PDA

View Full Version : 2 subject in 1 thread....

fenderpicks
08-02-2012, 01:30 PM
So my first question is.
How long does Opti Coat 2.0 need to cure before touching water?

I recently got a set of new tires and rims from tirerack.

Prepped with tuf shine tire clear coat, and coat it with OC 2.0

Tuf shine clear coating is flaking and cracking as of now... and idk why...
i cleaned the tire with the instruction they provided... unless it's because the tire is brand new then idk....
SO highly doubt it is user error....

I plan on scrubing the tires some more with the cleaner, but the OC was coated about 2 days ago... and i know they have a longer cure time....

So will i be able to wash my tires to clean them without effecting the bonding of OC?

TroyScherer
08-02-2012, 01:47 PM
A. OC 2.0 can get wet within 24 hours. But I personally would not use a harsh or any cleaner on or around it for at least 7 days.

B. New tires have quite a bit of silicone in and on the tire from the production process to keep them looking "new" while they sit waiting to be sold. If you get flaking with TuffShine the there is still silicone present. When you scrubbed the tire with TuffShine did it bubble pure white? Also did you make sure the rubber was totally dry before application?

What has worked great for me is to use an APC @ 4:1 for the initial 1-2 cleaning passes. I then use the TuffShine Cleaner as a final follow-up to make sure everything is perfectly clean. IMO the TuffShine Cleaner is to expensive to use and do multiple cleaning passes with. I then let the tires dry in the sun for awhile. I then stand them up to make sure all the water has dried up and isn't hiding in the cracks. If they are dry then I proceed.

I have also found that applying 1 thin coating and evening everything out works the best. I apply the 1st coat and let it dry in the sun for 30 minutes for applying a second coat.

A-train
08-02-2012, 02:33 PM
For new tires that I am going to apply tuff shine to, I clean until the cleaner bubbles white, like Troy said and then I do a final cleaning with griots rubber prep, works very well on new tires and tires off a dealers lot.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Hammondc
08-02-2012, 02:34 PM
That is mold release agent on the tires.

fenderpicks
08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
A. OC 2.0 can get wet within 24 hours. But I personally would not use a harsh or any cleaner on or around it for at least 7 days.

B. New tires have quite a bit of silicone in and on the tire from the production process to keep them looking "new" while they sit waiting to be sold. If you get flaking with TuffShine the there is still silicone present. When you scrubbed the tire with TuffShine did it bubble pure white? Also did you make sure the rubber was totally dry before application?

What has worked great for me is to use an APC @ 4:1 for the initial 1-2 cleaning passes. I then use the TuffShine Cleaner as a final follow-up to make sure everything is perfectly clean. IMO the TuffShine Cleaner is to expensive to use and do multiple cleaning passes with. I then let the tires dry in the sun for awhile. I then stand them up to make sure all the water has dried up and isn't hiding in the cracks. If they are dry then I proceed.

I have also found that applying 1 thin coating and evening everything out works the best. I apply the 1st coat and let it dry in the sun for 30 minutes for applying a second coat.

The suds was pure white prior to the coating process.
Since now i have 3 coats or more of tuf shine on my tires already, what should i use to clean it before putting on another coat of tuf shine?

swanicyouth
08-02-2012, 04:30 PM
You can use the Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner again. I had the same issue as you and called the company. They Fed Exed me another bottle of tire cleaner no charge. I repeated the process again.

The thing is, even if the soap and brush is white, there can still be contaminants in the tire, even brand new. One you clean it the first time, the theory is more come to the surface. So, if you go through this again, you may want to clean, let sit for a day then clean again.

That's what I did the second time and it worked. Don't give up on the TS though, once you get it sorted out its an amazing product. I like my tires pretty shiny, and they stay very shiny for over a month. Before I was lucky to get a week. Even after a month, they are still very shiny, but I can't resist the temptation to amp it up.

TroyScherer
08-02-2012, 08:00 PM
The suds was pure white prior to the coating process.
Since now i have 3 coats or more of tuf shine on my tires already, what should i use to clean it before putting on another coat of tuf shine?

I would try using an APC to strip off the TuffShine first. Then scrub them down with APC again and let them dry. Maybe the next day come back and scrub them down with the TuffShine Cleaner. I would once again let them sit and dry.

When applying TuffShine I have found the best option is to apply one coat and get it even. Then set it out in the heat to really dry. I wait at least 30min - 1hr before applying a second coat. Just like wax, the longer you wait the better curing for the first coat.