PDA

View Full Version : Megs UC & Megs NXT 2.0 Wax

MikeAOK
07-28-2012, 11:56 PM
At the moment these are the two products I have on hand. Went to pick ups some M105 and M205, unfortunately all they had at the store was the M205.
My question is,in the morning I will be working on my moms car. I will wash then clay to remove some overspray. Then I plan on going at it with the rotary. The paint is not in bad shape, though there are a ton of small scratches on the car.

What would be the best way to go at it with the rotary?
I have my dewalt 849 along with:

Red pad
Orange pad
Green pad
Blue pad
Black pad

Also have the wool pad.
The pads are from TCPglobal. Look similar to the 3M waffle pads.

The car is a 2004 Toyota corolla.

Any help for this newbie from the more knowledgeable here? Thanks in advance

BobbyG
07-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Hi Mike,

Since you're relatively new at this and using a rotary, take your time and don't rush. Watch your shaft speed and be careful around sharp edges and corners.

Stick with smaller pads, let's say 6" diameter or less, they're much easier to control...

Me with my Flex PE14-2-150 rotary and an Orange foam pad.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/members/bobbyg-albums-poorboy-s-world-2012-picture884-poorboys-10.jpg

With Meguiar's Ultimate Compound try using it with an Orange or Green foam pad. Keep the speed closer to 1200 rpm and again work slowly and carefully.

Meguiar's M205 is a nice finishing polish especially after using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

MikeAOK
07-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the response BobbyG.

I can say I'm fairly comfortable with a rotary always keeping my speeds around the 1200-1400 range.
My issue is pad and product combinations.

I'm going to try the orange pad and UC combination just like you suggested. I will post pics as I go.

Man now I wish I would of picked up Megs 205. 😉

MikeAOK
07-29-2012, 09:43 AM
So would it be good to go with the UC and orange pad, than UP with say a blue then black pad for NXT 2.0 wax?

BobbyG
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
So would it be good to go with the UC and orange pad, than UP with say a blue then black pad for NXT 2.0 wax?

Lake Country's Orange foam pad is a light cutting pad so using it with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound should work well for you. Perform a 2' X 2' test spot and gauge your progress from there.

UP? Are you referring to Meguiar's Ultimate Polish? I didn't see this listed but if you do have this it's a perfect companion to Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

Use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on a White and then gray foam pad. A White pad has a little cut to it and the Gray is a fine finishing pad and should produce a gorgeous shine.

Since you're working with a rotary, lower the speed to about 1000rpm with the gray pad and slow down your arm speed. Apply almost no pressure and let the machine weight do the rest. The idea here is to let the pad and product perform without inducing marring or holograms.

Your blue pad is perfect for applying sealants and waxes however a dual action machine is better suited for applying these....

MikeAOK
07-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Sorry BobbyG, yes I meant Megs Ultimate Polish. Haven't been able to do anything today as it started to rain. Again I will try the combo you mentioned. Also have to pick up my porter cable this week along with some Surbuf pads.

truckbutt
07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
If you can get your hands on M21 it will give you much better durability then the NXT. It's very easy to apply and remove. It will last for months.

MikeAOK
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
If you can get your hands on M21 it will give you much better durability then the NXT. It's very easy to apply and remove. It will last for months.

Will look into it. Thanks

Eandras
07-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi Mike,

Since you're relatively new at this and using a rotary, take your time and don't rush. Watch your shaft speed and be careful around sharp edges and corners.

Stick with smaller pads, let's say 6" diameter or less, they're much easier to control...

Me with my Flex PE14-2-150 rotary and an Orange foam pad.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/members/bobbyg-albums-poorboy-s-world-2012-picture884-poorboys-10.jpg

With Meguiar's Ultimate Compound try using it with an Orange or Green foam pad. Keep the speed closer to 1200 rpm and again work slowly and carefully.

Meguiar's M205 is a nice finishing polish especially after using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

BobbyG is right. Ultimate compound will work,nice with the LC orange pad.. I use ultimate polish witha white pad and follow up with ultimate polish with a blue pad. Final is ultimate wax with a red pad then buff with an orange pad with a microfiber bonnet. Bonnet covers the orange pad.

BobbyG that finish you did on the hood is fantastic.

Ed