PDA

View Full Version : Working for a hand car wash place.

marky3320
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I live near a hand car wash, which is pretty much around the corner from where I live. I noticed they are looking for people. Is it a good idea to work there on a weekend (I have a 9-5 job too), to get some experience, maybe steal some customers, or is it better just to work on friend's cars to gain experience.

ttnguyen104
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Imo trying to steal customers is bad karma but hey maybe you don't care about it. Also they are most likely more about production than perfection.

Sent from my HTC One X using AG Online

RZJZA80
08-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Work on your own car, family cars, and then when you are good, move on to others cars. Don't steal people or anything else, Karma is a real #####.

Not to mention that I don't think you want to learn what they do at a hand wash place, they are built for quantity, not quality.

T0RCH3D
08-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Agreed, I wouldnt step all over their business by going into it with the intent of taking their business. Also, learning from one of those shops is learning the hack way of detailing or more production over perfection as mentioned earlier. Stick around this forum a while and you will learn everything you need to know about detailing

marky3320
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
True guys. Learning from them is more like what not to do, and taking customers will only bite me in the arse in the end.

MikeAOK
08-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Work on your own car, family cars, and then when you are good, move on to others cars. Don't steal people or anything else, Karma is a real #####.

Not to mention that I don't think you want to learn what they do at a hand wash place, they are built for quantity, not quality.

Agreed!!!

I've been there before and you will not learn the right way. Plus product will be the same exact thing for every car. I even worked for a detailing shop and that wasn't all great. Pretty much worked on used dealer cars . I learned more doing it on my own working on my own car. I read this forum everyday to learn more and become better at it, as this is something I enjoy. Funny thing today, at my job(detail for dealership) the manager told me the truck I was doing needed wax. I then said what we use is not wax. He said yes that what we use. So we go to the supply closet find one bottle of wax and say, this is wax. Then I go on explain to him that what he learned was wrong. Polish and wax are two different things. I then took the bottle to my station and at least I know I'm the only one waxing the car. Bottle was even sealed, not being used. Long story short do it on your own.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Vegas Transplant
08-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Customers that you solicit at the instill-a-swirls aren't worth the hassle IMO.

Bill1234
08-01-2012, 07:25 PM
If people ask why does my paint and car look bad, point to a car wash, its so easy a caveman could do it =)

Kristopher1129
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Yes, work there...and steal as many customers as possible. I'm sure that would be a fantastic way to start some great word of mouth, ha. Good lord.