PDA

View Full Version : Opti coat on thin paint

PoorOwner
07-28-2012, 02:01 PM
I bought a new mitsubishi and the paint is thin, I havn't gauged my own vehicle but I read from other it is likely around 2.5 mils or 60 microns.
I was thinking of having a pro detailer put on opti coat 2.0

I know part of the prep is the need for paint correction, I have no swirls but some random scratches for 1" to 5" from dealer washing and wiping. Which should be removed for the coating.

I'd hate to make the paint thinner than it is because I really don't care about these minor scratches on white it is hard to notice. But the opticoat would add alot of thickness to it with other advantages.

So please let me know what is the lesser evil here?

An a question for clear bra: for the front end I am definitely having a clear bra install, do I need to polish out things before clear bra, the installer only do claying and I don't think the minor scratches would really be noticable under the clear bra, as the bra has it's own coat and covers everything.

IOMCAMARO
07-28-2012, 02:07 PM
You need to have it polished everywhere before a clear bra or OC is applied. If the car is brand new, 60 microns is realllllly low. I personally would be afraid to polish that at all. I wonder if your meter could possibly be off?

weekendwarrior
07-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Is it an EVO X ? I read about that on the EVO X forums. Not a good sign, but the guy used a meter and compared to a RAV 4 using same meter. The EVO X was under 3 mils (brand new).

PoorOwner
07-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Is it an EVO X ? I read about that on the EVO X forums. Not a good sign, but the guy used a meter and compared to a RAV 4 using same meter. The EVO X was under 3 mils (brand new).

It is an Outlander but yes I got the info from the same place you saw.

I have the diamond white which is metallic, to me it doesn't look that thin, so not sure if mine is the same thickness as the EVOs until I can get it measured.
When I shopped Mazda it seems they also have one of the thinner paints out there also.

If I use my PC DA and Merzena final polish is that good enough to prep it for clear bra job? In my last 2 cars I didn't even check for any scratches!! I took it to the clear bra place right away. Didn't seem to matter that much to me.

Old Tiger
07-28-2012, 08:17 PM
I bought a new mitsubishi and the paint is thin, I havn't gauged my own vehicle but I read from other it is likely around 2.5 mils or 60 microns.
I was thinking of having a pro detailer put on opti coat 2.0

I know part of the prep is the need for paint correction, I have no swirls but some random scratches for 1" to 5" from dealer washing and wiping. Which should be removed for the coating.

I'd hate to make the paint thinner than it is because I really don't care about these minor scratches on white it is hard to notice. But the opticoat would add alot of thickness to it with other advantages.

So please let me know what is the lesser evil here?

An a question for clear bra: for the front end I am definitely having a clear bra install, do I need to polish out things before clear bra, the installer only do claying and I don't think the minor scratches would really be noticable under the clear bra, as the bra has it's own coat and covers everything.
Have the defects removed. The OC will add a clear urethane coat that will be thicker than the clear you will lose!

PoorOwner
07-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know approx how many microns is removed during minor correction?

Rsurfer
07-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Depends on what you are using to correct with, but 2-3 mics. would be my guess on a light correction.
Does anyone know approx how many microns is removed during minor correction?

brawl
07-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I wonder if there is a limit in applying layers of OC. Someone who has thin clearcoat might decide to layer OC 2.0 as much as possible.

Chris Thomas
07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
I did several applications on a Lamborghini hood last year at SEMA as people kept coming by wanting to see it applied. After about eight coats, it started to cloud. I think I'd stop at 2-3.

PoorOwner
07-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Is there any problem putting on ventureshield clear bra after opti-coat is applied?

pixelmonkey
07-29-2012, 06:40 PM
I did several applications on a Lamborghini hood last year at SEMA as people kept coming by wanting to see it applied. After about eight coats, it started to cloud. I think I'd stop at 2-3.

Lamborghini that now ready for the Apocalypse!

while you're mentioning the 2-3 coats, i have to ask, is there any longevity increase in adding a second coat?

also, would the same application process apply to the second coat after the first? or would it be include different steps?

sorry, had to ask.
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Chris Thomas
07-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Is there any problem putting on ventureshield clear bra after opti-coat is applied?

No, while it does lessen the bonding of airborne contaminants, adhesives still work fine.

Chris Thomas
07-29-2012, 08:55 PM
...is there any longevity increase in adding a second coat?

The longevity of the coating is not improved by layering, but it would add thickness that could be polished more times before breaking through.

...would the same application process apply to the second coat after the first? or would it be include different steps?

If you wait between layers, then yes you need to make sure the surface is squeeky clean again. You can layer:

immediately after the section application flashes (just add more product and go over it again)
anytime during the first 30 days (just clean the surface to be free of any debris, oils, silicones, waxes, etc. and go over it again.
anytime after the cure period (just polish with Optimum Polish II or Finish Polish as if you were only applying a cleaner wax with light pressure and a finishing pad. This will "rough up" the surface just enough for the second coat to stick once the first coat has fully hardened. Then wipe down with a water dampened paint-safe microfiber and go over it again. If you are not using our polishes, you may need more effort to strip the surface.)

brawl
07-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info, Chris.

If you wait between layers, then yes you need to make sure the surface is squeeky clean again. You can layer:

anytime during the first 30 days (just clean the surface to be free of any debris, oils, silicones, waxes, etc. and go over it again.

How do you clean the surface in this case?