PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Guys

Slick773
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
So I'm new to detailing but been in Auto Business for over 15yrs. Im a painter for a Major Car Manufacture in the US. I ordered some products to make some Xtra cash. (kids in HS) I came across CG's, they have tons of product but it seems they all do the same thing. I'm looking for a product that save me time and money. Any suggestions?

Slick773
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Looking for something like a all in one. Compound and a Polish that can remove minor blemishes without leaving swirls, that I can top of with a wax and be done.

rider9195
08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I have yet to try a compound that I personally liked. But I heard the Optical line is good. I really like their Paint correction 1 for one step polishing. It cuts through swirls and leaves a great finish.

They have a All In One too. Just forget the name.

swanicyouth
08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
CG Website and marketing strategy is a bit unorthodox. They have many products that seem almost the same. They have other products that it's hard to get a strait answer exactly all what they do.

However, most of their stuff is very good and they seem successful so they must be doing something right. If you stick around here, you will see which products are truly exceptional.

I think some of the more popular products are: V7, Petes 53, 50/50, their shampoos (most excellent, especially Citrus Wash and Gloss), Blacklight, Stripper sent, Bare Bones, Lava, Jet Seal 109, M Seal, their towels, and XXX HARDCORE Paste Wax. For whatever reason, you don't see much to do about their traditional polishes.

Blacklight topped with V7 is a popular combo, but in true CG its hard to really define what Blacklight is. People day it has properties of a glaze, polish, LSP, or gloss enhancer. Either way, the stuff is pretty good. AG seems to have whittled the brand down a bit, carrying the more popular items.

Mike Phillips
08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm looking for a product that save me time and money. Any suggestions?

Optimum Polymer Technologies offers excellent products that include,

Compounds
Polishes
Sealants
One-step cleaner/waxes

Looking for something like a all in one. Compound and a Polish that can remove minor blemishes without leaving swirls, that I can top of with a wax and be done.

What kind of tool and pad are you using?

If you're only using a rotary buffer and a wool pad you're going to leave swirls.

If you do all your work in the past using only a rotary buffer then consider adding a DA Polisher to your arsenal. Then do your last machine step with the DA instead of the Rotary Buffer.

It's all about changing the action of the tool...

Watch this video as it demonstrated the three primary types of tools...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1153/Flex3401.jpg
Here's a video Yancy and I made showing the primary differences between three different drive mechanisms between popular polishers for machine buffing paint.

Flex 3401 - Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher.

Rotary Buffers - Direct Drive Single Action Polisher.

PC style DA Polishers - Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's G110v2 and Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher.

All about the FLEX-3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

All about the FLEX-3401 Forced Rotation Dual...

:)

Slick773
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Im using both a rotary (dewalt) and a DA( PC 7424). I use the dewalt with a medium cut foam pad, then PC for the rest of the process ( swirl removal then polish) It seems that I'm taking way to long on the paint finish. Looking to cut a step out

rmagnus
08-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Have you looked into Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction? There is a nice video on their 2 step system. I use the same tools as you do but pretty much stick to wash, clay, compound, polish & wax. Some cars I work on don't need the compound stage. I'm interested as well in the advise you wil get on this topic.

RGL
08-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I agree with Blacklight