PDA

View Full Version : To Re-Opti Coat or Not... Input Wanted!

swanicyouth
07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
So, I posted a little while ago that my Opti Coat I applied in March or so seems to have disappeared. From what I can tell, there is no signs of it on the truck. No beading, sheeting, etc...

Initially I just decided to re-apply it. Do all the prep: wash with CG Citrus Red(car was recently clayed), re-polish(this time with Polish II), clean surfaces with wax and tar remover, APC+, then Griots Paint Prep, Erasor, then re wash with CG Citrus Red, then rinse down with DI water - all with brand new unused microfibers.

I have a few questions:

1. I'm thinking of bagging the whole thing and just going with Fuzio over Wolfgang Sealant. For those long term Opti Coaters out there, are you happy with the finish after some time passed. Is it still beading? Would you do it again? I've seen a few others where the coating has seemed to "vanish". Anyone else out there??

2. I know my prep is a bit excessive, however I did the "IPA wipe down" thoroughly last time. That was 6 months ago and now there is no sign of the coating. I'm thinking last time there must have been some polishing remnants on the surface, or I had a bad syringe of OC, as it did bead well after application - so I know it was there at one point...... Is there anything in my prep that could be wrong this time?????

Thanks for feedback!

embolism
07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
I can't help thinking that all those cleaning steps are each leaving behind a little something that eventually leads to bonding issues.

It may take a bit of time but to know for sure on your truck maybe choose a small panel and go through a simple process of wash, clay, polish II, wipe with a damp mf or wash with ONR, then opticoat and don't touch it for 3 months other than normal washing...

that torture test you did at 70hrs may not have been on fully cured OC. I did a miata recently and left some high spots on the hood which I took down with poliseal by hand on a foam applicator and it only took about 5 seconds of light rubbing to do it. I was pretty shocked at how easily the product was levelled even after a week.

On the other hand, my summer rims were OC'd after they came off last Nov (just washed, iron X'd and dried -- no polish, no wipedown) but they sat there untouched all winter (so the OC had a chance to cure). To this day, they are fine and brake dust comes off like a dream.

That's all I can think of for your situation (simpler process and cure time). Hope you figure it out.

arack
07-31-2012, 11:56 AM
So, I posted a little while ago that my Opti Coat I applied in March or so seems to have disappeared. From what I can tell, there is no signs of it on the truck. No beading, sheeting, etc...

Initially I just decided to re-apply it. Do all the prep: wash with CG Citrus Red(car was recently clayed), re-polish(this time with Polish II), clean surfaces with wax and tar remover, APC+, then Griots Paint Prep, Erasor, then re wash with CG Citrus Red, then rinse down with DI water - all with brand new unused microfibers.

I have a few questions:

1. I'm thinking of bagging the whole thing and just going with Fuzio over Wolfgang Sealant. For those long term Opti Coaters out there, are you happy with the finish after some time passed. Is it still beading? Would you do it again? I've seen a few others where the coating has seemed to "vanish". Anyone else out there??

2. I know my prep is a bit excessive, however I did the "IPA wipe down" thoroughly last time. That was 6 months ago and now there is no sign of the coating. I'm thinking last time there must have been some polishing remnants on the surface, or I had a bad syringe of OC, as it did bead well after application - so I know it was there at one point...... Is there anything in my prep that could be wrong this time?????

Thanks for feedback!

My Opti Coat is still beading like crazy and sheeting water. This is over a year later. I am happy with it. The sealants and waxes are ok, but they require a lot of maintainence.

Perfections
07-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Polish with polish 2 remove with a damp mf, then eraser and coat. Don't over think it...remember KISS.

swanicyouth
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I have a week off from work to do this. I thought I was just going to bag it and go with wax, but waxing that Pathfinder is a lot of work.

RaskyR1
07-31-2012, 03:30 PM
I say if you don't like waxing ofetn then try and recoat it, but I don't think you need to go that crazy with the prep.

I honestly have yet to see one of my clients cars that was not still beading like day one, even after a year+. I have the Grey M3 I used for this Opti-Coat application video
this Opti-Coat application video last year coming in tomorrow for an interior. I will probably wash it too and take a video of how it's beading now. I believe it was July/August last year when I coated it, but I'll have to look at the image info to know for sure.

I also have this CTS-V (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/34973-black-cts-v-heavy-paint-correction-opti-guard-coating.html) coming in Friday for a touch up since he had some paint work done. This one was done in April 2011 so I'll also check and see how it's beading....hopefully it's free of over spray....

Old Tiger
07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
I agree with KISS. You just need Optimum Polish and a damp MF. I use distilled water to be sure I dont leave anything behind!