PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bucket Method, it works!

Pages : [1] 2

NFA
07-31-2012, 12:13 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/DDN79/IMG_7425.jpg

Wheels were washed first and rinse bucket was cleaned out afterwards. This is all from the body of the 09 Z06 I had in this past weekend. The car hasn't been washed in 2 months and been through several rainstorms, only driven several times a month.

I use 2 different colors for my grit guards. Looking from above you can sometime get lost on which one is which once both buckets has a layer of foam on top. Blue is always the fresh soapy water and the red is rinse water.

End product. Light polish since the car really didn't have that many swirls on the finish. Opticoat for the LSP
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/DDN79/IMG_7420.jpg

AutowerxDetailing
07-31-2012, 02:03 AM
That's a good idea on the different color grit guards. I try to use two different color buckets but sometimes if I am in a hurry I end up grabbing two same color buckets and have a hard time remembering which is wash and which is rinse.

It is amazing sometimes how much dirt comes off a relatively clean looking vehicle.

random
07-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Use a sharpie and label your buckets. It may not be the prettiest, especially depending on your penmanship, but it's effective. :)

Also, I use a third bucket for wheels. I simply don't take any chances by using the same bucket for washing/rinsing the paint even after rinsing or cleaning out the bucket used for the wheels. My third bucket is also a convenient for soaking/cleaning and then storing all the various brushes I use only on the wheels when I'm done.

faulksy
08-01-2012, 06:24 AM
My third bucket is also a convenient for soaking/cleaning and then storing all the various brushes I use only on the wheels when I'm done.

This is exactly what I have starting do. It's not only reducing the risk but cuts down my clean up time.

Klasse Act
08-01-2012, 07:54 AM
"The car hasn't been washed in 2 monthes", I'm having a nervous breakdown and its not even my car:wow: I seem to see more Corvette's dirty than I see clean, I just don't get it!

Car came out great, love the charcoal wheels on silver:dblthumb2:

bsell
08-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Use a sharpie and label your buckets. It may not be the prettiest, especially depending on your penmanship, but it's effective. :)

:iagree:I have 3 Home Depot buckets that I labeled with a sharpie. 1 for wheels, 1 for wash, & 1 for rinse. With grit guards of course!

vet
08-01-2012, 08:07 AM
I got the AG labels on my last order to go with the AG buckets I got earlier. I use the old cheapie bucket with a different kind of grit guard for wheels now.

The Vette looks great, by the way.

marky3320
08-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Wow, I totally underestimate the amount of grit that can come off the wash mitt. I love the car!

Wheelzntoys
08-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Thee best, 3 grit guards in your rinse bucket.

Twister
08-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I have an Autogeek sticker on my wash bucket and the other is plain.

It's amazing how much dirt collects at the bottom of the bucket. Sometimes I'll dump the rinse bucket half way through and refill if the car is really dirty.

faulksy
08-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Thee best, 3 grit guards in your rinse bucket.

Probably total overkill. The higher your grit guards are the more difficult it becomes to rinse your wash media as it sits closer to the suds. If the car is that dirty that you need 3 grit guards then I strongly suggest changing rinse water during the wash or have more than 1 rinse bucket.

Toy_Cam_Ed
08-02-2012, 01:22 AM
The first car I used the "grit guard" on was my latest. ( I still contest there are other ways to do it) and guess what? No dirt showed up. Granted, it was a relatively clean car in need of swirl removal, but anyway, I'm willing to get with the program.

For the record, the clay was basically clean after each section. So yeah, maybe this car wasn't a good candidate for testing grit guard. ( for dd's, I still say the 2 bucket method works without grit guard) wash/rinse. People are just too anal. Or just rinse off your mitt/sponge after each section with a high pressure hose. What a novel idea. Actually I trust blasting away the grime instead of "hoping" it settles at the bottom of my bucket. Then again, what the heck do I know? ;)

AutowerxDetailing
08-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Use a sharpie and label your buckets. It may not be the prettiest, especially depending on your penmanship, but it's effective. :).

In my case it would look like a 5 year old drawing letters on each bucket, LOL.

I like the sticker idea someone else posted... might have to try that.

Toy_Cam_Ed
08-02-2012, 03:37 AM
In my case it would look like a 5 year old drawing letters on each bucket, LOL.

I like the sticker idea someone else posted... might have to try that.
sharpie? I'm going to blow this grit guard sham out of the water. I can't believe people think this is the best science brings them. I will prove it too. Grit guard, bye bye.

Really? Is this the best we have is that we wave our hand in a bucket and hope that all the dirt stays on the bottom? Is this the 80's? I'll prove everyone wrong. Give me time. This is ridiculous. It's like when everyone accepted the world was flat. Anyone that understands basic physics knows there's a better way. I said too much.

darkangelism
08-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Really? Is this the best we have is that we wave our hand in a bucket and hope that all the dirt stays on the bottom? Is this the 80's? I'll prove everyone wrong. Give me time. This is ridiculous. It's like when everyone accepted the world was flat. Anyone that understands basic physics knows there's a better way. I said too much.

Wave hand in the bucket? I guess it is that motion but with pressure and scraping against the grit guard.

Are there better methods, sure, foam cannon and separate wash mitts for each panel, would eliminate dirty mitts from touching the car, but grit guard is much better than no grit guard if 2 bucket washing, or doing a 1 bucket like a lot of car owners.