PDA

View Full Version : Why can you not wax under hot sun ?

Oz_TCH
07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I had use Collonite on my car last week and this AM I was washing and decided to top it with another layer of Pinnacle Soveran paste wax.

The sun began to come out by the time I got half the car done.
I was doing this panel by panel.

My 12 yr old son was helping me and I told him that waxing in hot sun wasn't good and that we might have to finish half the car ( the panels we had not done) later in the evening when sun is not so hot.

My son asked why ? other than telling him that we just don't do it in hot sun. I didn't know what to tell him.

Anyway, he kept asking why ? And I didn't have a good answer for him.

So... please advise the reasons why we should not wax under hot sun. Thanks in advance.

rider9195
07-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Mainly because the product will dry more quickly and if you aren't wiping it off immediately. Plus you have to change your technique of applying and removing.

Rsurfer
07-29-2012, 01:37 PM
The solvents in both liquid and paste will dry out too quickly on a hot surface.

AutowerxDetailing
07-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Mainly because the product will dry more quickly and if you aren't wiping it off immediately. Plus you have to change your technique of applying and removing.

:iagree:

If the product dries too quickly you will not have enough time to work it onto the paint evenly. This will result in a thicker and uneven coat of wax that will be more difficult to buff off. This may result in marring of the finish during removal as the wax will require much more effort to wipe off.

I know that some waxes are more forgiving than others when applying in direct sunlight though so it will largely depend on what LSP you are using.

CEE DOG
07-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Behind what has been mentioned above....

Try Poorboys Nattys Blue and you can apply that one to your 150 deg surfaces in the sun to your hearts content. A great tool to have on hand.

Rsurfer
07-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Do you know if the white (original) can be applied in the sun? Have you tried the red in the sun? Thanks
Behind what has been mentioned above....

Try Poorboys Nattys Blue and you can apply that one to your 150 deg surfaces in the sun to your hearts content. A great tool to have on hand.

kmsdetailing
07-29-2012, 03:51 PM
I agree with Poorboy's products. They also sell car wash for washing in the sun but I haven't tried it yet but they swear by it.

I'm still debating as to whether actually do it or not since I hate working in direct sun light to begin with.

rwright
07-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Since the OP has been answered, Duragloss products can be used in the sun as well. :xyxthumbs:

statusdetailing
07-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Just make the mistake of waxing in the hot sun one time...that's all it takes and you'll never do it again. It's a nightmare.

CEE DOG
07-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Do you know if the white (original) can be applied in the sun? Have you tried the red in the sun? Thanks

I am pretty sure you can Ron but I must say I have never had the opportunity of trying and don't recall for sure if they even claim it but I think so.

I can say the liquid blue loves the heat even more than the paste! :buffing: