PDA

View Full Version : Stepping it back a bit - makes more money at times!

Bates Detailing
07-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Hey guys - wanted to share the experience of getting OVERWHELMED with you all :

The past 7 months we have been ridiculously slammed - to the point where I hired 4 more guys (2 of which failed early, but the other 2 made the cut). We have been pulling roughly 5,000 a week in revenue and feel it! Even with the extra guys, Tyson and I are and have been working 15 to 24 hour days - yes 24 hour days! We have finally decided to slow down so that we can progress.... seems backwards but it is a necessary move for sure. If for some reason you get to the point of working 15 plus hours a day..... please learn from our strains and either book less, or hire help. We worked over 38 hours straight on autos and buses a few days back and we both felt the pain from it - we were worthless for a day + after that..... had to reschedule, and refuel our bodies - For any of you that have DETAILED 2 + cars in a day you know what I mean! Imagine this scenario all day everyday since JAN.! Anyhow - I wanted to let those know that start to get overwhelmed to go ahead and book lightly, I learned the hard way cause I am currently sick as a dog and can't push it like I normally can :/ Not worth your health guys!

Vegas Transplant
07-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Maybe you should also follow some of the advice here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/47093-sick-tired-sore-what-your-product-choice.html ...maybe even Porsche Pilots if you are so inclined :laughing::laughing::laughing:

DetailedByPrecision
07-31-2012, 12:33 AM
thank you for your first hand experience and knowledge within the detailing industry as a detailer and a business owner.

Bates Detailing
07-31-2012, 12:40 AM
Maybe you should also follow some of the advice here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/47093-sick-tired-sore-what-your-product-choice.html ...maybe even Porsche Pilots if you are so inclined :laughing::laughing::laughing:

LOL MAN - I have been eating better since then I suppose..... but no matter how well you eat, these hours will make you sick!

thank you for your first hand experience and knowledge within the detailing industry as a detailer and a business owner.

Yeah man, Ive concentrated on growth the last 2 years..... growth has come, but at an exponential rate - a rate that is almost unbearable :/ - maybe taking it slower is the way to go for most out there.

mhphoto
07-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Dang! Wish I had that problem…

dwlinc23
07-31-2012, 02:23 AM
Wow! Not even close to your experience, bit I did a full detail and a "try-out" car for a used car lot for a lot ready car. Heat index was 105 and I was done just after those. Felt like crap the next day and was useless. Couldn't imagine your days. The good news out of it is I got the gig for the lot. He does a lot of sales, so should get some business from him even though it's wholesale work.

Mike Phillips
07-31-2012, 06:45 AM
I learned the hard way cause I am currently sick as a dog and can't push it like I normally can :/ Not worth your health guys!

Been there and done that earlier in my life and learned the same lesson you're learning. That said, sometimes you have to do what you have to do...

One thing for sure, all you have to go is lose your health to learn real quick to appreciate it.

Keep on keeping on...

:xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
07-31-2012, 10:08 AM
Hey Anthony...!!

-I'm glad that your Business has grown to its current level...for you, your family, and your employees financial well-being.

-But, I'm also extremely proud of your being cognizant of the dangers to your physiological/psychological well-being
imposed by "overworking", without the Rest&Recuperative-periods a person's body/mind requires.
(And Thanks! for passing-on this important information :props:)

-If I remember correctly you are a martial-arts athlete/aficionado. Perhaps your training in this field has awakened this:
"stepping it back a bit" logic.

-(I'm sure you already know these factors)...
To further use this Martial-arts athlete/'Detailing-athlete' analogy...
Some of the symptoms that are indicative of, let me say: Over-reaching/Over-training/Over-detailing:

-Changes in the following human-systems: hormonal; immune; musculoskeletal; metabolic ...
And most importantly: ones Heart-rates---maximum (220 minus age), aerobicic/anaerobic, and, 'at-rest'.
None of these factors, IMO, can be overlooked, or treated as being minutiae.

-I personally found this out the hard way: When I was working 16+ hours/7-days-a-week/for-a-very-very-long-stretch
of my working career...Trying to: "get ahead in life".

Although my current psychological state appears to be quite wholesome (depending on the source, of course)...
Overwork has taken a heavy toll on my current, physical well-being.
(Medical bills can eat-up a lot of that hard-earned-monies :( )

-[U]Also...I missed the kids' growing-up-events...Something I truly now regret.

-Anyway...
I hope someday you will consider becoming more of a Business Owner/Operator...
and leave all of the 'hands-on detailing' (except for your favorite projects) in the hands of your trusted employees.

IMHO...Hard to run a Business while doing the work of the Business.

As always...Continued success in life, my Good Man!!

:)

Bob

rustytruck
07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
It's your business build it the way you want it.

From reading your posts and looking at your website I always thought of you as the guy who works on the big stuff. Buses motorhome and houseboats. Why don't you just do that and drop autos altogether.

I find Rv's to be much more profitable than autos. My plan is to be a Rv only company by the spring of 2014.

Good luck. If you specialize your business it will probably be easier on your body and better for your wallet. Most guys need to diversify to gain more business. You are in a position where you can specialize to grow your business.

