PDA

View Full Version : Rust on chassis

PoorOwner
08-01-2012, 10:07 PM
I have some rust on control arms and the cross members, wherever are a series of TIG welds but the paint didn't get in the nooks and cranny and the rust formed..
Do you guys know how I can brush it out and seal it without using anything too caustic. I know it is not likely to spread but the car was parked near the ocean for a year likely this is from the salt in the air..

lawrenceSA
08-02-2012, 02:27 AM
I had a similar problem on the polo recently. Had some battery issues and the battery acid leaked out all of the battery bay area, and spilled down on the suspension bits and body bits below the battery area. This then lead to these bits starting to rust...

I first cleaned it up with some bicarbonate of soda and water. Then I attacked it with various wire brushes and sandpaper until I saw bare metal again.

I then painted all the surfaces with some red-oxide rust inhibitor paint, and then sprayed 2 costs of Rustoleum Gloss Black anti rust paint.

Mike Phillips
08-02-2012, 06:31 AM
POR-15

Clean it good, degrease it and brush on POR-15 and forget about it the rest of your life.

I'm getting ready to do some rust removal on my project truck's frame and some places I can't effectively get a wire brush or even my hand. These areas are going to get POR-15. I'll take some before and after pictures.

POR = Paint Over Rust

Do a Google search, I've used this product for years and it's the best. In fact my buddies Bryan and Kevin show it on their TV show...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EEhgHJE8oA&hd=1]POR-15 on Two Guys Garage - YouTube[/video]

:xyxthumbs:

Lowejackson
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Not sure if it easy for you to get hold of but the Bilt Hamber range is very popular in the UK for easy to use and very effective rust treatments

My apologies if it is not available for you to buy

david79z28
08-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I've had success with Hammerite Rust Cap.

Comes in a variety of colors. Can be sprayed, brushed, or rolled.

Available in spray cans also.