PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on products to buy

Pages : [1] 2

mammoth713
07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Hello all,

I am looking to prep my car for a carshow coming up next week.

Current products I have:
*Porter Cable DA
*Meg's 105
*Meg's 205
*Meg's Ultimate Compound
*Meg's Swirl Remover
*Meg's ScratchX 2.0
*Poorboys World Polish with Sealant (AIO)
*DP Max Wax
*Lake country pads
-orange
-white
-grey
-blue

My question #1: Is this a good shopping cart in addition to the products I already have/use:
*DP Pad cleaning Powder
*Poorboys World EX Sealant w/ Carnauba
*Poorboys World Black Hole Glaze
*Lake Country pads:
-Yellow x2
-Orange x1
-White x1
-Grey x1
-Red x1

or should I buy this to test out the different poorboy's products first? Is it enough to do a whole car?
Poorboy's World Dark Paint Perfection Kit, car polish, car wax, paint glaze, paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-dark-paint-sample-kit.html)

Question #2: Where do Meguiars ultimate compound and swirlX land on this graph(don't see them listed)?
Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

Question #3: I am looking to try the Black Hole Glaze, but from reading that compound comparison chart above, it said the Poorboy's polish with sealant that I have been using has more cut than the glaze. Therefore I need to use a different sealant if I plan on using the black hole glaze, correct?

If that is true, I was planning on using poorboy's world EX w/ Carnauba as my sealant ontop of the black hole glaze. However, should I get poorboy's world EX w/ Carnauba or should I just stick with Poorboy's world EX-P (pure polish only)??

Sorry for the lengthy post, I am looking to place an order tomorrow and I'm just making sure I'm covering all the bases before I buy it.

Thanks!:props:

mammoth713
07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Hello all,

I am looking to prep my car for a carshow coming up next week.

Current products I have:
*Porter Cable DA
*Meg's 105
*Meg's 205
*Meg's Ultimate Compound
*Meg's Swirl Remover
*Meg's ScratchX 2.0
*Poorboys World Polish with Sealant (AIO)
*DP Max Wax
*Lake country pads
-orange
-white
-grey
-blue

My question #1: Is this a good shopping cart in addition to the products I already have/use:
*DP Pad cleaning Powder
*Poorboys World EX Sealant w/ Carnauba
*Poorboys World Black Hole Glaze
*Lake Country pads:
-Yellow x2
-Orange x1
-White x1
-Grey x1
-Red x1

or should I buy this to test out the different poorboy's products first? Is it enough to do a whole car?
Poorboy's World Dark Paint Perfection Kit, car polish, car wax, paint glaze, paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-dark-paint-sample-kit.html)

Question #2: Where do Meguiars ultimate compound and swirlX land on this graph(don't see them listed)?
Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

Question #3: I am looking to try the Black Hole Glaze, but from reading that compound comparison chart above, it said the Poorboy's polish with sealant that I have been using has more cut than the glaze. Therefore I need to use a different sealant if I plan on using the black hole glaze, correct?

If that is true, I was planning on using poorboy's world EX w/ Carnauba as my sealant ontop of the black hole glaze. However, should I get poorboy's world EX w/ Carnauba or should I just stick with Poorboy's world EX-P (pure polish only)??

Sorry for the lengthy post, I am looking to place an order tomorrow and I'm just making sure I'm covering all the bases before I buy it.

Thanks!:props:

I answered my own question #2 here, found this
Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you! (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?28407-Aggressiveness-Order-for-New-Consumer-Products-This-will-surprise-you)!

any thoughts or ideas on my other questions?:buffing:

Buckskincolt
07-25-2012, 09:01 PM
I answered my own question #2 here, found this
Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you! (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?28407-Aggressiveness-Order-for-New-Consumer-Products-This-will-surprise-you)!

any thoughts or ideas on my other questions?:buffing:

You don't want to polish over a glaze, it will just remove it. A filling glaze fills the imperfections and a polish will clean it off. Why not polish the paint to the point you don't need a filler to hide the swirls?
If you are going over a filling glaze you want a Finishing wax or sealant with no cleaners. Like DP Max Wax.

mammoth713
07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
You don't want to polish over a glaze, it will just remove it. A filling glaze fills the imperfections and a polish will clean it off. Why not polish the paint to the point you don't need a filler to hide the swirls?
If you are going over a filling glaze you want a Finishing wax or sealant with no cleaners. Like DP Max Wax.

yeah, I know. That is why I am looking at no longer using my "polish with sealant (AIO)" and going to either "polish with carnauba" or "EX-P".

In other words,

My old method
Meg's 105/205 -> "Polish w/ Sealant" (AIO) -> DP Max Wax

Proposed New Method #1
Meg's 105/205 -> "Black Hole Glaze" -> "EX Sealant w/ Carnauba" -> DP Max Wax (if want)

Proposed New Method #2
Meg's 105/205 -> "Black Hole Glaze" -> "EX-P" -> DP Max Wax

would this be a good idea? Or should I just forget the glaze altogether?

Y2KSVT
07-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Does your paint need compounded if you've already done so? Try M205 first. Then the glaze should fill any remaining swirls, and then wax.

rider9195
07-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Does your paint need compounded if you've already done so? Try M205 first. Then the glaze should fill any remaining swirls, and then wax.

:iagree:

What about the wheels, tires, wells, exhaust tips, windows, interior, and engine bay? Gotta look good if you're showing it.

Buckskincolt
07-25-2012, 10:28 PM
yeah, I know. That is why I am looking at no longer using my "polish with sealant (AIO)" and going to either "polish with carnauba" or "EX-P".

