PDA

View Full Version : Detailer's High Performance Glass Restorer Scratched windows?!?

SpoofMastaFly
07-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Just bought my wife a 2010 Honda Civic.. Looks as if the previous owner NEVER applied anytype of protectant on the vehicle.. Waterspots/swirls all over everything. Gave me a perfect reason to restock on my polishing supplies.. The worse off on the vehicle is the windows though, and getting them tinted made it look terrible! Keep in mind I traded in my 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 that I bought new can kept cleaner than a 5 star restaurant's bathroom!

Anyway I searched around on Autogeek a little, seemed like everyone had great success with Detailer's High Performance Glass Restorer. I also bought some Griots Garage 3" Glass Polishing Disc's. After cleaning the window's very thoroughly ensuring there was nothing on the surface other than the waterspots I wanted to remove. I got out my PC, set it to 5 and started to polish. Not using much pressure against the glass. Once the DP started to dry, I quit and buffed with a MF. WOW the waterspots were gone! I was happy, didn't notice any scratchs yet.. but I didnt pull out a flash light to check either.. Mistake.. I kept polishing some more, and even a little test spot on the windshield were it was EXTREMELY hazy. Again, the surface spots were removed.. Then I decided to stop till morning, but pulled out a flash light to further inspect. Thats when I noticed LOTS and LOTS of circular scratches.. all over the area's I had removed the waterspots from.. Even one pretty deep scratch on the drivers side window. The test spot on the windsheild (luckly out of eye site) was covered in scratches also.. No idea how I'm going to correct this. I don't own a rotary, I could rent one from the local detailer shop from here not sure If I'm wanting to go that route yet. Oh and a not so happy wife isnt a good thing either. Atleast removing the majority of the water spots and swirls from her paint went without issue!

I've already bought Diamondite® Glasswork System Kit for Machine Application (http://www.autogeek.net/diglkitforma.html)and CarPro Ceriglass Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-kit.html) to see if these products could help at all with removing some of these light scratches. The 1 deep scratch will probably not be affected at all..

No pictures yet, I'll take some tonight.

rider9195
07-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Did you clay your windshield? The CeriGlass if anything will make it worse as it is more aggressive due the Cerium oxide.

One thing you should try is using a polishing pad. Like a white Lake Country pad. Those Griot's Glass Pads are aggressive just like the Lake Country Glass Cutting Pads.

So try it with a polishing pad.

Also, read this thread. It is a great how to walk through!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52179-autowerx-ceriglass-guide.html

SpoofMastaFly
07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Clayed the glass when I clayed the car prior to using the DP polish.

SpoofMastaFly
07-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Question: Would a Flex3401VRG allow me to use enough pressure as if I was using a rotary? I would get more use out of buying the Flex3401VRG than buying a rotary.. and I been wanting to find an excuse to buy one.. ha..

Nick McKees37
07-30-2012, 08:16 PM
DP Glass Restorer doesn't contain an abrasive anywhere near aggressive enough to scratch glass.

Most likely what happened is you had a small dirt or sand particle get stuck between your glass pad and the glass itself.

Ceriglass, when used properly, should certainly take care of the scratches. There are several helpful articles that can be found on here regarding proper use of Ceriglass. :dblthumb2:

AutowerxDetailing
07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Question: Would a Flex3401VRG allow me to use enough pressure as if I was using a rotary? I would get more use out of buying the Flex3401VRG than buying a rotary.. and I been wanting to find an excuse to buy one.. ha..

For correcting glass the Flex3401 would work great. The key with glass polishing is you really do not need or want high speed, you simply need to be able to apply pressure over the pad AND keep the pad spinning. Any rotary or forced rotation machine will work great. I have never used the Flex but Corey had great results with his Flex and CeriGlass in his original review a few months back.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/43988-review-carpro-ceriglass.html

SpoofMastaFly
07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks Nick, I'm assuming that's what happend as well. The DP did look to have some pretty decent size abrasives in it, sandy texture.

After looking at the Autowerx CeriGlass Guide that rider9195 posted, those pictures before and after the polish was applied is exactly what my scratches look like. Besides the 1 larger deep scratch that is there and was probably there before just hit by the waterspots.

mg6045
07-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks Nick, I'm assuming that's what happend as well. The DP did look to have some pretty decent size abrasives in it, sandy texture.

After looking at the Autowerx CeriGlass Guide that rider9195 posted, those pictures before and after the polish was applied is exactly what my scratches look like. Besides the 1 larger deep scratch that is there and was probably there before just hit by the waterspots.

its from the pad, not the product. dp glass restorer is actually a smooth product that does not scratch.

SpoofMastaFly
07-31-2012, 03:54 AM
its from the pad, not the product. dp glass restorer is actually a smooth product that does not scratch.

To late now but I'll get a picture of the Dp, I could see the particles in the product before it touched the pad.