PDA

View Full Version : I'm making a list for my first Autogeek order

TechDiver
07-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm getting a list together for cleaning the exterior of my two vehicles. I am listing items I am thinking about getting, but I'll take any recommendations. Also let me know if I left anything out.

Wash Mitt - I haven't decided, but I have looked at the Micro-Chenille 3 pack

Wash Soap - I have the cheap pink Meguiar's, but I put Ultima Waterless Wash+ on my list due to flexibility for waterless or no rinse. I like a product with multiple uses.

Grit Guards - one for rinse, one for wash

Drying Towels - I have a Viking, but I'll probably get a Cobra Supreme Guzzler as well

Wheels - Daytona Speed Master Combo (includes the Jr size). I had though about getting the Mothers 3 brush set, but the combo above will probably work better.

Quick Detailer - Would the UWW+ be a great quick detailer?

I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.
Tech Diver

embolism
07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I'd add some Duragloss 901 to your list for car shampoo
some ONR, maybe some Duragloss aquawax or optimum car wax?

do you have any clay?

ArkayoDeetayo
07-27-2012, 04:28 PM
wash mitt - the one you chose are great. If you want to spend a little more, the Car Pro wash mitt which is $20 is very nice

for wash soap, I recommend any chemical guys (particularly wash n gloss) its cheap and will last you a long time. Mark likes Dodo Born2BeMild as do many of the forum members.

gritguiard, maybe get 1 more? I like to stack 2 in my clear water/rinse, for easier scrubbing and not dipping elbow deep

drying towels - personally I prefer to just get 2-4 rolled edge towels (you can get a 6pack for good price and are quality towels) alternatively if you want the "cool" easier method but cost an arm and leg, you can get the "masterblaster" for touchless drying

wheels - in my opinion the daytonas you picked, are pretty much only good for the back of the wheels and hard to reach, I personally use a wash mitt (you already picked the "3 set microfiber chenille) use black for "wheel duty" and easy identification, use that mitt and a bucket of soapy water does the trick on not too bad wheels that are maintained

I don't really see a need for "quick detailers"...if you want to wash off light dust, then I would recommend blackfire concentrated waterless to get off bird bombs etc, if you wanted to "freshen" your wax between washes, then I would go with a spray wax such as XMT 360 spray wax, Optimum spray wax, Duragloss Aquawax, Chemical Guys V7 are all great choices

you are missing CLAY BARS fyi. If you are getting UWW+ you can use that as your lube. For the "claying" purpose, you can either by traditional clay, Ultima Sponge (my personal favorite), or the newer technology Speedy Prep Towels

other than that, it seems you are good to go!

oh yeah, if you want some "dressing" then I would recommend PERL, you can use it on your tires and trim and it is dilutable.
Also you are missing the funnest part of detailing, your LSP! if you want quality long lasting wax that is reasonably priced, you cannot go wrong with Collinite 845. If you want to spend a little more to pamper your car, Dodo make very good waxes. AG inhouse brands are also great such as Fuzion, Souveran (I never tried this personally but heard it looks great with low durability), MAX WAX, and another forum favorite that I haven't tried is Blackfire Midnight Sun

and you definitely need an ALL PURPOSE Cleaner, 3 of the main ones are Meguiars All purpose + (cheap and effective), Optimum Power Clean (very safe and powerful) and Blackfire All Purpose Cleaner (I never used it but heard it is on par with OPC if not better?!)

TechDiver
07-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I'd add some Duragloss 901 to your list for car shampoo
some ONR, maybe some Duragloss aquawax or optimum car wax?

do you have any clay?

I forgot about having the Mothers clay kit on my list. I have some Meguiar's NXT I need to use up. I thought about getting the Optimum spray wax after seeing the great comparison done on this forum. I was mainly just getting a cleaning list together for the moment. I'm trying to not get my wife angry. She gets a little angry each time a package is delivered. Scuba accessories, coral reef supplies, and basic items from Amazon keep the wife on watch for money spending. I have gotten in trouble a time or two. ;-)

Sent from Android via TapaTalk 2.