In other words,

My old method
Meg's 105/205 -> "Polish w/ Sealant" (AIO) -> DP Max Wax

Proposed New Method #1
Meg's 105/205 -> "Black Hole Glaze" -> "EX Sealant w/ Carnauba" -> DP Max Wax (if want)

Proposed New Method #2
Meg's 105/205 -> "Black Hole Glaze" -> "EX-P" -> DP Max Wax

would this be a good idea? Or should I just forget the glaze altogether?
Look at your paint, if there are no swirls then forget the glaze. If there is swirls you need to work on technique and get them out, maybe try different polishes. Glazes don't last and are a quick stop gap but really don't fix anything. Clearly you are changing because you don't like something about your results .... Pictures of what you are trying to change would help give you a direction.:props:

mammoth713
07-25-2012, 10:53 PM

:iagree:

What about the wheels, tires, wells, exhaust tips, windows, interior, and engine bay? Gotta look good if you're showing it.

yeah I will try 205 first, I listed 105 just for incase I have to back up a step and go deeper with 105.

As for wheels, tires, etc, I'm set on that stuff I think.:xyxthumbs:

What pad do you guys use with 205? Do you use an orange pad and then use it again with a white pad? (lake country colors)

mammoth713
07-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Look at your paint, if there are no swirls then forget the glaze. If there is swirls you need to work on technique and get them out, maybe try different polishes. Glazes don't last and are a quick stop gap but really don't fix anything. Clearly you are changing because you don't like something about your results .... Pictures of what you are trying to change would help give you a direction.:props:

So, if you use polishes/compounds on the paint and get out the marks you skip glazes altogether?

I read good reviews on the black hole stuff and that's why I was looking to change up my method, I've never tried glazes.

Like I mentioned above, I use poorboy's all in one "polish with sealant" and I think I get good results. Should I try a different sealant by them or stick to the all in one product? Do all in one products typically hold the same capabilities as using separate products (I.E. "polish w/ sealant" vs "professional polish" then "EX-P")?

mammoth713
07-26-2012, 09:46 PM
bump

Buckskincolt
07-26-2012, 11:15 PM
So, if you use polishes/compounds on the paint and get out the marks you skip glazes altogether?

I read good reviews on the black hole stuff and that's why I was looking to change up my method, I've never tried glazes.

Like I mentioned above, I use poorboy's all in one "polish with sealant" and I think I get good results. Should I try a different sealant by them or stick to the all in one product? Do all in one products typically hold the same capabilities as using separate products (I.E. "polish w/ sealant" vs "professional polish" then "EX-P")?
All in ones are usually not very aggressive for a polish and the sealants are not as durable as say a dedicated sealant. Some are better than the others. I don't use many Pb products so I can't help you with details on their stuff.
You should get better results form a polish then sealant over an AIO.
I don't use filling glazes. I get the paint where I'm happy then seal or wax. I don't think a filling glaze helps the look at all of a well prepped paint.

mammoth713
07-26-2012, 11:45 PM
All in ones are usually not very aggressive for a polish and the sealants are not as durable as say a dedicated sealant. Some are better than the others. I don't use many Pb products so I can't help you with details on their stuff.
You should get better results form a polish then sealant over an AIO.
I don't use filling glazes. I get the paint where I'm happy then seal or wax. I don't think a filling glaze helps the look at all of a well prepped paint.

idk if this is just marketing but this is in the "polish with sealant" description:

"This sounds like your average all-in-one product but, remember, this is by Poorboys. Poorboys Polish with Sealant wipes on and off with unbelievable ease and the shine it leaves behind is on the same level as Poorboys EX-P."

liquid_09
07-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Bump

I'm in the same boat... sooo many products, so hard to decide what to do, and not wanting to do 17 stages lol.

Buckskincolt
07-27-2012, 08:52 AM
If you are asking for a good one step AIO, I have this on the big brown truck right now. Optimum GPS Glaze Polish Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-gps.html)
This stuff gets great reviews! I haven't used it yet but if it's 1/2 as good as the reviews, its pretty darn good.

For a one step polish I also have on the BBT Optimum Hyper Polish Spray, Optimum spray polish, hyper spray polish, Optimum car polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-hyper-polish-spray.html)
It is a SMAT polish with fine polishes and long working times (so I'm told) I'm hoping to get very close results to the WG combo in one step rather than two. Then follow with an LSP of choice. Again have not used but a lot of research so time will tell:props:

If you are stuck on Poor Boys products you should research each of their products, look for details done with them and get feedback on the users results and opinions. I can't help with the PB line of polishes and Waxes. Just have never been drawn to the product line. I have a couple items and they grow dust on my shelf!

TimmyG
07-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Does your car have plenty of defects that would warrant the use of M105/M205? Only reason I ask is you listed your previous methods and I wanted to confirm such aggressive compounds were still needed. I have a WS6 myself and unfortunately these cars have insanely hard clear coats. You'll need to use some pressure with that porter cable and the right pad/compound/speed combo. I managed to correct my trans am with mainly Menzera SIP. I tried M105, D300, WG TSR, among others to try and find the best compound. Various pads were used as well. Seemed to me like the long working time of the SIP did the best work on that particular car. Lucky for you, with a little patience, the M105 should work fine. Spritz the working spot with a mist of distilled water if the product starts dusting and continue to break down the compound. Follow up with M205 and if you have time, some Menzerna PO85RD will really make that paint pop. Finally, LSP time then off to your car show!

You may also want to consider the Blacklight + V7 combo. Is your car navy blue metallic?