PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cleaning Help

gadawg31
07-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I recently allowed a detail company to detail my truck and they seemed to do a pretty good job. However; the water they used inside my truck had to be dirty and they used too much. When it was all said and done, my truck now stinks of musty/dirty socks. I notified the company and they stated it was not their fault. Ok, I am stuck and that is why I need your help. I have scrubbed and done everything possible (with my knowledge) and still the same smell. I was told about "Auto Vaccine" or Auto Shocker", that this will take care of the smell forever. Anyone have thoughts of this product or has anyone used it? Is it very difficult? Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JD

Quattro3.2
07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
I have never used the products, but I would encourage you to continue to pester the company to come fix their mistake. Many companys take the approach that if they can frustrate you or put you off long enough, you will just give up. Keep hounding them until they come back and do it the right way. Stay stong and hold them accountable!

Y2KSVT
07-25-2012, 08:40 AM
I have never used the products, but I would encourage you to continue to pester the company to come fix their mistake. Many companys take the approach that if they can frustrate you or put you off long enough, you will just give up. Keep hounding them until they come back and do it the right way. Stay stong and hold them accountable!

Unfortunately, you can't always rely on this type of company to fix the problem. More than likely, they're a shady outfit and don't know how to fix the issue, which is why they're shrugging him off.

I'd start with Duragloss Absorb-It. It's cheap, and you may be able to find it locally. I haven't used it, but it gets really good reviews. Good luck!

Quattro3.2
07-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Unfortunately, you can't always rely on this type of company to fix the problem. More than likely, they're a shady outfit and don't know how to fix the issue, which is why they're shrugging him off.

I'd start with Duragloss Absorb-It. It's cheap, and you may be able to find it locally. I haven't used it, but it gets really good reviews. Good luck!

I agree, but you have to try right?

What about the odor bomb? Here is the online description on AG

"The Dakota Odor Bomb is a permanent, one-time odor eliminating fogger. The Odor Bomb penetrates every crevice and crack to destroy all malodors inside your vehicle, home, boat, RV, or office. If a bad smell is lingering in your vehicle, clear the air with an Odor Bomb.

The Dakota Odor Bomb is more than an air freshener – it’s a car odor eliminator! The Odor Bomb destroys odors in an entire room with the push of a button. Odors are eliminated permanently. This is not a cover-up deodorizer. Odor Bomb destroys odors caused by urine, feces, decay, rancidity, fire, tobacco smoke, cooking and mildew. The worst smells will disappear!"

Seems worth a try for $8.

Meticulous-Detail
07-25-2012, 09:39 AM
I recently allowed a detail company to detail my truck and they seemed to do a pretty good job. However; the water they used inside my truck had to be dirty and they used too much. When it was all said and done, my truck now stinks of musty/dirty socks. I notified the company and they stated it was not their fault. Ok, I am stuck and that is why I need your help. I have scrubbed and done everything possible (with my knowledge) and still the same smell. I was told about "Auto Vaccine" or Auto Shocker", that this will take care of the smell forever. Anyone have thoughts of this product or has anyone used it? Is it very difficult? Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JD

Did you try extracting? Is the carpet and upholestery dry to the touch?

I recently switched out my work car and it smelled even after cleaning with APC and dressing the interior. What I did was buy two cans of Febreeze Brazillian Rainforest deodorizer and sprayed down the seats, carpet and headliner everynight after I parked it. I left them in the car and it took less than 2 minutes each time. Smell is gone now.

shoeless89
07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
I bet there is/was water stuck under the carpet and turned into mildew which is causing the smell. You can try something like the Dakota Air Bomb or CarPro So2Pure. I've had pretty good luck with both. Worst case is you'll have to pull out the seats and carpet your self to really get everything dry and to also prevent rusting. Let us know what you decide to do!

gadawg31
07-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Shoeless, you are right. There was a ton of water underneath, when I pulled up one side of the carpet at home. I took it back up there that afternoon and had them go over it again with there vacumn, but I think the damage was already done. It had already been sitting in the sun all day before they called me to pick it up. I am speculating this is when it started to turn and that night, I only left my windows cracked to finish drying and that next morning it was very strong. That is when I began the fight with them to redo it and failed. I am over it now, just want to get it back to normal. I have already entertained the idea of pulling seats and carpet and cleaning myself and trying a couple of the previous mentioned products. I just wanted to get some more opinions/suggestions before I started this labor intensive job. Thanks.

JD

ScubaCougr
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
I have already entertained the idea of pulling seats and carpet and cleaning myself and trying a couple of the previous mentioned products.
JD

Odds are most of the puddled water is/was in the footwells. You might not have to pull all the seats and carpet if you remove the door threshhold/footwell toe kick. That should allow you to pull back carpet over most of the threshhold to assess.

If still damp, reverse your vacuum from suck to blow, stick the hose under the carpet and come back in a couple hours.