PDA

View Full Version : Black and micro-scratches after correction

Spiney
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
I corrected and polished my 96 SVT Cobra using the Meg's DA MF System. I then used Optima UPG+ as an LSP. For my first time it looked pretty good. I've since washed it 2x, dryed with leaf blower and detailed with Optima UD+. I was prepping it for a show this weekend and while detailing it with a fresh MF cloth I noticed very fine straight line scratches in the hood in very bright sun. That upset me. In general you don't see it, but it's a weekend car, only been corrected a little over a month. Am I driving myself nuts or is this par for the course with certain gloss black cars?

Follow up, if there is a way to not have this happen should I be able to correct these with just polish and not have to compound again?

My LSP was 2 coats of UPG+. Would it help to top that with Collonite 845 which was my original intent? I only corrected the top 1/3 of the car so far. The hood, roof, trunk, pillars, and tops of the quarters. I hope to visit Tuscarora Dave someday and learn how to do it right.

Thanks, Spiney-Dave

rider9195
07-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Dave,

I would say it is just part of owning a black car. Are you using grit guards in your wash bucket? Make sure when wiping the wash mitt over the paint your are just gliding over and nit applying any pressure.

Also use the softest and most plush MF towel when using the Optimum Quick Detailer as it will reduce the chance of marring the paint.

Spiney
07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
I use the 2 bucket method with grit guards and 2 different MF wash mitts. I also use my power washer to pre apply soap in an effort to lift any dirt off. The car is driven only in best of weather and never really gets that dirty just dust and bugs on front fascia.

I have A pair of cobra plush MF towels for buffing and about 6 Meg's MF towels. Then a collection of store bought MF towels. Are any OTC MF towels any good or should a buy more cobra towels while the sale is on? In the Bogo section are Chinchilla towels or similar looking 16x24 towels w/ Bogo 2 $12.99. Is one better than other? Thanks, Dave