PDA

View Full Version : Is this clear coat failure?

NickZ28
08-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Members...On Monday of this week, I traded in our 2008 Jeep Commander for a fully loaded 2010 Jeep Commander. I plan on doing my full detail this weekend, however, upon closer inspection today, I noticed this imperfection on the passenger side door. (I did not see it on Monday, as it was already getting dark prior to delivery). My question is, is this the begining of clear coat failure? If so, how can I go about repairing this? I have the factory matched touch up paint already. Would I be OK if I jst brushed over this? I'm not looking for perfection, as this is one of two daily drivers we have.
Any feedback, guidance or suggestions you all might have would be greatly apprceiated.

BobbyG
08-03-2012, 10:09 AM
It's difficult to tell but the large chunk of missing clear tells me somethings not right...

Small chips are normal in the life of a daily driver. Large chips that flake indicate bonding failure between the top coat and the coat beneath it....

Mike Phillips
08-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Looks like a chip in the paint to me...

Clear coat failure takes a few years of exposure to the sun as well as neglect to take effect...

:)