PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Phillips...Cross contamination questions.

Hoytman
08-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Mr. Phillips,

After getting my tools and a selection of pads how concerned about cross contamination should I be? As an example...

I want to get a pad washer as I think it will aid in keeping pads more clean and at the least be convenient while working on a single project without having to use up so many pads.

...I used some Meg's #67 One-step ccompound (haven't noticed AG carrying this) on the hull of a boat this past spring. I then used a Meg's 6.5" finishing pad and applied some Collinite 845 to the pad to wax the boat. After useing this finishing pad I cleaned it as best I could by hand and dawn soap, rinsed thoroooooughly, then let dry. I marked the pad backing, "Boat...Collinite 845" wth a permanent marker. Should I only use this pad for gel-coat now?

Is gel-coat/clear coat cross contamination a major concern if the pad is still cleaned well?

Should I be more concerned with compound and polish cross contamination? Hopefully you understand what I'm driving at here.

On my daily drivers it may not be such a concern for me. I think with customer's cars I may need to take a bit more precaution. Your thoughts?

Hoytman
09-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Bump :bump2:

Mike Phillips
09-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Bump :bump2:

Yeah yeah yeah... been offline this morning till just now... :D

Mr. Phillips,

After getting my tools and a selection of pads how concerned about cross contamination should I be? As an example...

I want to get a pad washer as I think it will aid in keeping pads more clean and at the least be convenient while working on a single project without having to use up so many pads.

...I used some Meg's #67 One-step compound (haven't noticed AG carrying this) on the hull of a boat this past spring. I then used a Meg's 6.5" finishing pad and applied some Collinite 845 to the pad to wax the boat. After using this finishing pad I cleaned it as best I could by hand and dawn soap, rinsed thoroooooughly, then let dry. I marked the pad backing, "Boat...Collinite 845" with a permanent marker. Should I only use this pad for gel-coat now?

I wouldn't let it keep me from using the pad for another product or another purpose after cleaning like you stated.

[QUOTE=Hoytman;717001]

Is gel-coat/clear coat cross contamination a major concern if the pad is still cleaned well?

Same answer as above...

Should I be more concerned with compound and polish cross contamination? Hopefully you understand what I'm driving at here.

If you're washing your pads and cleaning them really well then the only real concern would be if you're using polishing or finishing pads with a compound and then trying to use the same pads for your final finishing work simply because you want to work as clean as possible and also reduce the potential as much as possible for introducing anything into the process that could cause you to work backwards, i.e. induce marring or swirls.

For most people this will not be an issue because if you're compounding you normally using an aggressive pad of some type. If you're polishing you're normally using polishing and finishing pads, so there's not normally any prior cross-contamination between wide spectrums of products.

On my daily drivers it may not be such a concern for me. I think with customer's cars I may need to take a bit more precaution. Your thoughts?

Exactly or I would also include high end cars, show cars, cars with dark colors, etc.

At some point everyone has to determine their own "balance" between investing in more pads and using the pads you have to get the job done.

Good question...

Hoytman
09-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the reply Mr. Phillips.

I'm not going to let you off the hook so easy, LOL...I posted that a month ago. (Just ribbing you of course.) 28,000+ posts...you're bound to miss a few, for sure.:xyxthumbs: I just about forgot about it myself.

Appreciate the response.

Just to clarify; Is there no reason for concern using different compounds with the same cutting pad, provided the pad is cleaned before switching compounds? Same with polishes?

Should I not be concerned about using gel-coat pads on paint?

I presume, from your reply above, that there would be no issues provided the pads are cleaned before switching from one brand of compound to another brand of comound...and same for polishes.

The reason I asked is because I was considering buying more pads because I thought I needed them (I have 18 B&S 5.5" pads, not to mention meg's 5.5" micro fiber pads) having concerns about cross contamination. As I'm understanding things now, I'd be better off investing in a pad cleaner to be more efficient on the job and cleaning the pads, which I was considering and is why I've asked these questions.

Hope I'm not being a pest by wanting clarification. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I'd rather rely on an experienced persons recommendation than to make a guess and be wrong.

Mike Phillips
09-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Just to clarify; Is there no reason for concern using different compounds with the same cutting pad, provided the pad is cleaned before switching compounds? Same with polishes?

Assuming you're using quality products, there's really no need to be concerned.

A: You're cleaning the pads
B: During the polishing step you're going to clean up any defects left by the first more aggressive step anyways... thus it's a non issue. Just clean your pads really well.

Should I not be concerned about using gel-coat pads on paint?

See above two answers...

If you want to be an absolute perfectionist then by all means get more pads and dedicate specific pads for specific types of buffing. (specific types of resins).

I presume there would be no issues provided the pads are cleaned before switching from one brand of compound to another brand of comound...and same for polishes.

The primary importance is any second or third steps as it is these steps that are cleaning up after the first, more aggressive steps.

The reason I asked is because I was considering buying more pads because I thought I needed them (I have 18 B&S 5.5" pads, not to mention meg's 5.5" micro fiber pads) having concerns about cross contamination. As I'm understanding things now, I'd be better off investing in a pad cleaner, which I was considering and is why I've asked these questions.

When it comes to correction work, as long as you're cleaning your pads really well after using one product or doing one step, then it's a non-issue.

The more important step is the polishing step after the correction step. For this your pads need to be clean and un-contaminated, especially for show car work.

It is a good idea to have new or "very good condition" final finishing pads for high end or show car type work.

Hope I'm not being a pest by wanting clarification. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I'd rather rely on an experienced persons recommendation than to make a guess and be wrong.

No problemo but just to add... pads wear out and more pads is better...

:dblthumb2:

Hoytman
09-07-2012, 11:21 AM
All of my compounds and polishes are sold at AG which means I have no concerns of them not being of good quality.

Thanks for the detailed clarification. I thought your reply would be as such, but it always pays to be certain. I also like to ask detailed questions for the benefit of others reading. :dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
09-07-2012, 11:30 AM
All of my compounds and polishes are sold at AG which means I have no concerns of them not being of good quality.

Thanks for the detailed clarification. I thought your reply would be as such, but it always pays to be certain. I also like to ask detailed questions for the benefit of others reading.

Thank you sir!

:dblthumb2: