PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar question...

axbrigade
07-29-2012, 01:25 PM
I am working on putting together a pricing and service list for my detail business that I run on side. I was wondering if after I wash the car with dawn dish soap to cut the old wax off if I need to re-wash the car with a car soap before applying wax? Also, how much more should I charge for clay barring vs just a simple wash and wax?

Rsurfer
07-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Sounds like you need a little more experience before doing other peoples cars for money.

rider9195
07-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Your two questions sort of fit together. If you are going to wash the car and apply a wax, you really should clay the paint before applying the wax for the best bonding and durability.

I don't see the point in charging extra to clay the paint, it is a necessary step in the detailing process.

So for your wash and wax package, I would clean the wheels and tires, wash the car with a normal soap, dry, clay the paint, apply a sealant or wax, clean windows and dress the tires.

axbrigade
07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Your two questions sort of fit together. If you are going to wash the car and apply a wax, you really should clay the paint before applying the wax for the best bonding and durability.

I don't see the point in charging extra to clay the paint, it is a necessary step in the detailing process.

So for your wash and wax package, I would clean the wheels and tires, wash the car with a normal soap, dry, clay the paint, apply a sealant or wax, clean windows and dress the tires.

Thanks for the info. I have used clay on all my own vehicles before, and the directions told me to use dish soap then clay then re wash. I don't mind doing all those steps, but I don't want to have to spend the whole day on a production wash and wax. I'm trying to aim for the best finish, but stay profitable too. I wasn't sure if I could cut out the last wash after the clay and still get a good finish. Thanks a bunch!

rider9195
07-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I have used clay on all my own vehicles before, and the directions told me to use dish soap then clay then re wash. I don't mind doing all those steps, but I don't want to have to spend the whole day on a production wash and wax. I'm trying to aim for the best finish, but stay profitable too. I wasn't sure if I could cut out the last wash after the clay and still get a good finish. Thanks a bunch!

No need for all those steps. KISS(Keep It Simple Simon) as Mike Phillips says. Or something like that. Practice the method I mentioned on your vehicles before going out and doing on a customers car. Then you will be quicker and more efficient.

shoeless89
07-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Sounds like you need a little more experience before doing other peoples cars for money.

I agree

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

axbrigade
07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
No need for all those steps. KISS(Keep It Simple Simon) as Mike Phillips says. Or something like that. Practice the method I mentioned on your vehicles before going out and doing on a customers car. Then you will be quicker and more efficient.

Yeah, I will try it out on my cars a few times. I'm not actually doing any jobs yet. Just trying to get everything put together to get to that point. I have a full time job. I just enjoy detailing and am looking to make a little extra money on my days off. Thanks again!