PDA

View Full Version : Detail Process

moparman363
04-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I was wondering what I should do for a project I won't be able to complete in one day. Should I only clay, polish, and seal the area's that I can finish? Or should I clay the entire car, polish what I can, and seal the whole thing up, then start over again on the next panels when time allows?
I want to polish my wifes car up nice, but I'll rarely get more than a couple of hours at a time before she drives it away from me. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks

Lance

6LS2
04-07-2007, 10:59 AM
My suggestion, clay the whole car, polish the whole car if you can, then seal it the next day.

moparman363
04-07-2007, 11:09 AM
My suggestion, clay the whole car, polish the whole car if you can, then seal it the next day.

I wish I could, but we have different work schedules. We are only off at the same time one day a week. The car's never been clayed, or polished in it's 5 year life. It's going to take some time.

Nica
04-07-2007, 11:15 AM
I would say wash, clay. The claying will probably take about 1hr since it's never been clayed. I would concentrate on doing a good job on Claying and perhaps the next time you get the car you can do the polish. Now about sealing it, why do you feel you have to seal the vehicle? Why not use a Glaze in stead, just wondering. Keep in mind that you have to let the sealant cure for about 12hrs so this may be a long process for you.

Well that's just mi input, hope it helps out.

Truls
04-07-2007, 11:22 AM
wash and clay first

next time put DuraGloss PBA 601 on the car, and then apply 105 over the 601 (dont remove the 601)

Or just put on a coat of DuraGloss 101, it cleans, protects and shines. easy on, easy off....

moparman363
04-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I would say wash, clay. The claying will probably take about 1hr since it's never been clayed. I would concentrate on doing a good job on Claying and perhaps the next time you get the car you can do the polish. Now about sealing it, why do you feel you have to seal the vehicle? Why not use a Glaze in stead, just wondering. Keep in mind that you have to let the sealant cure for about 12hrs so this may be a long process for you.

Well that's just mi input, hope it helps out.

It's going to be my first time using the PC, so I'll probably be really slow. I probably should have said LSP not necessarily a sealent. I was thinking of a liquid wax.

Nica
04-07-2007, 12:08 PM
It's going to be my first time using the PC, so I'll probably be really slow. I probably should have said LSP not necessarily a sealent. I was thinking of a liquid wax.

Oh well why didn't you say so buddy, I would wash and clay. Trust me claying will take you some time. Then the next time you get the vehicle I would start polishing, you can start with the hood (if it's your first time this is a good area to start). When you’re done you can glaze it or just put some wax on it then move on. This way what ever you get done is protected, if it's your first time you will want to take your time and have fun...lots fun. If you get stuck ( I know I did) just post your questions with pictures if possible lol....we love pictures here lol.

Best of luck buddy and remember your not alone, we all started as a beginner at one point and time.

alban61
04-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I agree.....wash then clay. If it's going to be a couple days before you can get to the car again, and it's going to be driven during that period, I would suggest a thin coat of wax after claying. Claying will remove most/if not all the protection that you had on that car, leaving it exposed to the elements. When you're finally able to polish/PC it.....wash it, and start polishing. Polish/compound that you use will remove the previously applied wax. So no need to strip the wax again before polishing. Or..............you could do a QD of 1:1 mixture of Isopropyl alcohol/water after washing, if you're not comfortable with going straight to polishing.
If you can't finish PC/polishing the entire car due to time, then break it off into sections. Example, maybe do the hood and front quarter panels and completely finish it with your LSP. Next time polish and finish another section. The first time I used my PC and polished my SUV, it took me over 8 hours and I still wasn't really done. Later, Forum members here told me that I didn't have to do the entire vehicle at one time. Wish I had known that before I started. I was aching and dying!! LOL. Could've saved myself some grief and just completed it in sections.
Hope I'm making sense and not confusing things more.

Jimmie
04-07-2007, 01:07 PM
With your schedules I'd do the whole car in sections. Wash initially then clay-polish-protect in sections. After the last section is finished go over the whole car with another layer of your LSP.
It helps to have a "No Rinse Wash" when doing a car in sections.