TechDiver
07-27-2012, 04:44 PM
wash mitt - the one you chose are great. If you want to spend a little more, the Car Pro wash mitt which is $20 is very nice

for wash soap, I recommend any chemical guys (particularly wash n gloss) its cheap and will last you a long time. Mark likes Dodo Born2BeMild as do many of the forum members.

gritguiard, maybe get 1 more? I like to stack 2 in my clear water/rinse, for easier scrubbing and not dipping elbow deep

drying towels - personally I prefer to just get 2-4 rolled edge towels (you can get a 6pack for good price and are quality towels) alternatively if you want the "cool" easier method but cost an arm and leg, you can get the "masterblaster" for touchless drying

wheels - in my opinion the daytonas you picked, are pretty much only good for the back of the wheels and hard to reach, I personally use a wash mitt (you already picked the "3 set microfiber chenille) use black for "wheel duty" and easy identification, use that mitt and a bucket of soapy water does the trick on not too bad wheels that are maintained

I don't really see a need for "quick detailers"...if you want to wash off light dust, then I would recommend blackfire concentrated waterless to get off bird bombs etc, if you wanted to "freshen" your wax between washes, then I would go with a spray wax such as XMT 360 spray wax, Optimum spray wax, Duragloss Aquawax, Chemical Guys V7 are all great choices

you are missing CLAY BARS fyi. If you are getting UWW+ you can use that as your lube. For the "claying" purpose, you can either by traditional clay, Ultima Sponge (my personal favorite), or the newer technology Speedy Prep Towels

other than that, it seems you are good to go!

oh yeah, if you want some "dressing" then I would recommend PERL, you can use it on your tires and trim and it is dilutable.
Also you are missing the funnest part of detailing, your LSP! if you want quality long lasting wax that is reasonably priced, you cannot go wrong with Collinite 845. If you want to spend a little more to pamper your car, Dodo make very good waxes. AG inhouse brands are also great such as Fuzion, Souveran (I never tried this personally but heard it looks great with low durability), MAX WAX, and another forum favorite that I haven't tried is Blackfire Midnight Sun

and you definitely need an ALL PURPOSE Cleaner, 3 of the main ones are Meguiars All purpose + (cheap and effective), Optimum Power Clean (very safe and powerful) and Blackfire All Purpose Cleaner (I never used it but heard it is on par with OPC if not better?!)

Thanks for tips. The bit about the tires will definitely cut some costs.

Question about the drying - I read somewhere that a person just used their leaf blower. I have an electric leaf blower that may work for that. Could I do that then finish with the drying towel?

LSP - I currently have some NXT, but I have been looking at Collinite or Klasse twins since I want a longer term protection.

APC - I assume this will be used on wheels and tires. I currently have a spray bottle of simple green, but I plan to replace that with the Meguiar's 103 plus. I have a gallon of that and the Meg Glass cleaner on my wish list to mix up in spray bottles. They will last a long time.

Clay - I was planning on getting the OTC Mothers kit.

detailingkid
07-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I use menzerna power lock sealant and i like it a lot. dont know how the durability is since i have not had it on my cars for too long. Another product i like for tires is pinnacle black onyx tire gel.

Eandras
07-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I would add a da polisher with pads

ryance39
07-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Consider a good cleaner wax/AIO. Even something as simple as OTC Meguiars california gold cleaner wax. For the money it can't be beat.

TechDiver
07-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Consider a good cleaner wax/AIO. Even something as simple as OTC Meguiars california gold cleaner wax. For the money it can't be beat.

I was thinking about getting Klasse AIO. Which is better?

TechDiver
07-27-2012, 08:27 PM
I would add a da polisher with pads

I stumbled onto a great deal on one, but I don't have pads and Polish. My new car doesn't need it, so I was going to save that for another order later. I have to break it all up to help keep it under the wife's radar. :o