PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Subaru New Car Prep/OptiCoat w/Speacial Guest Star

JSFM35x
08-03-2012, 06:57 AM
First, I cannot accept more than about 5% (or less) of the credit for the spectacular results. I had a very, very special mentor for the day. I have been trying to up my detailing game and progress as a detailer. I only care for my own vehicles and on occasion help a friend out with minor issues. I have tried to make it to one of David and Phil's Polishing classes but the timing just never seemed to work into my schedule.
Over the past few years David, of Street Dreams Detail and I have been speaking and he has been generous with his advice and expertise. He is an amazing businessman, friend, person and detailer. When he offered to help/teach me to polish and apply opticoat on my new car I was delighted and jumped at the offer. It's kind of like having Derek Jeter come over to show you how to play shortstop in your garage! David's detailing rig is like a detailing supply warehouse on wheels. He has everything you can imagine or ever need. It is all stored neatly in wall mounted tool boxes, bins and wall racks. He knows where everything is instantly.

Product used:
Poor Boys Super Slick and Suds
Washed with 2BM w/ grit guards
Wheel Woolies-set of 3
5 gall wheel wash bucket w/grit guards
Sheep Skin wash mitt & MF wash mitt for lower panels
P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner
P21S TAW
Stoners Tarminator
ONR as Nanoskin Lube
Nanoskin 6" pad
Wheel well brush, tire brush, SV brush
Griots DA w/ uber Mint Green pads
M105/M205 and some M101
303 Aerospace protectant for the engine
Uber Pink Glass Towels
Stoners invisible glass cleaner (pump Spray)
IPA
Opticoat 2.0
1Z cockpit Premium
1Z plastic cleaner
1Z Anti Insect
SV Pneu for the tires
Lots of GP and Paint Safe MF towels

A few pictures of the car at dealer pick up:
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/FrontShotwithPlastic.jpg
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/FrontAngleShotwithPlastic.jpg
Adhesive after plastic removal quickly removed with Tarminator
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/TapeLineRearDriverquarter-Copy.jpg
Condition of wheels upon arival home from the dealer (dealer was told not to wash anything!)
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/Wheel.jpg

I started the wash process early Sunday morning and got the car all cleaned up just as David was arriving at 8:45 AM. I had taken delivery of the car with the plastic intact and cleaned up the larger mess a few weeks ago. I had never met David in person but I feel like I have know him for longer than I actually do. He is a very genuine and sincerely nice guy who knows his way around paint. He literally spent 9 1/2 hours showing me and helping me do my car. We did take a lunch break and went to lunch at a great local place where we got to talk about detailing, life and literally everything under the sun. It was a great day for me.

After the wash, I pulled the car into the garage and David showed me the Nano Scrub pad, how it worked and how fast it allows you to remove bonded contaminants compared to clay. He allowed me to run the Nanoskin on the glass first to break in the pad and then on the paint. We demonstrated how much pressure was required to be effective yet not inflict any micro marring onto the paint whatsoever. The whole car was nano skinned (if that is a word) in less than 15 Minutes if you take out the time he stopped to allow me to practice on a few panels. We used ONR as the Nanoskin lube and then proceeded to dry the car. We split the hood and tried several combo's of polish and determined that we could 1 step the fairly swirl free paint after seeing no real gain from a finer step. He pointed out the things I should look for when polishing, hand speed, pad speed and angle of attack for the DA as well as the advantages of varying amounts of pressure. He also showed me how much product to apply to the pad and when to add more. David and I worked our way around the car until the polishing was complete. It is amazing how easy and smooth he makes it look, and then when I take the machines in my hand how awkward and jerky it feels.

Next we wiped the car down with a solution of IPA. we checked the car with a super bright LED light and corrected a few spot defects we located with the brightest of lights. After wiping those spots with IPA we began the opti-coating.

Applying the Opticoat 2.0 was the part I was extremely concerned about getting right since it is a PITA to fix a botched permanent coating of any kind! I was happy to have David there to show me the application process. We wiped it on in a methodic and consistent pattern to ensure 100% coverage. We watch the Opticoat flash off and clarify or melt into the paint. Then after several minutes we buffed the panel with a paint safe MF to level the high spots. The opti coat is not hard to apply once you know and are confident in what you are doing. It is just time consuming and un-nerving because if you wait too long to level the high spots you might have to polish them flat. After we applied 2 coats of Opti coat in the paint, we moved onto the lenses, wheels and exhaust pipe and interior faux wood trim.

By the time we were done I was toast-this is not easy work and I have a whole new respect for the guys who bust out several cars a week on their own! What's so funny about this is David did a lot (read MOST) of the volume of work. I plan on polishing and opti coating the door jams/under side of the hood/trunk jambs and SS sill plates in the future.

At the end I offered to take David to dinner but he already had plans. I will always be extremely grateful for his instruction and the guidance and tips he gave me on this past Sunday. I got a great result, met a great guy and made a good friend. I feel like I now have enough knowledge to practice and improve to the point where I can get to the next level in detailing.

Here are some shots of the car in the finishing stages. I did not take any WIP pictures as it would have slowed down and extended the process.
It was a super hot day in NY and these are the after shots taken as we were loosing the bright sun:http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/NoPlsate.jpg
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/IMG_1873.jpg
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/IMG_1872.jpg
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/IMG_1864.jpg
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/IMG_1866.jpg
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Jsf721/IMG_1869.jpg
Everyone, Thanks for looking and David Thanks for everything!

tuscarora dave
08-03-2012, 07:22 AM
That looks great Jeff!! Congrats on the new ride too!!

You too, are a very generous man with character that is second to none. I am glad to see some of that come back to you, you deserve it my friend. Over the years, I have heard that David, at Street Dreams Detail does fantastic work, seems like you had the right guy guiding you through this prep and Opti-Coat application.

JSFM35x
08-03-2012, 07:44 AM
That looks great Jeff!! Congrats on the new ride too!!

You too, are a very generous man with character that is second to none. I am glad to see some of that come back to you, you deserve it my friend. Over the years, I have heard that David, at Street Dreams Detail does fantastic work, seems like you had the right guy guiding you through this prep and Opti-Coat application.

You still have the Porsche right?

Dave,

I see that your busy and I enjoy your posts. I also saw that you made a nice offer to help someone learn the ropes on Opti Coat 2.0. The detailing industry sure has some great members. David form Street Dream really got me over the hump I have been struggling on learning in regards to correction. When I first met you @ the Poorboys Detail Weekend I was clueless. Today I am a few notches north of that-LOL. I learned alot from those weekends and you were always generous with you advise and willingness to help others get up to speed.

I tell you that the universe of people who get the detailing thing is small. My neighbors think I am crazy becasue I wash my cars so often can you imagine what happened when David pulled up in this rig, and the buffer was screeming in my garage for 5 hours! Anyway, they thought I was crazy anyhow-lol.

Nice to hear fro you and keep on posting! have a nice wekend with the RR Sport. That is alot of paint!

tuscarora dave
08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Nice to hear fro you and keep on posting! have a nice wekend with the RR Sport. That is alot of paint!
Thanks Jeff, the Range Rover is done and the customer is very happy with the results so far. Unfortunately he drove it down for an appointment in Baltimore and some bone head clipped his back bumper in a parallel parking situation. It took a 5 inch x 1/4 inch strip of paint off the bumper down to the black plastic. It is now in the paint shop having the repair done and as soon as the paint is ready I'll be re-Opti-Coating that area for him. He was so impressed with the Opti-Coat after driving in the rain a few times that he's bringing his other two cars in for correction and an Opti-Coat application.

Good to see you posting to AGO!! Enjoy that new Subaru!!

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Wow, I don't think you can get much better than that. Too bad dsms/Street Dreams doesn't come around here much.

Mike Phillips
08-03-2012, 08:05 AM
When he offered to help/teach me to polish and apply opticoat on my new car I was delighted and jumped at the offer. It's kind of like having Derek Jeter come over to show you how to play shortstop in your garage!

Cool!

Anytime you have someone that's knowledgeable, friendly and professional to lend a helping hand, flatten out the learning curve and impart years of experience that's a real blessing.

:xyxthumbs:

JSFM35x
08-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks Jeff, the Range Rover is done and the customer is very happy with the results so far. Unfortunately he drove it down for an appointment in Baltimore and some bone head clipped his back bumper in a parallel parking situation. It took a 5 inch x 1/4 inch strip of paint off the bumper down to the black plastic. It is now in the paint shop having the repair done and as soon as the paint is ready I'll be re-Opti-Coating that area for him. He was so impressed with the Opti-Coat after driving in the rain a few times that he's bringing his other two cars in for correction and an Opti-Coat application.

