PDA

View Full Version : Quick Vapor Steamer Tip

statusdetailing
07-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Hey guys, thought I'd share a quick trick I do with my vapor steamer (vapor master 3000). It's virtually the same as a vx 5000

I see a lot of guys using a special attachement that holds a small cotton towel in place, when cleaning upholstery, carpet, headliners, etc. I find this technique to be extremely cumbersome and slow. I like to move quickly as my sole source of income is detailing.

I like to use a full size white cotton towel (aprox. 1.5 by 3 feet or slightly larger) of medium thickness, not thin like those cheap terry cotton towels. A little thicker towel absorbs dirt and grime better.

I choose a clean section of the cotton towel and place it over a regular triangle attachment, I fold it over the triangle attachement so that it fits flat over the end where the steam comes out, and then twist and wrap it up the length of the wand...about 3/4 of the way up towards the switches. I'm right handed so I use my left hand to hold the loose end of the towel firmly in place and my right to control the wand and switches.

I know it's sound complicated, but it's super easy and fast. I work a small section until the towel is soiled and then I quickly unwrap the towel, move it over a couple inches to a clean section, and repeat. You can do this in 5 seconds and move on.

You can do a whole car, carpets and upholstery with 3 or 4 towels max and save yourself the hassle of using a million of those small, cheap terry cotton towels.

Throw the towel in the washer with some bleach and detergent and reuse them a million times.

Hope this makes sense. Perhaps I could add some pics if it's confusing.

statusdetailing
07-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Maybe you guys are doing this already haha. Or, maybe you don't like it? I need input. Thanks

Robert8194
07-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Maybe you guys are doing this already haha. Or, maybe you don't like it? I need input. Thanks

Sounds like a good idea. It seems to take me forever to get the towel under the clips and then it is loose. I end up holding it like you describe just with the small thin terry. I may try a larger towel but I'm not sure what you are using. Is it a hand towel? Thanks for the tip. I don't think the lack of response is that no one likes your idea. Although steadily growing, the number of steam users is not that large. People will eventually catch on that steam makes many tasks much easier.

Lowejackson
07-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I have been using a similar technique for a while but you must have asbestosis hands as I find the cloths get incredibly hot

Robert8194
07-28-2012, 08:20 PM
I have been using a similar technique for a while but you must have asbestosis hands as I find the cloths get incredibly hot

I wear mechanics gloves. They protect from heat and a lot of others nicks and bruises.

statusdetailing
07-28-2012, 10:18 PM
I never get burned because I use a fairly large towel. I don't have it down to an exact science yet, but most of my towels are around 2' x 3.5 to 4'.

I wrap it over the head, twist it tight and then wrap the towel up the wand so that I can hold it securely away from any steam. I think I might need to post a pic. There's a specific technique, that I'm not describing well, so that you can hold the towel in place.

I said the towels were a little smaller in my previous post, but they're actually pretty good size...in between a hand towel and a beach towel...pretty much a standard size bath towel. You don't want a super plush towel; it will be too bulky, but definitely thicker than those terry towels.

I think steam is going to definitely become more popular. I can't believe how incredibly I'm able to clean compared to when I didn't use a steamer. Eerything is dry much quicker, and doesn't leave that wet dog smell in a car like an extractor. There is definitely still use for an extractor, but I find that I don't use it nearly as often.

Steamers aren't perfect for everything. I find that they don't work well on hard black plastic (ex. air vents, plastic door handles, and plastic around stereo ac controls etc)....tends to dry it out. They work best on vinyl, leather, carpet and upholstery.

Lowejackson
07-30-2012, 07:46 AM
I wear mechanics gloves. They protect from heat and a lot of others nicks and bruises.

Gloves.....It is so obvious, I cannot think why I did not consider them

Detail
07-31-2012, 03:01 PM
I also do this. Gotta be careful how you rap it around or else the steam rises up the twist and clearly its quite hot.

statusdetailing
07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I also do this. Gotta be careful how you rap it around or else the steam rises up the twist and clearly its quite hot.

You're right about that. I've had it happen a couple times, because the towel wasn't wrapped very tight. That's cool that you do the same thing. I was wondering if anybody else did.

Probably isn't a bad idea to wear some mechanic gloves when using a steamer. Just in case.

Gurge
07-31-2012, 03:20 PM
not a bad idea. may need to give it a shot. I'm pretty fast with the 'diaper' wrap thing around the triangle head. but it can slip off from time to time if you're sloppy with it.

pretty sure renny doyle demonstrates what you're describing in his steam cleaning video along with the diaper wrap

recently tried to quickly fix a diaper wrap that had come undone and hadn't turned the steam off first. paid the price on that deal and steamed off a layer or two of skin on my finger.

edit: gloves? what for? wait a minute....

Kevin Cullen
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
I have a Dupray Industries steamer and it came with the tool for this exact application. It holds the towel on and you can keep your hands away from the steam. It is triangular and works great for getting into corners.

I use this for the windows and leather seats on low steam and works really well.

604_Snooze
07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
I have a VX5000. I use the medium round brush most of the time, wrap with a microfiber towel. I should start wearing mech gloves to protect my hands. But I like your idea of using a bigger towel.

statusdetailing
08-01-2012, 08:33 AM
not a bad idea. may need to give it a shot. I'm pretty fast with the 'diaper' wrap thing around the triangle head. but it can slip off from time to time if you're sloppy with it.

pretty sure renny doyle demonstrates what you're describing in his steam cleaning video along with the diaper wrap

recently tried to quickly fix a diaper wrap that had come undone and hadn't turned the steam off first. paid the price on that deal and steamed off a layer or two of skin on my finger.

edit: gloves? what for? wait a minute....

Cool. Do you have a link to that vid? Never burned myself that bad, but I've hit my finger a couple times. It didn't feel good for a couple days, but definitely didn't lose any skin. ouch!

statusdetailing
08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I have a Dupray Industries steamer and it came with the tool for this exact application. It holds the towel on and you can keep your hands away from the steam. It is triangular and works great for getting into corners.

I use this for the windows and leather seats on low steam and works really well.

I think a lot of steamers come with that attachement. I was actually talking about how I don't like them, and that using a larger towel and wrapping, twisting and holding it on works better and takes less time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using those heads. They are great, but imo the larger towel idea is better.