PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars vs Mothers

Pages : [1] 2

axbrigade
07-30-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm sure this question has prolly been asked before, but as far as OTC waxes and detailing products go, which one of these two brands do you all think is the best? I done a search in the forum and couldn't find a thread on this topic, so thought I'd ask.

Nappers
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Both are quality waxes.

Paint that is unprepped for wax will not look good with the best wax applied.

Proper paint prep is the key.

T0RCH3D
07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Meguiars for both OTC and Detailer's brand IMO

CK_Autospa
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Meguiars for both OTC and Detailer's brand IMO

+1

Whether it be the ultimate, detailer or professional line, Meguiars is gold!

Eandras
07-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I like McGuiars line as they're easy to work with. I've used Mothers as well and they are excellent products as well.

kmsdetailing
07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Meguiars for items like 105 & 205. Mothers for other items.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Meguiars all the way

brawl
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
pure carnauba goes to mother's?

Ron Atchison
07-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Here are a few reviews I did using Mothers products. While Meguiars does make good products and I do use them you can't ague with these results.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/52594-mother-s-multiple-product-reviews.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/51338-bmw-535-x-drive.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/48309-mothers-professional-line-compound.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/47644-mother-interior-cleaning-products-picture-heavy.html

dwlinc23
07-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Meg's!

Spiney
07-31-2012, 12:04 AM
I still qualify as a newbie but I did pick up a few thoughts by hanging out here and attending an on site Meg's demo. Meg's has a huge product selection both OTC and even more the pro detailers line. I'm not as familiar with mothers but I'm sure they have a good product line. One thing I learned was the plus side of using a system. Meaning if you use all of one manufacturers products they are meant to be used together. They compliment each other and interact well. IMHO. Dave

umi000
07-31-2012, 02:24 AM
I've used products from both manufacturers (more Mothers than Meguiar's, but that's because of the price difference due to the local Meg's distributor putting an unholy markup - 2x to 3x - on everything they sell) - I've not really found any duds, and some products are my go-tos.

From the Mothers side, I like their FX Tire Shine, All Wheel and Tire Cleaner, and VLR; for Meguiar's, UQW is my preferred spray top-up for sealants, M205 the light polish I reach for most often, Ultimate Compound the main compound I turn to for heavier marring, and of course I use the G110v2. There are other products from both manufacturers that, though not what I'd go for first, work well enough that I keep them around, perhaps for use on the cars of friends or family.

In short, as with all product lines, some of their products are better than those from other manufacturers, some are worse - you can't really say unequivocally that one manufacturer's line is better than the other's.

mwoolfso
07-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Mother's product line is more simplistic than Meguiars. However, that doesn't mean much beyond the fact that Mother's will always seem to be the underdog. Several of their products "fly under the radar" compared to other brands that are discussed more frequently here.

I don't believe you can compare them at such a high-level. Both have been around for quite some time. I have both product lines in my arsenal.

Mike Phillips
07-31-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm sure this question has prolly been asked before, but as far as OTC waxes and detailing products go, which one of these two brands do you all think is the best? I done a search in the forum and couldn't find a thread on this topic, so thought I'd ask.

What are you working on?
What are you trying to accomplish?

:)

SON1C
07-31-2012, 08:37 AM
mothers blows megs away as a company, so I take mothers over megs every time with the exception of 105/205 and their professional detailers line (the gallon jugs)