Good to see you posting to AGO!! Enjoy that new Subaru!!

I have not had the car out of the garage since it has been OptiCoated. Packed on 2 coats with David that day and added another 2 to the wheels, exhaust pipe. Will have to get it out at some poont but for now it is most likely as clean as it will ever be. I am seriously considering OC the plastic in the wheel wells as they are cleaner than new right now.

When ever David Posts a write up it is a real treat.....I also wish he posted more.

Have a good one.

tuscarora dave
08-03-2012, 08:09 AM
I am seriously considering OC the plastic in the wheel wells as they are cleaner than new right now.

Do It!! It makes a difference in how easy they clean up. Right now is the time for sure.

JSFM35x
08-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Wow, I don't think you can get much better than that. Too bad dsms/Street Dreams doesn't come around here much.

When you are with someone who has IT, you know it in a second. David has IT. Not only is he a great detailer, he is funny as hell, and has the ability and skills that make him great teacher.

Side story from the day-One of my neighbors stopped by to see what all the noise was. He began commenting on how we should be at the beach not in the garage on a beautiful Sunday. He keep going on and on (He is a great neghbor but he clearly does not get the detailing thing). He almost lost it when I showed him the syringe of OC 2.0 we were going to use. He was busting chops and then turned to David and made a smart a$$ comment. David very nicely and professionally in 3 sentences put him in his place, shut him up and more importantly he did it in a manner that my neighbor laughed and walked over and shook his hand!

It was truly a great experience and I learned alot. Added plus is my car is now worth more money because David, of Street Dreams-New Jersey's Finest Car Care Signed the car! LOL (Just kidding) He did not sign it becasue I did not think of that until now!

JSFM35x
08-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Cool!

Anytime you have someone that's knowledgeable, friendly and professional to lend a helping hand, flatten out the learning curve and impart years of experience that's a real blessing.

:xyxthumbs:

WOW-Mike Philips posting in my thread...nice to meet you my friend. I was blown away by David's willingness to share his tips / tricks as well as let me try my hand at it and correct me on the spot. It really shortens the learning curve. He makes running the buffer look so easy. I guess the real test will come when I try this solo.

It was a great day, experience and alot of fun! I will always be greatful to David for this generousity.

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
When you are with someone who has IT, you know it in a second. David has IT. Not only is he a great detailer, he is funny as hell, and has the ability and skills that make him great teacher.

Yeah, I remember when he first started posting on another forum I used to frequent, he seemed to be one of those guys who was just a natural. He doesn't detail full-time, does he?

JSFM35x
08-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I remember when he first started posting on another forum I used to frequent, he seemed to be one of those guys who was just a natural. He doesn't detail full-time, does he?

He does do this full time and from my understanding he has for years. He just invested in a pretty extensive mobile rig to extend his reach. I believe most professionals prefer to do the work in their shop as everything is already there, but it means you can't service some cusotmers. Now he can do both.

We re-scheduled our day becasue he booked a car on a date we were first considering. His phone is filled with every exotic car you can imaging in various stages of correction. I don't want to speak for him but based on our 9 1/2 hour conversation it seemed that he was very busy and booked for a while.

We were talking pad sizes and machine types. He was telling me he did a Black Lambo that was so angular that he used his 3" DA on alot of it. This guy drove a Black Lambo down from Boston for some heavy correction after seeing some of his work online and speaking with him. Since the guy was alone when he dropped off the car David asked the guy if he needed a ride somewhere and the guy said no. He pulled out his phone booked a flight, called a cab and took off. In a few days he returned to pick up the car the same way.

After seeing him work his magic, I bet he is booked for a long while.

JSFM35x
08-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
[QUOTE=tuscarora dave]
I am seriously considering OC the plastic in the wheel wells as they are cleaner than new right now.

Do It!! It makes a difference in how easy they clean up. Right now is the time for sure.

I did the Wheel Wells on Friday evening 2X, and buffed off. Got to as much as I could without pulling the wheels off. I finally let the car out of the garage Sunday evening just in time for T-Storms. All looks good so far. Will keep you posted.