PDA

View Full Version : Paint Repair Question

DarksBane
07-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Hello there, I'm extremely new here. Account just activated today. I've been lurking around through the news feed posts on Facebook for a couple weeks now. I was wondering if you guys could help me with a paint problem on my 89 Toyota Supra. I just recently bought the car (still has paper plates) and the body/paint is in fairly good condition, except for on the front bumper. The lady I purchased it from let it sit for over a year without any maintenance or washing/waxing. I believe the bumper is made of fiberglass, but won't swear to it. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly why the paint did what it did. I believe it had sat under a tree and tree detritus/sap has caused this problem. Or maybe it's just sun fading?

I don't plan on this car ever being a show car, and it doesn't get garaged as I do not have one and is a daily driver. But I would like to be able to fix this. I do not have access to power tools and the like to use, nor the money for high-grade professional style products. Anyway, getting slightly off topic. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix this problem or at least diminish it? I'll post a picture below of what I'm talking about. I have used a Meguiar's Clay Kit with no luck in regards to this part of the paint,(the rest of the paint it did wonders on. It brought back the metallic flaking that you couldn't see anymore) and don't know where else to go to try and repair it myself. It's just kind of disheartening to see this marring when the car has already gotten so many compliments in the short time I've owned it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/46306/100_9357.JPG

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read through the wall of text and giving me some input.

darkangelism
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
The Meguiar's Clay Kit is not an aggressive clay, so that normal people dont screw up, when I was using the kit last weekend I found that it wasnt strong enough for the bumpers, you might want to try and strong clay bar

JAF06SE
08-01-2012, 01:31 PM
You could try the mothers clay kit. It's a little coarser than the megs. Are they bumps on the car? It's hard to tell if it something on the paint or if they are little rock chips from the pic.

DarksBane
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
I'll try and pick up a more aggressive clay; thanks for the input. The Meguair's did wonderful on the rest of the car, even the back bumper. It just didn't work on the front here in this spot.

No, they aren't bumps on the car. It's actually relatively smooth. Almost like it's stained? And it doesn't look the same as normal rock chips if you could see it in person, I know it's hard to tell from the photo. And the spots are gray in color. Like I said before. I'm not sure what caused this because I just recently purchased the vehicle and it was like this already.

I've used rubbing compound before, for rust stains on paint for a different vehicle. Would that possibly work?

JAF06SE
08-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Rubbing compound may work. Try polishing compound first as its not as aggressive as the RC. If that won't work then step up to the RC.