PDA

View Full Version : Have you coped with your imperfections?

Pages : [1] 2

6LS2
04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Well, as some of you know, my dad has a black HSV, and seeing as its black, I take very good care of it. After washing it with a high pressure washer, white shmitt, 2 buckets, and drying with a MF, swirls still come up. Usually around the boot area, I dont know why, they just do, and I have learnt to face the imperfections, because they always come back! Have any of you guys learnt to cope with any imperfections that you have?

6LS2

nick19
04-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, as some of you know, my dad has a black HSV, and seeing as its black, I take very good care of it. After washing it with a high pressure washer, white shmitt, 2 buckets, and drying with a MF, swirls still come up. Usually around the boot area, I dont know why, they just do, and I have learnt to face the imperfections, because they always come back! Have any of you guys learnt to cope with any imperfections that you have?

6LS2

Multiple coats of sealants help.

As does using a two bucket method with two grit guards.

You're not going to wash the swirls out, I think you know that.. so you're going to need to polish them out with a PC or rotary. Then protect with a sealant and/or wax.

There's very few, if any, imperfections I come across, and I understand some need a rotary to fully remove. It's no biggie.

Whitethunder46
04-08-2007, 09:10 AM
I have tinyyyy scratches allll over my white Mustang. It's not a huge deal, as I'm selling it anyways.

sparkie
04-08-2007, 09:14 AM
IMO, I wouldn't use a pressure above 1800 psi on paint. I do use one on my cars but its only 1700 psi. Like nick19 or 20 said:D PC or a rotary will be the only thing to get swirls out.

nick19
04-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I have tinyyyy scratches allll over my white Mustang. It's not a huge deal, as I'm selling it anyways.

Greg, I would expect better! I could only see you out there with a microscope near the paint, examining it to perfection. Break out some 360 and Edge Orange pad and get those "tiny" imperfections off your paint. :D

nick19
04-08-2007, 09:22 AM
IMO, I wouldn't use a pressure above 1800 psi on paint. I do use one on my cars but its only 1700 psi. Like nick19 or 20 said:D PC or a rotary will be the only thing to get swirls out.

I used to work with a detailer in the past, and we used one at 1500 psi. You REALLY don't need that much pressure..

I'd still rather use a hose... :D

Mike T
04-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Owning a black I just learned to give in to acceptance. My secret is after every

wash I always follow up with a "wax booster" or another LSP layer.

Truls
04-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Greg, I would expect better! I could only see you out there with a microscope near the paint, examining it to perfection. Break out some 360 and Edge Orange pad and get those "tiny" imperfections off your paint. :D

:iagree:

Someone told me that its not all about presure, but also the amount of water the presure washer delivers, ive got one at 150bar (psi?) and it gives a good amount of water (not sure how much)

kastanaras
04-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I have high pressure cleaner and really it's only needed on a dirty car with mud on it or alot of dirt.

I am guessing you clean that HSV everyweek, I know I would if my dad had one so really all you need to be using is a hose with a nozzle.

sparkie
04-08-2007, 12:00 PM
:iagree:

Someone told me that its not all about presure, but also the amount of water the presure washer delivers, ive got one at 150bar (psi?) and it gives a good amount of water (not sure how much)
I heard pressure washer have 60%-80% air flow with water. I don't know if this is correct, but it dose seems logical.

KJW Detailing
04-08-2007, 12:06 PM
i am trying to deal with this as i have a brand new car...its Fiji Blue pearl (has to be the next hardest color to black) and since its a honda civic...the paint is razer thin and i already have chips after a few months...

YankeeFan
04-08-2007, 12:14 PM
When I 1st started on this site one of the posts I remember is someone wrote "you gotta rememeber it's just a car". I think with all the damage that a car goes through you just have to remember that., Between all the front-end dings, someone tapped me from behind so I have two small scatches, scratched plastic parts by my wpers when was getting ice off, I have all sorts of dings where the metal seat belt hits the plastic on the driver side, I accidently scratched lower end of the car when changing a tire......it goes on and on. I come to reliaze as long as it's nothing major or very noticeable I am okay with it. You can drive yourself crazy if you take it all to heart.

Howard

Whitethunder46
04-08-2007, 10:59 PM

By tiny imperfections, I mean a few 1" scratches that XMT4 or OC can't get out.

Basically the only thing that will get them out is wetsanding or a rotary (which I don't have yet.)

But don't worry, my new car will be and will be maintained PERFECTLY.

BlackCoupe
04-09-2007, 12:10 AM
someone wrote "you gotta rememeber it's just a car".

WHAT? Where is the Moderator? How do I report a post? Can we sue?

AUdakota
04-09-2007, 12:28 AM
seeing as how for the first 5 years of owning my truck is saw weekly abuse out on the trails and in the mud I have learned to live with most of my scratches and what not. It still looks better than a lot of the cars I see and Im happy with it so thats all that matters.