PDA

View Full Version : Danger ?

Pages : [1] 2

Largebore
07-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Megs Wheel Brighter says that the dilution can be up to 4:1

I have some very stubborn spots that I cannot get out with clay, iron-x or any of the other wheel cleaners...

What can I expect if I use it straight up and apply with a toothbrush in the small area that is being so stubborn ?

I would not do the whole wheel as the edges of the wheels have been scuffed and their are some wounds to the wheel so I am concerned about the clear coat.

embolism
07-25-2012, 02:44 PM
I haven't used the stuff but have read enough about it on here to know that you don't want it anywhere on your skin. Even spraying it can be hazardous if a gust of wind blows any back at your face.

just be careful with the toothbrush, bend the bristles the wrong way and it could sling product back at you.

Largebore
07-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I haven't used the stuff but have read enough about it on here to know that you don't want it anywhere on your skin. Even spraying it can be hazardous if a gust of wind blows any back at your face.

just be careful with the toothbrush, bend the bristles the wrong way and it could sling product back at you.

Good point. Thanks

I have had the bottle for about a month and did not have the courage to try it yet. Been exhausting all other possibilities to get the wheels clean.

Meticulous-Detail
07-25-2012, 02:55 PM
What kind of wheels? I wouldn't let it sit too long either. Spray, agitate and then rinse immediately.

Largebore
07-25-2012, 02:56 PM
What kind of wheels? I wouldn't let it sit too long either. Spray, agitate and then rinse immediately.

BMW Clearcoated

FUNX650
07-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Besides utilizing the proper/adequate PPE...

-Make sure you have some calcium gluconate gel (and access to plenty of water)
on hand for the urgency in treating any exposures to HF.

For example...Something like this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/calglukit.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/48345)

-Good Luck! on cleaning those BMW wheels...

-Hope the CC on them is not 'pitted'
when you do get 'em all cleaned-up.

:)

Bob

Largebore
07-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Besides utilizing the proper/adequate PPE...

-Make sure you have some calcium gluconate gel (and access to plenty of water)
on hand for the urgency in treating any exposures to HF.

For example...Something like this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/calglukit.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/48345)

-Good Luck! on cleaning those BMW wheels...

-Hope the CC on them is not 'pitted'
when you do get 'em all cleaned-up.

Bob

Now you really got me worried ..

Vegas Transplant
07-25-2012, 04:39 PM
12834 One area of concern, albeit minor, is the sticker covering the wheel centercap. It is composed of a metalic 'sticker' that will lose its chrome like lettering if exposed to acids.

The sticker appearantly is laminated chrome layer, blue layer, white layer, and black layer.

The letters B,M,W, and the chrome border circling the image will be affected if exposed, but not the blue, white or black colorings (layers).

statusdetailing
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh come on guys. Seriously?

Just were nitrile gloves, long sleeves, and some sunglasses or protective glasses.

Use a foaming sprayer so that the mist doesn't go flying in the air.

It's not as dangerous as these guys are making it sound. I've used it straight on extremely bad wheels. Like the others guys said, don't let it sit very long.

Wheel brightener is a very mild acid. Just don't go drinking the stuff.

statusdetailing
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Try not to get any on that center cap. Vegas is right about that. Some BMW are like that.

Mike lambert
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I have been using it for as long as it has been available. Never had any problems. I do a ton of BMW beside owning several. You will not have any problems

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Just were nitrile gloves, long sleeves, and some sunglasses or protective glasses.

It's not as dangerous as these guys are making it sound. I've used it straight on extremely bad wheels. Like the others guys said, don't let it sit very long.

It's not "very mild", it's an HF-based cleaner. HF and ABF cleaners are unlike regular acids like sulfuric, hydrochloric, etc. They require specific substances to neutralize, why do you think they make special HF kits like that? You do what you want with your own body, but please don't tell people you don't know how to handle a chemical that people like myself and FUNX have industrial experience with and understand the hazards of.

PS "One of HF’s most insidious properties is that skin contact at lower concentrations may not produce pain or burning sensations until hours after the exposure. Because of the ability of HF to produce severe delayed tissue damage without necessarily producing pain, all skin, eye, or tissue contact with HF should receive immediate first aid and medical evaluation, even if the injury appears minor or no pain is felt."

Quoted from this site: Hydrofluoric Acid Safety (http://www.fap.pdx.edu/safety/hydrofluoric_acid/)

FUNX650
07-25-2012, 05:27 PM

^^^^Being lucky a few times doesn't certify one in HAZMAT...IMHO!!^^^^

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

-Just think...How many 'at-home-detailers' have, and will actually use, the PPE that's required for their personal safety...
and even those around them, and the environment as well?!?!

-When listing the strength of an acid...HF Acid is down the list somewhat.
BUT...It attacks and destroys the calcium in your body (think bones, for example)

-How about:Straight from the horse's mouth:

3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION

Most important hazards: This product is for use by professional car washes and detailers only and is NOT
intended for home use.
Harmful if swallowed.
Harmful; may cause lung damage.
Corrosive. This product contains chemicals listed on Canada WHMIS. See Section 15.

RISK
Risk Codes Risk Phrases
• Toxic if swallowed.
• Causes burns.
• Risk of serious damage to eyes.
• Toxic to aquatic organisms.

SAFETY
Safety Codes Safety Phrases
• Keep locked up.
• Wear suitable protective clothing.
• In case of insufficient ventilation, wear suitable respiratory equipment.
• Wear suitable gloves.
• Wear eye/face protection.
• To clean the floor and all objects contaminated by this material, use water
and detergent.
• This material and its container must be disposed of in a safe way.
• Keep away from food, drink and animal feeding stuffs.
• Take off immediately all contaminated clothing.
• In case of accident or if you feel unwell IMMEDIATELY contact Doctor or Poison Control Center

-Now don't get me wrong here---I really like Meguiar's car-care products...
But, IMHO, extra precautions should/must be taken under advice...when using D140.

AND...@SetecAstronomy: Excellent Post you presented in regards to HF...Thanks!!!

Bob

Vegas Transplant
07-25-2012, 05:33 PM
I have been using it for as long as it has been available. Never had any problems. I do a ton of BMW beside owning several. You will not have any problems

Mike, I've also used this product for years, and continue to do so, as have many here likewise.
But the bold print in your quote may prove to be erroneous.
I would not have posted the wheel (or the post itself) if I personally had not had this issue in the past.

If the acid leaches the chrome, the lettering and outline are still there...just not chrome. Also, more than likely, the customer would not even notice.

The wheel is not compromised, just the chrome portion of the multi-layer sticker adhered to the plastic centercap.

statusdetailing
07-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm guessing that most cleaners strong enough to clean brake dust off a wheel is going to ef you up if you drink it or get it in your eye ball. You have to be careful with any chemical that strong.

What is a safe but strong alternative (and cost effective) to wheel brightener?

I eat Meg's wheel brightener for breakfast.