PDA

View Full Version : My first detailing job.

Pages : [1] 2

Johny B
07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi,

After reading all the articles from Mike and with the precious advices of several members I've done today my first detailing job. I have worked on my car 10 hours doing the wash,clay,glaze,radiant finish and sealant. My car has now a mirror finish that I am proud of.A little disappointment with the power of my new 7424XP PC which seems to improve difficulties in spinning 6.5" CCS needless to mention that the microfiber bonnets are useless with this tool due to it's lack of power.I should have purchased the Flex instead of the PC. Anymay I wish to thank you all the experts for sending me the bite of detailing. I have attached a few pics.
Johny

Rsurfer
07-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi,

After reading all the articles from Mike and with the precious advices of several members I've done today my first detailing job. I have worked on my car 10 hours doing the wash,clay,glaze,radiant finish and sealant. My car has now a mirror finish that I am proud of.A little disappointment with the power of my new 7424XP PC which seems to improve difficulties in spinning 6.5" CCS needless to mention that the microfiber bonnets are useless with this tool due to it's lack of power.I should have purchased the Flex instead of the PC. Anymay I wish to thank you all the experts for sending me the bite of detailing. I have attached a few pics.
Johny

Get some 5.5" pads, it will help.

Jake Baby
07-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Looks like you did a great job Johnny! Keep up the good work.

Eandras
07-25-2012, 07:43 PM
I agree. The PC with 5.5 pads works a lot better. Bonnets do work on the 5.5 pads as well

Ed

Coakley Carwash
07-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Nice job what tire gloss did you use

Johny B
07-25-2012, 08:04 PM
I've used Meguiar's hot shine foam.Great product.

steve swafford
07-25-2012, 09:47 PM
GREAT JOB!:iagree: 5.5 pads are the way to go

07-26-2012, 03:15 AM
I have the griots with 5.5 but initially ordered the pack that came with 6.5 inch pads. Let me tell you it was a heck of a difference. It's is well worth it to me and definitely a must with the smaller machines. Great job on the detail!

mwoolfso
07-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Nice job. While it is known that 6.5" pads have their strengths and weaknesses with the 7424XP, you should try applying less pressure next time around.

Johny B
07-26-2012, 12:58 PM
HI Guys,

I have ordered 5.5" pads from AG hoping that my 7424XP PC will work better and the pads won't stop spinning even if no pressure is applied. If the problem persists I'm going to buy the Flex3401 which is more powerful. I will keep the PC to work with smaller pads.In fact can I buy a smaller backing plate let's say 3" to work with same diamter pads or should I but 3.5 BP and use 4" pads for hard to reach area like near windows, the mirror etc....Feed back please

Johny

Buckskincolt
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
HI Guys,

I have ordered 5.5" pads from AG hoping that my 7424XP PC will work better and the pads won't stop spinning even if no pressure is applied. If the problem persists I'm going to buy the Flex3401 which is more powerful. I will keep the PC to work with smaller pads.In fact can I buy a smaller backing plate let's say 3" to work with same diamter pads or should I but 3.5 BP and use 4" pads for hard to reach area like near windows, the mirror etc....Feed back please

Johny
You will be much happier with the 5.5" pads but it won't compare to the power of the forced rotation of the flex.

Do you have or did you order the 5" backing plate to go with the 5.5" pads? You will need it if you don't have it.

Yes you can buy a smaller backing plate for use with 3 and 4" pads. I use my GG6 for 5.5" pads and my Pc for 4 and 3" pads.
3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate, da backing plate, random orbital backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/3inch-dual-action-backing-plate.html)

AutowerxDetailing
07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Nice work. :props:

jminrod
07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Great job. What polish and steps did you end up using.

Johny B
07-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi jminrod,

I have used Meguiar's clay bar first, then Chemical Guys Glossworkz glaze,CG Blacklight Hybrid radiant finish and CG Hybrid V7 gloss spray sealant.

Johny

BobbyG
07-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Hi Johny,

The SUV did come out looking great! :props:

The Porter Cable 7424xp is a great machine but in my opinion 6 1/2" diameter pads are just too big for it and many of the other machine of this type as well.

Two machines not part of this group are; the Flex 3401 and the Makita's BO6040 which is the new kid on the block.

The Flex and the Makita both have forced rotation which means you no longer need to worry about the balance between friction and downward force to ensure that the pad continues to spin.

This is an article I wrote and posted several times..

Pad Sizes

The 6 1/2" diameter pads a Porter Cable 7424 pushes the limit of the machine and this could be part of the problem.

I have this machine and found a world of difference when I decided to try Lake Country 5 1/2 diameter pads.

The Porter Cable 7424 style dual action polisher should come standard with 5 1/2 inch pads and corresponding backing plate.

Pads & Friction

The size or surface area does not directly affect the frictional force between two surfaces until downward force or pressure is applied. Reducing the pad size will only improve the mechanical efficiency of the machine.

The motor of your polisher produces some amount of power. The larger the pad surface area the harder the motor must work. Now, most will say "it's only 1 extra inch", but when it comes to surface area and friction you’re really talking about an additional 10 square inches. Now take a look at the difference between the 5 1/2", 6 1/2" and 7" pad...........Size does matter!

Surface Area - 5 1/2 pad = 23.75 inČ
Surface Area - 6 1/2 pad = 33.18 inČ
Surface Area - 7 pad = 38.484 inČ

There is a direct relationship between the pad surface area and the polishers ability to transfer adequate power to the pad improving its overall performance.

I have the Porter Cable 7424 first generation which has less power than the current generation. It has little problem handling the smaller size pads and this is what I recommend to anyone who uses this style of machine.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Camry%20Detail/CamryDetailDay-03.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Camry%20Detail/CamryDetailDay-04.jpg

The Flex 3401 is priced at nearly $400 and the Makita BO6040 comes in second place at $300 so neither of these machines are cheap by any means.

I haven't tested the BO6040 but I do have the Flex 3401 and it is the best dual action machine on the market today....my opinion of course...