PDA

View Full Version : Pro Shop vs new polisher

sportzfan76
07-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Hello -

I have been detailing my own vehs myself for the last several years myself....i have gathered a wealth of knowledge from this website.

Question envolves my black car. This one is by far the highest maintainance. I really struggle with time and effort to keep this car swirl free.
Currently using the McGuiars G110. Not sure if I should invest in the Flex 3401 and
continue the "paint correction" myself or just take this car to a pro w/Orbital 2 x a year for a polish, and continue to do the remaining steps myself ??? It seems that the pro can do a better job at this step than I can with my current equipment and several hours of labor for somewhat disapointing results.

Input appreciated. Thank you

Setec Astronomy
07-31-2012, 09:42 AM
What pads/products are you using with your G110?

sportzfan76
07-31-2012, 10:03 AM
What pads/products are you using with your G110?

I use Menzerna Intensive - usually with an Orange Pad and then Final with either white or Blue. I try to avoid using the Yellow pad. I use Mcguiars 105 with orange pad on the more difficult spots.

Car looks great in the shade, but in the sun....

Setec Astronomy
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
What is that, a BMW? Does it have that really soft jet black paint? If so, I've heard stories about that being almost impossible to work with.

If it's just "regular" black, what do you want to do? Do you want to work on your technique, perhaps trying some other products/pads, or do you just want to punt and go to a pro?

BobbyG
07-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Most of the final results come from proper preparation and technique and all this comes from doing.

Black is not a color, it's a full time job. Keeping a black finish swirl free and driving it daily is nearly impossible and some concessions might need to be made.

Detailing done correctly takes time, black takes even longer. If you can't get the finish 100% swirl free then how does adding a glaze like PoorBoy's World Black Hole or Chemical Guys Black Light to the process prior to sealing?

Glazes fill those tinny imperfections seemingly making them disappear. The unfortunate truth is they'll be back unless mechanically removed prior to sealing and waxing.

Remember, there's no grantee that the "Pro" you're taking it to will do any better job than you but he will charge you for it...

cleanmycorolla
07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
I agree with BobbyG, he always has great advice! Use a glaze! Maybe take out some swirls and such, but you dont want to be chewing up your paint anyway all the time, and glaze is what fills that void. It will give you a visual appearance, granted to our crazy eyes our cars will never be perfect, but they look it to 99.999999% of everyone else.

Like Bobby suggested get some CG BlackLight, or try Blackfires Gloss Enhancing Polish put on a good sealant or maybe even something like opti coat if you try to remove swirls, at least with opti coat you can have an extra barrier of good protection...

Either way, keep it fun, thats what this is about! :)

sportzfan76
07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
What is that, a BMW? Does it have that really soft jet black paint? If so, I've heard stories about that being almost impossible to work with.

Jet Black (668) - that's the one ! It should've probably been numbered as 666 !

Setec Astronomy
07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Jet Black (668) - that's the one ! It should've probably been numbered as 666 !

I did an advanced search on titles with "BMW Jet Black". You didn't say what year your car is, and it seems this paint isn't as problematic now as in the mid 00's, I picked two that I thought were relevant, you can search for more:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/42745-corrention-choice-jet-black-bmw.html?highlight=BMW+Jet+black (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/42745-corrention-choice-jet-black-bmw.html?highlight=BMW+Jet+black)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25651-petruccim3-bmw-e92-m3-jet-black.html (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25651-petruccim3-bmw-e92-m3-jet-black.html)

sportzfan76
07-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the insight. So, bottom line, would the Flex 3401 make any difference vs the G110 ? And secondly, if i use a glaze, I must seal it before waxing ? In the past I would always use Klasse HGS after the polishing, but now i skip this step and go straight to wax. It saves time and does not appear to diminish the shine. and the Klasse HGS is not a glaze itself, is it ? Thanx.

rider9195
07-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the insight. So, bottom line, would the Flex 3401 make any difference vs the G110 ? And secondly, if i use a glaze, I must seal it before waxing ? In the past I would always use Klasse HGS after the polishing, but now i skip this step and go straight to wax. It saves time and does not appear to diminish the shine. and the Klasse HGS is not a glaze itself, is it ? Thanx.

The Flex wouldn't make a difference. I would get a glaze such as Chemical Guys Glosswork Glaze or Prima Amigo. Both will fill those really light imperfections. Then top with a sealant, and finally a wax.

umi000
07-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Perhaps polish the car out, then put on some Opti-Coat or CQuartz? Might help with the soft paint.