PDA

View Full Version : Kinda Bummed

Jaretr1
08-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I have started Project Camaro SS paint restoration. I have a 97 SS with only 16k miles on it I bought from the original owner. He kept it in a garage and babied it, but he obviously did not know crap about how to clean it. It was swirled to heck and now that I am getting the swirls off, it seems the car is full of rids. Short of wet sanding, looks like I am going to have to live with that.

I have used M105 with a orange pad, polished, then glazed with PoorBoys Diamond White and the rids are still ever present. Oh well. I am not going to wet sand it, so it is what it is...but damn if it wont be shiny.

Now I am debating what LSP to use. Choices are Collinite 845, Megs #26, Megs M21, or Souveran. Decisions decisions.

Jaret

weekendwarrior
08-03-2012, 06:54 AM
What color is it? If darker color try a glaze before topping with LSP. There is a BOGO for Poorboys black hole glaze right now.

Mike Phillips
08-03-2012, 07:16 AM
I have used M105 with a orange pad, polished, then glazed with PoorBoys Diamond White and the rids are still ever present.

Oh well. I am not going to wet sand it, so it is what it is...but damn if it wont be shiny.

Sounds like the paint is both very hard and the RIDS are likely deep.

The last thing you want to do is have to re-paint this car as there's value in having the original paint on a car like this. I've worked on Camaro's from this era and I did find the paint to be very hard.

Did you try the M105 with a wool pad on a rotary buffer? Not only would this help to remove the deeper scratches but it should really smooth over the surface to amp up the gloss.

If you really wanted to go for it... when we get the new 3M #5000 grit sanding discs in you could maybe hit the hood, (the panel everyone looks at the most and also suffers the most wear-n-tear), and do a little sanding and then a little compounding and take the finish to a little higher level.

Maybe you could bring it over to the Geek Garage and I could give you a hand with it...

:)

oldmodman
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM
5000 grit sanding discs?

They must feel like velvet!

I've got (and have used) just about every other 3M disc. I will be ordering these for sure.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I just finished using the 3M Tri-Zact 3000 today and want to get my hands on some 5000.

OP you might want to consider trying out the 3000 disc to give you even more cut than rotory and wool. Plus it will finish out better than the wool.

darkangelism
08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Maybe you could bring it over to the Geek Garage and I could give you a hand with it...

Live show to show new sanding products?

Mike Phillips
08-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Live show to show new sanding products?

Definitely.

Already on the list.

Grifftech
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Damn I would think about moving down to Stuart just to have the opportunity to do that!! But I think the detailing competition in town would outshine me for sure :)

Jaretr1
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
The car is white (Mikes least favorite color). I did break out my yellow CCS pad (which I beleive is the hardest cut) and M105 and I was able to "smooth" out some scratches on the rear spoiler using my PC7424XP. The Camaro is a challenging car because the hood is a composite with a scoop, the front fenders are plastic, the doors are fiberglass, and the rear quarter and roof is metal. So there are all these different surface makeups, plus the only flat surface on the car is the roof!

I dont have anything more powerful than a PC 7424xp and I certainly dont have the skill or knowledge to play with sanding...so I might have to take up Mike's offer of bringing the car up to the Autogeek Showcar Garage :)

JSFM35x
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Of your list IW845 is one I have used and liked on white. Very slick, durable, easy on/off and relatively inexpensive. Just remeber thin almost not there coats, and wipe off before totally dry.

CEE DOG
08-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hear Jaret :(

I'm betting you have her looking gorgeous!! other than the rids which you can't control unless you want to eat his paint up. Great to see you around buddy!!

weekendwarrior
08-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Try a glaze designed for light colored vehicles before you seal or wax it, Poorboys has one of those too.

umi000
08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
To those suggesting a glaze, you do realize the OP said he already used Poorboys White Diamond in his original post, right? ;)

Francis

weekendwarrior
08-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Oh...whoops :)

Jaretr1
08-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I used PB White Diamond. I think I might have chosen the wrong pad with it though as it didnt seem to do much of anything at all, other than spread a wonderful pina colada scent around my garage. Maybe I was using to much, or not enough or something. Since it acts as a paint cleaner as well as a glaze, I might continue to use it before I go over the rest of the car.

I think I am going to use 845 as the lsp.