PDA

View Full Version : paint drops allnover the car...

jackychai
08-03-2012, 06:44 PM
how to remove this? it fall out from a truck driving near by . my frd (not very close friend) can't escape from it and any idea and what should i charge?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

rider9195
08-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I would do a test spot for free. Wash a small area, try claying the spots and see if that reduces them. If not you could try an APC like Optimum Power Clean or a tar remover like Tarminator.

Do some testing with it and see what results you have. I feel like polishing really would do much as the pad would just glide over them.

jackychai
08-03-2012, 06:59 PM
i agree with you for the playing and such. if polish i might have to sand it down abit right? or should i use some acrylic or lacquar thinner to give a tryon some not very visible spot if all other cleaning method failed?

weekendwarrior
08-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Start least aggressive first. Simply use fingernail to gently try and remove a drop, if it comes right off, try wash then moderate to agressive clay (not mild/finish clay). Then move up to APC, then Tarminator, then ultimate compound by hand.

jackychai
08-03-2012, 07:16 PM
i am sure the more aggressive method works. will try the suggestion u guys give here. how much would u charge for this job? not including detailing the rest of the car.

Talvanos
08-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Start least aggressive first. Simply use fingernail to gently try and remove a drop, if it comes right off, try wash then moderate to agressive clay (not mild/finish clay). Then move up to APC, then Tarminator, then ultimate compound by hand.

👍+1

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Vegas Transplant
08-03-2012, 07:40 PM
i agree with you for the playing and such. if polish i might have to sand it down abit right? or should i use some acrylic or lacquar thinner to give a tryon some not very visible spot if all other cleaning method failed?

Possible http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html , can't tell if it's a Hyundai or MB.

kmsdetailing
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I called several body shops in my area and they stated $50.00 per hour and that the job I was looking at, when I showed one body shop was 3 hours.

So, I charged the customer $150.00

I used one clay bar and lubricant.
One clay for windows; worked great
And on the plastic bumpers I did try nail polish without Acetone and it came off. It's been off a week and no problems with the bumper.

jackychai
08-04-2012, 12:22 AM
I called several body shops in my area and they stated $50.00 per hour and that the job I was looking at, when I showed one body shop was 3 hours.

So, I charged the customer $150.00

I used one clay bar and lubricant.
One clay for windows; worked great
And on the plastic bumpers I did try nail polish without Acetone and it came off. It's been off a week and no problems with the bumper.

then that's not good. because my friend is gonna try he nail polish
if he succeed then i can't do his car...

mg6045
08-04-2012, 07:34 AM
plastic razor blade with clay lube is how I would attack it. I personally think its the least aggressive method. Then I would follow up by polishing with a light cutting pad to even out any chemical etching or abrasions.

mg6045
08-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Possible http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html , can't tell if it's a Hyundai or MB.

I think people overthink this thread. At some point your repair is a FAR better option than how the car looks from the owner's abuse (thrashed). Theres nothing wrong with polishing on ceramic clear's. Its done everyday with the proper technique. I could be wrong, but I dont think Mike made that thread as a scare tactic to not work on ceramic paint.
I dont want to put words in his mouth but what I took from it was him posting information that was just to help us understand the chemistry that goes along with ceramiclear technology. And to let us know a different technique or product may be required to level the paint.

Vegas Transplant
08-04-2012, 07:13 PM
^^^

Agreed.

However, I did read the thread thru - OP is asking whether to sand the wayward paint...Thus the reason for the ceramic clear mention.

I don't know about you, but I haven't found the need to sand paint splatter in order to remove it.