05-2012, 06:17 AM
I have a couple of plastic scoops left over from protein powder. They're convenient and easy to use and repeatable.....:props:

BillE
08-05-2012, 07:39 AM
You can also get (and use) pump dispensers that just screw on your soap jug. They come on various amounts (ie, one ounce, two ounce, etc.). Check out your local janitorial supply store.

Bill

KillaCam
08-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I have a couple of plastic scoops left over from protein powder. They're convenient and easy to use and repeatable.....:props:

I thought of doing that also. I guess I will measure to see how many ounces they hold and start using them!