PDA

View Full Version : Paint over spray

Pages : [1] 2

craz0boy
07-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Received a email from a potential client that 2 of his vehicles have paint specs all over his car. The neighbors had painted their house using a spray gun on a windy day. They have agreed to pay for the removal. Any tips or products that can make removal easy? Price range I should charge?

AutowerxDetailing
07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Subscribed!

craz0boy
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Anyone? Lol

AutowerxDetailing
07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I have had mild success with clay... But it seemed like WAY too much effort to me. I don't think I was dealing with normal house paint though... It was like gray epoxy metal paint from a construction site or something.

Still subscribed... Im the MAN

david11g35
07-24-2012, 08:24 PM
maybe try a test spot with mineral spirits?

Vegas Transplant
07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Way to grind craz0boy . :props:

Use the search feature - key word latex paint. Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum - Search Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=2888910) .Plenty of threads.

Email the prospect to get definitive answer of :
1. Paint type used .
2. How long it has been baking under the Texas sun.
3. Never bid w/o eyeballing.

As far as price range - can't help you...don't know your demographics.

weekendwarrior
07-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Try scraping it off with your finger nail gently. If it comes right off its latex. Should be easy with any paint compound I imagine with a DA/yellow pad. I did it by hand years ago with a rubbing compound and foam pad for a latex (bunch of dots from house overspray). For oil based, unsure.

craz0boy
07-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Defiantly going to get some more info about the overspray, good point. Going to see if I can inspect the vehicles up close and maybe do a test spot. And I found an old thread and video of Mike claying out paint specs using just clay and clay lube. Pretty sure there was a lot of elbow grease involved though lol

AutowerxDetailing
07-25-2012, 02:14 AM
I've seen some dude on youtube scrape paint overspray off with a metal razor blade... I can't, in any way, see how that would be safe to do but he sure got all of it off pretty fast.

shoeless89
07-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I've had great luck removing REALLY bad overspray with Griot's (yellow) clay. I've tried Meguiar's smooth surface clay without doing much. I keep Griot's clay around specifically for really bad fallout, overspray, etc. Its a lot more sticky then normal clay so its kind of a pain to work with but its gotten stuff off that I couldn't get off any other way

A.P.A.D.
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I've seen some dude on youtube scrape paint overspray off with a metal razor blade... I can't, in any way, see how that would be safe to do but he sure got all of it off pretty fast.

there was a quite extensive thread on this forum where this fellow got bashed pretty hard and it got ugly once he chimed in too.

i think he would put down a coat of wax and then remove the wax with the razor blade. not the technique i would use, but he does a lot of paint over spray removal across the country.

do a test spot. see if clay would work. look into getting some plastic razor blades(will save your finger nails). plan on doing at least a one polishing step after.

craz0boy
07-25-2012, 11:17 PM
I have more info from the client.
Paint is latex, most of it came off when he washed it. Both cars are white and the over spray is tan paint.
Im ordering the yellow clay from Griot's, Xenit (which Mike has said worked well for him), and going to get some plastic razor blades.
Should be inspecting this weekend and working on the cars next week. Ill be sure to post pics and let yall know how it goes.

kmsdetailing
07-29-2012, 08:48 PM
If you're going to use Griots clay, you should use Latex gloves as after a while of claying, the clay starts to stick to your hands and it's hard to get off. Even with pumice.

MikeAOK
07-29-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm dealing with this same problem. I picked up a clay bar from my local auto body & paint supply store yesterday. Brand is Presta purple high abrasive clay. Car currently has yellow over spray from road. Not sure how long it sat on the car. Anyways I kept the vehicle lubed as I worked the clay. It took a lot of effort but little by little it started to come off. I still have to finish as there is still long splatter on the section just below the passenger side door. Also still have to tackle the wheel well which is full of paint.

craz0boy
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
If you're going to use Griots clay, you should use Latex gloves as after a while of claying, the clay starts to stick to your hands and it's hard to get off. Even with pumice.

Good tip. I'll remember to throw on some gloves