Remember to take a little time off at some point this year. You deserve it.

RoPaJa
07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Glad you understand that you need to slow down and kiss those beautiful kids a little more. Sorry your body had to force you to stop. So get well soon.

Cosmin
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Hey guys - wanted to share the experience of getting OVERWHELMED with you all :
Not worth your health guys!

i had the other day 3 days in a row of 8am-9pm , and in 100+ outside , each day i change at least 7 t-shirts.

for a few days is worth it but on long run , it drains all your energy.

Bates Detailing
08-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Wow! Not even close to your experience, bit I did a full detail and a "try-out" car for a used car lot for a lot ready car. Heat index was 105 and I was done just after those. Felt like crap the next day and was useless. Couldn't imagine your days. The good news out of it is I got the gig for the lot. He does a lot of sales, so should get some business from him even though it's wholesale work.

Yeah man - the heat is an added stress here as well - Im starting to think that detailers are some of the toughest guys out there lol.

Been there and done that earlier in my life and learned the same lesson you're learning. That said, sometimes you have to do what you have to do...

One thing for sure, all you have to go is lose your health to learn real quick to appreciate it.

Keep on keeping on...

:xyxthumbs:

Very true Mike - So you have been there and done that too? Hopefully it all pays off one day like it has for you man :dblthumb2: Hopefully!

Hey Anthony...!!

-I'm glad that your Business has grown to its current level...for you, your family, and your employees financial well-being.

-But, I'm also extremely proud of your being cognizant of the dangers to your physiological/psychological well-being
imposed by "overworking", without the Rest&Recuperative-periods a person's body/mind requires.
(And Thanks! for passing-on this important information :props:)

-If I remember correctly you are a martial-arts athlete/aficionado. Perhaps your training in this field has awakened this:
"stepping it back a bit" logic.

-(I'm sure you already know these factors)...
To further use this Martial-arts athlete/'Detailing-athlete' analogy...
Some of the symptoms that are indicative of, let me say: Over-reaching/Over-training/Over-detailing:

-Changes in the following human-systems: hormonal; immune; musculoskeletal; metabolic ...
And most importantly: ones Heart-rates---maximum (220 minus age), aerobicic/anaerobic, and, 'at-rest'.
None of these factors, IMO, can be overlooked, or treated as being minutiae.

-I personally found this out the hard way: When I was working 16+ hours/7-days-a-week/for-a-very-very-long-stretch
of my working career...Trying to: "get ahead in life".

Although my current psychological state appears to be quite wholesome (depending on the source, of course)...
Overwork has taken a heavy toll on my current, physical well-being.
(Medical bills can eat-up a lot of that hard-earned-monies :( )

-[U]Also...I missed the kids' growing-up-events...Something I truly now regret.

-Anyway...
I hope someday you will consider becoming more of a Business Owner/Operator...
and leave all of the 'hands-on detailing' (except for your favorite projects) in the hands of your trusted employees.

IMHO...Hard to run a Business while doing the work of the Business.

As always...Continued success in life, my Good Man!!

:)

Bob

Wow Bob - thanx for the detailed response man. I always feel like I learn tons from your thread responses man :dblthumb2: Goal is definitely to let others take care of the daily operations - only getting the proper guys to sign my name on the finished product will be tough to find :/ Will take time, but I think all will be well :props:

It's your business build it the way you want it.

From reading your posts and looking at your website I always thought of you as the guy who works on the big stuff. Buses motorhome and houseboats. Why don't you just do that and drop autos altogether.

I find Rv's to be much more profitable than autos. My plan is to be a Rv only company by the spring of 2014.

Good luck. If you specialize your business it will probably be easier on your body and better for your wallet. Most guys need to diversify to gain more business. You are in a position where you can specialize to grow your business.

Remember to take a little time off at some point this year. You deserve it.

Very good idea man - we have completely dropped office prices (not on website) and Level I auto details (need to fix that)...... But I can say that my goal is to be have a quality name in each and every sub-industry in detailing - Auto,RV,Bus,Boats,Aircraft,Fleets,etc. So far its paying off :buffing:

Glad you understand that you need to slow down and kiss those beautiful kids a little more. Sorry your body had to force you to stop. So get well soon.

Yeah man, the kids are surely one of my personal issues with staying so busy - I really wish I could be home more for them...... but my hopes are that all this work will allow more time with them in the next couple of years.

i had the other day 3 days in a row of 8am-9pm , and in 100+ outside , each day i change at least 7 t-shirts.

for a few days is worth it but on long run , it drains all your energy.

Yeah man - it hurts!

I appreciate everyone's well wishes - and I apologize for the late response back! Why did it take so long to respond lol? Cause once again I pulled another 3? hour day lol - I decided to book nothing the last few days, but we ended up picking up another major company (can't say no) and a few emergency details from my current clients lol. So with 5 bus details, and 6 random "we need you now!" calls from a client - my booking nothing turned into a fiasco anyway lol! Either way, thanx for all your responses - I appreciate them greatly :dblthumb2:

Love's Auto
03-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Our shop is similar doing $3-$5k a week with only a two man crew and I'm over the stress and I'm planning on going completely mobile, the money isn't worth the lack of time with family and friends.