PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Wheel Fail... Help!!!!

Djshadyad6
07-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Hey I am new to this forum. Well forums in general. But I have a question about a potential future customer of mine. He has aftermarket wheels on his 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Unfortunately the chrome on the wheels are starting to flake off. Kind of like something is "eating away" the chrome. Fortunately underneath the chrome reveals a nice black finish. You can scrap the chrome off with your fingernails. I placed a dab of all purpose cleaner on a rag and the chrome wipes right off. I was just wondering what chemicals can i use to bring out the black finish. or what machines can i use. I plan on starting a mobile set up soon. I have pics of how the wheel was brand new and some photos of how they look now. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!

jpegs13
08-01-2012, 04:37 AM
It appears that there was some flaw in the electroplating process. Perhaps the wheels weren't prepped correctly prior to the chrome bath.

I would try a mild polish or steel wool to remove the rest of the chrome. I can't imagine that it would be that easy to remove all of it.
But then again, they're ruined so you have nothing to lose.

Oh and since it's your first post :welcome:

Djshadyad6
08-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks @jpegs13. I was thinking of using a polish with like one of the electric drill attachments. Hoping that will work. Yea it is very easy to come off. It's weird. Never seen chrome do that. But thanks again. I will try that. I will keep u posted on how it goes.

poweraid
08-01-2012, 07:50 AM
wow I've never seen chrome wheels have happened what u have shown . did he buy these wheels new ? what manufacturer are they ? they look like pro comp. I know pro comp makes a lot of there wheels in same design in polished, chrome , and black . just kinda thinking if these wheels were purchased used . I've never done it nor have seen how good it could look , and maybe I'm off base , but u can get rattle can chrome paint or what u call it , just thinking if wheels were bought used that maybe someone did a fast one ? but anyways very weird to see chrome just come off like that .

poweraid
08-01-2012, 07:53 AM
also if these wheels were purchased new , I would contact the manufacturer regarding a warranty

vet
08-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Welcome!

Like Poweraid said, check into the warrenty before trying to take the finish off.

FUNX650
08-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Hey I am new to this forum. Well forums in general. But I have a question about a potential future customer of mine. He has aftermarket wheels on his 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Unfortunately the chrome on the wheels are starting to flake off. Kind of like something is "eating away" the chrome. Fortunately underneath the chrome reveals a nice black finish. You can scrap the chrome off with your fingernails. I placed a dab of all purpose cleaner on a rag and the chrome wipes right off. I was just wondering what chemicals can i use to bring out the black finish. or what machines can i use. I plan on starting a mobile set up soon. I have pics of how the wheel was brand new and some photos of how they look now. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!

-A "good" chrome (nickle-chromium) plated wheel should have at least two electroplated layers of nickel---a semi-bright, then a bright...
applied to the wheel before the electroplated chromium layer. (Some wheels even have a copper layer, or two, electroplated to the wheel
and then buffed-out as smooth as possible...before the initial nickle plating even occurs).

-From your description/pics: There seems to be no signs of nickle plating.
This leads me to believe that the peeling/flaking "chrome" is more than likely something akin to "chrome-look paint";
(or, who knows, maybe even a failed black-chroming attempt!!!)

-As others have said:
If indeed there was actual "chrome-peeling"...This is indicative of defective electroplating processes.

-So far it appears you're having pretty good luck on the total removal of 'this type of chrome'.
Just a matter of Polishing/protecting the underlying black-paint.

:)

Bob

swanicyouth
08-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Try blasting it off with a pressure washer with a turbo tip type attachment on the wand. If its coming off that easy, a pressure washer should knock most of it off no problem.

Djshadyad6
08-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys. I will try to get them looking new. The black finish is nice and glossy. He wants me to scrap the chrome and just leave them black. And he did purchase them new when he bought the vehicle. And they are pro comp 6001 I believe. I will let him know to check with the manufacturer to see if they are under any kind of warranty. I'll take some better pics later today and show u in more detail. It's almost like something was sprayed on it to eat the chrome away. I will keep you posted. Thanks again. :)

Vegas Transplant
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, are these solid wheels or steel wheels with chromed plastic face?

FUNX650
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, are these solid wheels or steel wheels with chromed plastic face?

^^^^Great question VT!!^^^^

(I thought I was getting pretty close):

This leads me to believe that the peeling/flaking "chrome" is more than likely something akin to "chrome-look paint";
(or, who knows, maybe even a failed black-chroming attempt!!!)

But...After reading your above post, and digging a little bit:

"Pro Comp"s newest chrome wheel styles feature a unique show finish which Pro Comp calls HD Chrome. This new chrome finish looks identical to traditional chrome plating but is five times more resistant to corrosion. It"s easy to maintain too, requiring only soap and water to keep the finish bright and clean.

HD Chrome is applied using an advanced process called Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) that basically combines powder coating and vacuum metallization together producing an extremely durable chrome finish with a deep appearance equal to traditional chrome.

The wheels first receive the decorative metallic layer and then an additional clear powder top-coat.

The new finish is so durable, it meets OE auto manufacturer requirements. Pro Comp even backs its wheels with the HD Chrome finish with a 3 Year Finish Warranty.

Pro Comp"s HD Chrome finish is also better for the environment because it uses no hazardous materials and produces no hazardous waste in the application process".

Thanks again, VT, for your very enlightening question!

Bob

Vegas Transplant
08-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks FUN.
Had a Durango last year with similar face, but only heavily scratched from driving in snow.
Being relatively new to the internet, I just recently saw this 3 yr old video
new revolutionary chrome plating system rear door - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Up_CLJXRyaM)

poweraid
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
then wheels should last longer than 3 years if even that old . contact pro comp before u go cleaning it all off . pro comp chrome wheels have a longer warranty than non chrome . hope still have the receipt or purchase order . could maybe end up with a new set of wheels

FUNX650
08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
He has aftermarket wheels on his 2009 Jeep Wrangler.

Pro Comp even backs its wheels with the HD Chrome finish with a 3 Year Finish Warranty.

then wheels should last longer than 3 years if even that old . contact pro comp before u go cleaning it all off . pro comp chrome wheels have a longer warranty than non chrome . hope still have the receipt or purchase order . could maybe end up with a new set of wheels

^^^:props:^^^

Bob

Djshadyad6
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Yea they are the HD chrome. And his warranty is over. It was only a three year warranty. Only three out of the five wheels look like that. The spare wheel and one on the front pass side. Looks a little chrome. But they still have a blackish chrome look to them.