PDA

View Full Version : Spray sealant?

Hammondc
07-26-2012, 05:03 PM
So, I am back in the detailing game after a 5 or so year hiatus. Many thing have changed. I just bought the wife a 2013 Subaru Outback in Brilliant Brown Pearl. I am looking for a sealant type product that is sprayable and can go over plastic-->the plastic cladding on this vehicle is almost as bad as Chevy Avalanche.

I have some Pinnacle Souvran Signature which should make the flake pop and add some warmth, but need something to keep that warm (not candy coated) look fresh.

So lay it on me....what's he latest and greatest?

rider9195
07-26-2012, 05:25 PM
You would want a trim restorer such as Solution Finish, C4, DLux for the tirm. DG Aquawax would be good for some added protection.

Bigbull2984
07-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Best spray sealant I like is Blackfire Polymer spray. Easy to use and pretty darn durable when used alone

Vegas Transplant
07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
OOS topping OPS yields the classic sealant look. Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved! (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-seal.html)
Add OCW for over the top gloss.

Hammondc
07-26-2012, 06:34 PM
You would want a trim restorer such as Solution Finish, C4, DLux for the tirm. DG Aquawax would be good for some added protection.

The trim is new so a restorer (I have PBs trim restore) would not do much. I want something I can apply to the whole car.

ScottB
07-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Best spray sealant I like is Blackfire Polymer spray. Easy to use and pretty darn durable when used alone

:props:

Wheelzntoys
07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Gtechniq Exo, looks easy to use. Spray aerosol and goes on trim, paint and fabric.

From Gtechniq:
Easy to use - goes on like a quick detailer!
Spray on to a microfibre, wipe on to surface, buff with clean microfibre
Bonds chemically with paintwork, trim, etc, to become the new surface
Significantly improved hydrophobic effect over other wax or sealants
Highly durable - lasts up to 2 years
Highly resistant to regular wash process chemicals

Setec Astronomy
07-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm echoing some previous comments, but...Optimum Opti-Seal (OOS) is a WOWA (wipe on, walk away) sealant. This class of product may not have been available when you departed the scene, as it was introduced just over 5 years ago. So that's a good easy choice that you can put on every external surface. There are 4 different WOWA brands, the Optimum is usually the lowest cost/oz.

Also the Optimum Car Wax (OCW) is a good hybrid spray wax, that you can put on any surface. Duragloss AquaWax (AW) is another, which is easier to use IMO.

I agree that a trim restorer is inappropriate on a new car, but you might want to consider going over that cladding with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0, which is a permanent coating. The theory is that will "lock-in" the newness of your trim and keep it from aging. If that's not to your liking, a WOWA sealant, or one of the trim sealants like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) or Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (UTTG) are good choices.

Hammondc
07-26-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm echoing some previous comments, but...Optimum Opti-Seal (OOS) is a WOWA (wipe on, walk away) sealant. This class of product may not have been available when you departed the scene, as it was introduced just over 5 years ago. So that's a good easy choice that you can put on every external surface. There are 4 different WOWA brands, the Optimum is usually the lowest cost/oz.

Also the Optimum Car Wax (OCW) is a good hybrid spray wax, that you can put on any surface. Duragloss AquaWax (AW) is another, which is easier to use IMO.

I agree that a trim restorer is inappropriate on a new car, but you might want to consider going over that cladding with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0, which is a permanent coating. The theory is that will "lock-in" the newness of your trim and keep it from aging. If that's not to your liking, a WOWA sealant, or one of the trim sealants like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) or Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (UTTG) are good choices.

Awesome. This is what I needed. I have some reading up to do. The good thing is that a lot of these are not terribly spend. Thanks again. This narrows my search way down. May have to checkout the Blackfire stuff too. They have been around for a long time, but do not being overwhelmed by their products years ago.

rider9195
07-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I thought you meant the trim was faded, reason for suggesting a trim restorer. Didn't fully understand it.

Setec posted some solid information right there.

Setec Astronomy
07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Awesome. This is what I needed. I have some reading up to do. The good thing is that a lot of these are not terribly spend. Thanks again. This narrows my search way down. May have to checkout the Blackfire stuff too. They have been around for a long time, but do not being overwhelmed by their products years ago.

Blackfire has a WOWA sealant, and also a spray sealant. I think the big difference now in the way us enthusiasts use products, is there is a lot more use of waterless and rinseless washes today, and many people use some sort of spray wax/sealant after every wash, where in the old days they would use a QD.

If I didn't have almost a decade's worth of products clogging my shelves, I think I might use a WOWA sealant exclusivley, it's arguably less work than the spray wax.

Hammondc
07-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Kinda kicking that around. I have some Klasse Sealant that I have barely put a dent in. I know it is still good. Even have some very old 4* UPP. I am 100% done with any QD containing carnauba. I love the warmth, but it gets everywhere. Hell, I have a quart of PBs QW+ that has barely been touched.

I just never really was a high fan of the candy-coated sealant look. Hence the Souvran Signature. I may put that down and then refresh with klasse.

Setec Astronomy
07-26-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't think the Klasse SG will stick to your wax base.

You're in San Antonio? Do you know Concours Auto Salon? Anthony there is an Optimum guru and if he's not busy and you talk to him nice, he may show you some of the products. He has worked on the development of many of them.

Hammondc
07-26-2012, 09:03 PM
No kidding? Never heard of the place, but I'll look him up. Is he on here? I have been kicking around opticoat. I know there are tons of threads on here about it, but I am still a bit standoffish.

Hammondc
07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't think the Klasse SG will stick to your wax base.

True. Did not really consider that rule.