PDA

View Full Version : Polishing over repaired areas

TP143
07-30-2012, 01:34 PM
A year ago I did a sand/repaint job on my 06 Ford Fusion (approx 8 inch circle area) from backing into a rock. I am now attempting my first polish job on my car using a GG6 and WG Total Swirl Remover w/ orange pad and I wasn't sure how I should tackle this area. Prior to polishing, this area would slightly stand out after washing since the color/clear coat wasn't a perfect match but now that I have polished around the area it really stands out. Is it safe to take a polisher to this area considering the paint is aftermarket spray and not factory? If so, do I need to polish this area differently?

Mike Phillips
07-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Was it painted at a body shop or in your garage via rattle can?

If it's a body shop repair just polish as you would normal. If there are blend lines don't try to buff them off the car as all you do is chase them to a smaller and smaller footprint until you buff off all the clear.

If this is a rattle can repair, then use a light touch... again, if there are blend lines don't try to buff till they're gone as all you're going to do is buff off all the clear paint.

Picture?

:)

TP143
07-31-2012, 04:50 PM
This was a rattle can DIY job. As you can see in the pic, when the car is clean this spot really stands out. So, it is ok to go over but at a much slower pace?

This may be a question for another forum, but should I be able to get better results using the spray can method than what I have? I wasn't sure how close to spray or how much product to apply when I was doing this. I ordered the paint through a company that matches paint color so I was expecting a more blended result.

Thanks!