PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wax off pads?

Snowdrifter
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, I waxed my car today using Meguiars Ultimate wax and a red lake country pad on a flex 3401(used it for the first time :buffing: )

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get all the wax out of the pad. Whether I soak it in soap water, mist in in pinnacle pad cleaner, scrub, etc the wax just doesn't want to come out of the pad.

It's the same story with the small foam hand applicator that came with the wax. I haven't had this issue with any carnauba based wax before.

Ideas?

rider9195
07-25-2012, 10:29 PM
You kind of have to squeeze the wax out of the pad.

Solution to this is to use little product and not to add product after each panel. You'll be surprised how much product gets stuck in the pad unused.

fahoumh
07-25-2012, 11:15 PM
You kind of have to squeeze the wax out of the pad.

Solution to this is to use little product and not to add product after each panel. You'll be surprised how much product gets stuck in the pad unused.
QFT. I learned this the first time I used my DA to polish my car...the hard way. Trying to work polish out of foam pads by hand is not my idea of fun. :laughing:

Massaging dish soap into the foam pad then rinsing underneath running water ended up working best for me.

Snowdrifter
07-25-2012, 11:50 PM
qft. I learned this the first time i used my da to polish my car...the hard way. Trying to work polish out of foam pads by hand is not my idea of fun. :laughing:

Massaging dish soap into the foam pad then rinsing underneath running water ended up working best for me.

qft?

builthatch
07-25-2012, 11:51 PM
qft?

quoted for truth.

AutowerxDetailing
07-26-2012, 12:47 AM
quoted for truth.

Whoa... and I thought I already knew all the trendy interwebz acronyms... I just got schooled.

TomG
07-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Just last night I gave up on a pad and asked my wife if she had any ideas. It was FILLED with polish as I did not what I was doing.

She soaked it in an oxyclean bath for an hour and its brand new again. No real scrubbing either; just rinse and squeeze and done. She says it won't even affect the adhesive and it doesn't appear to have.

Shakabruddah808
07-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Just last night I gave up on a pad and asked my wife if she had any ideas. It was FILLED with polish as I did not what I was doing.

She soaked it in an oxyclean bath for an hour and its brand new again. No real scrubbing either; just rinse and squeeze and done. She says it won't even affect the adhesive and it doesn't appear to have.

You'd think by now that we guys would be smart enough to ask the 'Better Half' for a simple solution to a hard problem. But NOOO. We wanna do things the hard way.

Just goes to show you that Men are TRULY from Mars, and Women ARE from Venus. LOL

Eandras
07-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I had the same issue with pads getting them clean. Solved the problem by buying a universal pad washer. Pads that I would have thrown out are new again. Well worth the investment.

Ed

fahoumh
07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Whoa... and I thought I already knew all the trendy interwebz acronyms... I just got schooled.
I've been on discussion forums for over 11 years and I still learn new acronyms.

Oxyclean...really? It's good to know there's a readily-accessible option out there. Thanks for sharing. :xyxthumbs:

I had the same issue with pads getting them clean. Solved the problem by buying a universal pad washer. Pads that I would have thrown out are new again. Well worth the investment.

Ed

I keep looking at that pad washer but I don't do enough machine polishing to justify the cost just yet...plus I'm kinda broke :laughing:

Mike Phillips
07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
No matter what I do, I can't seem to get all the wax out of the pad.

Just a side note...

If you struggle to get the wax out of the pad and you're working at it...

How well must it stay on the paint if you're not actively trying to get it off? :D

You might find some related tips by doing a search using the word

insoluble

or

Water-insoluble

Click here to do an advanced search of the forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php)

:xyxthumbs: