PDA

View Full Version : Finally figured it out!!

Ryansdetailing
07-30-2012, 06:25 PM
I know everyone will not agree with me BUT, Had a vehicle in my shop today that was COVERED in yellow and white line paint. Had great success using plastic razor blades and Xylene on a terry towel. I asked a professional painter at our local body shop (who i trust with my vehicles) if it would hurt the paint,clearcoat or plastic..he told me theres no way it will hurt ANYTHING unless your using it in an unsafe manner. Most of you may not be able to find this product because of Voc compliance but if you can it is a must have in your shop!

Wheelzntoys
07-30-2012, 06:37 PM
I used plastic razors for bee poop and have used gasoline for paint remover with a microfiber.

Ryansdetailing
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
never seen bee poop here in pennsylvania, and gasoline? you cant tell me thats safe..

EddieF
07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
I've been looking like crazy on AG to find those plastic razor blades, where can i find them? Thanks.

Ryansdetailing
07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
I buy mine at a body shop supply store called API. Im not sure why autogeek doesnt carry them

mleun481
07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
AG used to carry them: ScrapeRite Plastic Razor Blades, Scrape-Rite Razor Blades, Plastic blades (http://www.autogeek.net/scraperite-plastic-razor-blades.html)
Not sure why they're not available anymore.

EddieF
07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Thank you gentleman, very helpful.

Danster
07-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Check your local Sherwin Williams for Xylene. Bought some before to use as a booster for my car (
gas and xylene mixed)

DaHen
07-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I've been looking like crazy on AG to find those plastic razor blades, where can i find them? Thanks.

Got mine at my friendly neighborhood ACE hardware store. Comes in a package with five blades and a mini scraper to hold the blades.

kmsdetailing
07-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I finished a job today for paint overspray. Used Pinnacle Poly Clay and Pinnacle Clay Lubricant. I used this glass clay I purchased outside of AG; needed it today but I'll stock it in the future. Also used Invisible glass.

Took me 2.75 hours to complete.

I did a seach on Xylene and that stuff looks dangerous.

richy
07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I'll be posting a thread tomorrow night for an A7 with cement and road paint. Stay tuned.

jwgreen6
07-30-2012, 10:33 PM
For road line paint removal, try "Get Off Clean (http://www.gocleanproducts.com/2011/07/get-off-clean/)" by Go Clean Products, located in Avilla IN, just north of Fort Wayne. Other pro detailers have stated a paint reducer will also remove road line paint splatter, too.

BillE
07-31-2012, 07:24 AM
PLEASE be sure to work in a WELL ventilated area if you are using something like Xylene, gasoline, actually ANY product that is highly flammable and 'toxic'.

Bill

Mike Phillips
07-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Had great success using plastic razor blades and Xylene on a terry towel.

Did a quick search and there are definitely a lot worse chemicals a person can work with, just the same, always research any chemical you're unfamiliar with and take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and anyone around you.

Xylene safety information (http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/xylene/health_xyl.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
07-31-2012, 07:48 AM
I'll be posting a thread tomorrow night for an A7 with cement and road paint. Stay tuned.

Looking forward to this...

Cement on paint is never a good thing...

:xyxthumbs: