PDA

View Full Version : Water Spot Removal, what to buy?

blingbling
08-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Sorry, long post!

I've got some water spots on my hood. Type II I think, clay, KAIO didn't get rid of them. I'm going to purchase a PC 7424XP and need help figuring out what to get with it.

My situation is, I have a single car, a new BMW 335i, metallic black. I have access to no other cars for me to use up product on. :) Since the car is new, I can't imagine polishing more than once a year or so, so I need to get something that's hard to mess up, since I won't be able to keep my skills in shape.

Objectives for this purchase:

- remove or lighten water spots, remove as little CC as possible
- remove or lighten light scratches and swirl marks
- apply sealant (BFWD most likely)

Purchase list:

- PC 7424XP
- 5" backing plate
- Pad system: 5.5" LC flat pads OR hydrotech OR optimum MF pads AND/OR sirbuf pads
- possibly 4" plate/pads for corners
- optimum spray compound/polish OR wolfgang twins OR menzerna OR Meg 105/205/UC
- PB PwS
- pad cleaner
- pad brush

Will not purchase:
- air compressor to clean MF pads
- GG pad washer to clean pads

Future thoughts:
- definite opti-coat on wheels when I put on snow tires for winter
- whole car 1 or 2 step
- possibly opti-coat some time in the future.
- Gtechniq G1 on windshield

I don't want to stock up on EVERYTHING, as I have only one car to work on, and it's a small new one at that. So I'm looking to choose versatile and easy to use products. Most likely, after I get the water spots out, I'll switch to some kind of chemical-only AIO like PB PwS for regular maintenance.

I'm hoping you guys can help me choose the pad system, and the polish/compound system. I've read quite a lot, but there seems to be a mountain of information on this stuff.

Ultimately, I'll most likely top with BFWD or BF Crystal Seal.

For pads, I'll purchase enough to do the whole car, 2 step with LSP, whichever system it is. The safe choice seems to be LC 5.5" pads. Hydrotechs might be a step up, and the MF pads (Megs or Optimum) might be faster/easier to work with, but might not finish down, and may need an air compressor to clean up between panels? With the Optimum MF pads, I might be able to get away with perhaps 2 pads per step? And if my water spots are deep (I don't think so), Sirbuf may be a good choice to add?

Liquids wise, I'm starting to feel the Optimum Hyper Spray compound and liquid might be the easiest and most versatile for me? But I've read that the Wolfgang twins are really easy for beginners, and the M105/205 (or Megs Ultimate Compound) are more difficult, but very flexible and easy to use. And I've read that the Menzerna stuff is the best, although I don't know which products would be appropriate for me. I do like the simplicity of the 2 product systems.

I'd also prefer not to have to do something like an IPA wipedown before applying the LSP if possible. Are any of these polish systems more favorable for that?

As for procedure, is it okay to spot polish the areas of the hood which have water spots? Or is it better to do the whole hood? Or the whole car? The rest of the car is in pretty good shape.

I'm planning, for the water spot removal:
- rinseless on hood
- clay hood
- rinseless wash whole car
- test spot on hood
- start with the least abrasive liquid with green or white pad
- if no good, move up to orange pad with the more abrasive liquid
- try 2-3 passes if needed
- repeat the process on rest of affected (or whole) hood
- want to avoid if possible, but if needed, wipedown with IPA / CarPro Eraser
- apply LSP with grey or blue pad

Thanks in advance for your advice.