PDA

View Full Version : Got kicked out of a office complex for not meeting their requirements

Pages : [1] 2 3

ShineTimeDetail
07-29-2012, 10:06 PM
So Friday I went out to a regular office complex Ive been going to for 3 years now. I have probably been to this complex over 50x in the past 2 years. I have spent a very long time getting my name out there and this year it has been paying off. So not one time have I ever caught slack of any trouble from anyone!

So Friday I pulled on the lot to do basically one of the first clients cars I ever did out there. I pulled up, opened my trailer and my phone rang. They told me I had to leave and I asked why? They asked if I had insurance and I said yes. They said I would need to email them the info and they would review it. They said until it was reviewed I was not allowed on the lot. I asked if they would review it right away and they said no. They also asked for my auto insurance since I was 'driving my vehicle on their lot.

I sent everything and received an email later stating I do not meet their requirements.
1- I don't have workers comp- $950 per year.
2- my vehicle is not commercially insured-1200 extra per year on top of what I pay now.
3- I don't have an umbrella policy- million dollar umbrella policy is $500 per year

I pay around $250 now for my auto insurance and Biz insurance. My new monthly bill will be $429 per month and $5150 per year! That's a lot of money if you ask me!!

I'll be honest my prices will drop a little next month and a little the month after from speeding tickets I didn't fix but not as much as I'd like.

When I first got this info I was like hell no!! But after I thought about it and how much time I have put into this office complex and the clientele I would lose I'm going to go ahead with it. On a given day I can make between $350- $700. I go out for routine washes once a months plus I'm out there doing other full details etc a few times a month. Plus they just set me up at their other complex just down the road.

I figure the reason their requirements are so high is because the complex is a insurance company and they underwrite etc there. Also the property managers are one of the biggest leasing agencies in St. Louis.

This has been one hell of a weekend with this and then my help cancelling with the big Camaro show I'm doing this week!:nomore:

If this were you would you raise your prices or would you eat it? The good thing is, I will be able to go pretty much anywhere and not have to worry about getting kicked out.

Sorry for the long rant lol

ttnguyen104
07-29-2012, 10:41 PM
I would keep prices the same... you can write off your auto insurance on your tax return since you use it for business purposes.

ShineTimeDetail
07-29-2012, 10:48 PM
I would keep prices the same... you can write off your auto insurance on your tax return since you use it for business purposes.

I already write all that off as we speak.

rwright
07-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I figure the reason their requirements are so high is because the complex is a insurance company and they underwrite etc there. Also the property managers are one of the biggest leasing agencies in St. Louis.

The entire thing was a setup to squeeze more money out of you is what I took from this. I can't stand insurance companies for the fact that we pay them monthly if we have an accident, then when they have to pay out they raise our rates. Isn't that the purpose of making monthly payments? They have too much power and they know it. :mad:

ShineTimeDetail
07-29-2012, 11:14 PM
It's not my insurance company requiring this its the place I'm trying to work. My insurance lady kept telling me your good there's no way this company is not going to be unhappy with the coverage you have. Then she heard the company and said yes they are big shots. She said they are in comparison to anheuser busch. It would be very tough to get on AB's lot but with my new coverage I would be able to.

It's all BS no question about it. It's like I pay out the ass to be a legit company or I work for cash and don't pay taxes etc. There's no room for the middle guy in business.

darkstar752
07-30-2012, 12:06 AM
What coverage do you have that's only $200/yr?

jpegs13
07-30-2012, 01:31 AM
You're on their property, if something happens they want to make sure you have enough insurance to defend any potential suits arising out of your operations.
Unfortunatly we are a sue happy people and people are always looking to get rich quick by suing.
Sux for all of us.
Don't be surprised if they ask to be named as an additional insured on your policy. There is no cost associated with that. Just make sure your agent limits the coverage of the additional insured to "activities or work while on the property of---------"

david79z28
07-30-2012, 02:26 AM
I work in the construction industry. Unfortunately we have to provide our customers with insurance certificates just to make deliveries to existing buildings and construction sites.

Like you said, improving your insurance will help you keep their business and get more.

To bad your help cancelled. I saw our post on Camaro5.com.

If you were in Dallas, I would have helped.

SeaJay's
07-30-2012, 06:17 AM
It's a shame that some companies have to have all these requirements in order for you to clean some cars.

That being said, they have to ensure that they are covered in the event that you hurt yourself or a vehicle on their lot. But some companies just have way too many requirements, making it hard for a small business to operate with them.

I am currently not carrying insurance and I have run into a few issues with it. My problem being is that in Mass insurance prices are ridiculous! For me to carry a general liability policy (up to $500k) and garage keepers (only up to $60k) it would cost me over $3,200 a year. Which I was told I had to pay up front. For me to get a million dollar policy, and general liability up to $500k it was going to cost me around $6-7k a year. And the garage keepers insurance only up to $60k doesn't really do me much good when I regularly work on vehicles that are over that price. And I don't even have my vehicle registered as a commercial vehicle either. Which would increase my insurance prices even more. About the same as yours roughly $1,200-1,500 a year. Which is retarded! I pay $800 a year right now for my car, which is fully covered.

It's a complete scam if you ask me. They collect all this money for the "just in case" and then make you pay a huge deductible, and increase your rates if anything ever happened.

If you are willing to take the hit for the extra insurance, then it could definitely open up new doors for you. But that's a lot of money if you ask me.

master detailer
07-30-2012, 06:25 AM
I have 2,000,000 for cars boats rvs and on my shop and pay 520.00 a year bolt insurance insurer is liberty mutual if you need help just call me 239 878 0543

SeaJay's
07-30-2012, 06:30 AM
I have 2,000,000 for cars boats rvs and on my shop and pay 520.00 a year bolt insurance insurer is liberty mutual if you need help just call me 239 878 0543

$520 a year?! That's ridiculously low! Wish I could get that here.

Bates Detailing
07-30-2012, 06:35 AM

WOW - thats really cheap! My 2 mil policy that does not include a shop is just under a grand a year :/

Tom - It must suck to be forced into reaching those requirements, but you will be able to step foot into any B2B situation without hesitating ..... go grab those clients as well :props:

master detailer
07-30-2012, 06:38 AM
call me i will set you up with phone and cont info

master detailer
07-30-2012, 06:39 AM
i was paying 2800.00 and didnt cover my shop

Shortspark
07-30-2012, 07:06 AM
At least you got kicked out for a legitimate, business related reason. I got kicked off my golf course once for peeing in the woods which I thought was every golfer's constitutional right.