PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed -- 1st full detail on new car

spewking
07-25-2012, 05:49 AM
I have a white pearl 2010 Acura MDX that needs its first full detail and I need your thoughts on how to proceed. I plan on doing the full routine -- wash, clay, wash, polish, Eraser, paint prep, sealant -- but need your thoughts on the approach to polishes and pads. I plan on using Menzerna topped with Ultima UPGP.

The paint is in good shape overall...garaged, but automatic car washed. So, some slight marring but not massive.

So, my approach is to find the least amount of abrasive that gets the job done. So that requires some spot testing correct? Is that how you do it?

My first test will be with 85RD and a white pad. If the paint does not correct, then I will step up and test SF-4000/PO106FA (any recommendations about this or another polish to step up to are appreciated) with a white pad. If the latter gets it done, I will follow with 85RD and a black/gray pad. Finish with Ultima Paint prep and UPGP.

So, I need your suggestions about the testing procedure and the approach I think I want to use as above. Much appreciated!!!

David

glen e
07-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Two coats of UPGP....8 hours apart gives candy results....love the stuff...

This is a Honda accord with 2 coats...Ultima prep first...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/photo3.jpg

spewking
07-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Wow!! Awesome!!!

How did you find the paint prep? No experience and not a lot of comment in the forums to date.

glen e
07-25-2012, 06:15 AM
It's fine...more of a eraser, cleaner, very little cut...with all you are doing, I don't think you'll need it .... a clean wipe with 15pct iso alcohol will also do it...