PDA

View Full Version : First Full Detail this weekend!

xGaspy
07-27-2012, 10:34 AM
The time has come where I'll finally have the chance to do my first, full detail on my car. I've got an impressive arsenal of product, some great knowledge from this board and videos and I'm super excited to get cracking on it!

Car in question is a 2012 Volkswagen GTI with Shadow Blue Metallic paint. The car isn't in horrible shape by any means but the dealership gremlins have definitely left their mark. Light swirls pretty much all over the place and I have a really big problem with evil horrible bugs. I work at a power plant in the middle of nowhere so my drive into work is littered with big, exploding bugs. Keeping a clean windshield is damn near impossible, lol.

So, my plan of action:
Hit the wheels with Sonax Full Effect, let it work its magic, then hit the wheels after dwelling with my boar's hair brush and gerbil wheel brush for the barrels.

Put my Cleanforce 1800 to work and lay a nice thick foam using Chemical Guys Honeydew foam soap, let that dwell. Rinse. Then follow up with a traditional 2-bucket wash of the car with Honeydew again.

Pull out my GG6 DA and use the NanoSkin Autoscrub to effectively get the paint as smooth as glass! (Starting on windows first, to break the pad in and clean them up). Then Adam's Detail Spray and Dry the car off and bring it into the garage for correction.

Since my car is still relatively new and isn't horribly damaged, using the least aggressive method first I'll do my test spot in this order: Wolf's Chemicals WP-6H Ceramic Cut Compound with an Uber Orange pad, then Wolf's Chemicals WP-3N Medium Cut Polish with an Uber Green pad and a final step of Wolf's Chemicals WP-1N Ultra Finishing Polish with an Uber Black pad. (These steps make the most sense as far as order goes, but I'm thinking that since my car IS still very new, I might not need the WP-6H and I can just Polish and Ultra Polish to get good results, any thoughts?)

Once that's all finished up, I can use the Wolf's Chemicals Shine and Seal, followed up by the Hard Body Super Sealant. Both will be applied by hand with small yellow applicators. 2 coats each. The only issue is I know these products are supposed to be applied in cooler temps, the bottle says something around mid 50's degrees, and it's definitely wicked hot out still..so I need advice on that. I also have some spray wax/sealants I could use until the weather chills out a bit.

Then I'll tackle the Trim with Wolf's Trim Coat, windows with Wolf's Glass Sealant and finish up the interior with Einszett Cockpit and hit the seats and carpet with my Bissell Auto Proheat extractor and hopefully stand back and be amazed at the finished product!

Any comments and criticisms welcomed on my method plan, products and etc! Thanks in advance! :D

Buckskincolt
07-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Going to use the nano skin on new paint?
Post before and after pictures:Picture:
Would be interested to see if it causes any swirling!

xGaspy
07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Going to use the nano skin on new paint?
Post before and after pictures:Picture:
Would be interested to see if it causes any swirling!

I hope not! I just wanted to prep the surface best I could before the polishing. I've heard nothing but great reviews from the Autoscrub...?

Buckskincolt
07-27-2012, 11:01 AM
I hope not! I just wanted to prep the surface best I could before the polishing. I've heard nothing but great reviews from the Autoscrub...?
I've heard both, really would like to hear your thoughts after use! Please:props:

xGaspy
07-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I've heard both, really would like to hear your thoughts after use! Please:props:

Will do. Gunna take lots of Before/After pics, albeit with a iPhone but I'll report back for sure. Does the rest of my plan look good? Any advice welcomed!

Sealant
07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Hit the wheels with Sonax Full Effect, let it work its magic, then hit the wheels after dwelling with my boar's hair brush and gerbil wheel brush for the barrels.

For the love of God, don't use any sort of brush on the wheels.

I don't care what anyone says.

xGaspy
07-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Any other feedback from anyone??

xGaspy
07-29-2012, 10:47 AM
well i didnt have a chance to use the full arsenal but i did a very thorough wash and a light spray sealant to hold over til real correction.

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc6545-5ae0-9477.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc6545-5af5-4bd2.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc6545-5b26-2efc.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc6545-5b32-5337.jpg

swanicyouth
07-29-2012, 12:21 PM
You sure have a lot of nice products and equipment for your first detail! The only thing I would change is to maybe switch to a 1 or 2 step polish. From the pics, it looks like your paint is in pretty nice shape. Maybe use a mod line swirl buster polish that finishes well.

xGaspy
07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
You sure have a lot of nice products and equipment for your first detail! The only thing I would change is to maybe switch to a 1 or 2 step polish. From the pics, it looks like your paint is in pretty nice shape. Maybe use a mod line swirl buster polish that finishes well.

Yeah, I'm a big "do it right the first timer" so I usually go all out when I get into something, so I tried to get a solid lineup of product. My wish list still outweighs by bank account though, lol.

I'd have to agree with you on the polish, I think in my excitement I just want to pull all the stops but my paint is in decent shape I've got 1 water spot on the edge of driver side hood that needs attention and 1 scratch on the passenger side door, but I think if the 2 step doesn't take care of those I can just step it up for those areas alone.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!