PDA

View Full Version : Paint over spray

Pages : 1 [2]

craz0boy
07-31-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm dealing with this same problem. I picked up a clay bar from my local auto body & paint supply store yesterday. Brand is Presta purple high abrasive clay. Car currently has yellow over spray from road. Not sure how long it sat on the car. Anyways I kept the vehicle lubed as I worked the clay. It took a lot of effort but little by little it started to come off. I still have to finish as there is still long splatter on the section just below the passenger side door. Also still have to tackle the wheel well which is full of paint.

Luckily for me the overspray is not bad and if anything not even visible unless your inspecting close up. Its more of a " i want my neighbor to pay for this!" type situation lol Checked out the vehicles Sunday set them up for this weekend and will be doing full exterior detail and overspray removal on a Dodge Ram Crew cab and Scion xb.

master detailer
07-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I just did 23 cars with the same thing and they need to be clay bared .Also the clay will only last for 2 to 3 cars at most the clay I by is 30.00 a bar if it was me I would get 100.00 per car. most times you clay then wash then clay agian then wash then wax. was taking me 2 to 3 hrs per car. ps paint was 2 weeks old on the ones I did.

master detailer
07-31-2012, 02:17 PM
If you're going to use Griots clay, you should use Latex gloves as after a while of claying, the clay starts to stick to your hands and it's hard to get off. Even with pumice.
when it is sticking to you hands its no good any more get new bar

umi000
07-31-2012, 08:46 PM
I feel that these sort of situations are where the clay bar substitutes such as the foam block, the Nanoscrub pad and the prep towel really come into their own - since you can just wash them out, they're likely to be more economical than using several bars of clay on just one car to remove the overspray, and if you're going for a more aggressive clay, you'll get marring too (same as the substitutes), so that's no longer an issue to consider.

craz0boy
08-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Actually used the griots clay brand new out of the package and it is really sticky. Used gloves and plenty of clay lube. Worked fine

Andr3wilson
08-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Personally i did a black Merc S550 that had some white over spray on it. it wasn't too bad but definitely noticeable. I first clayed it, (car had never been clayed) Then I used a medium/high compound with a foamed wool pad. that got it all off for me. not too sure what yours is like but try that

Vegas Transplant
08-02-2012, 08:27 PM

?

CK_Autospa
08-02-2012, 09:19 PM
if you are finding clay is working but just extremely slow, try an aggressive clay.

sohail99
08-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I once removed my tail lamps to clean behind them and the amount of overspray there was horrendous!!!

It was so severe that it disintegrated the clay right away which didn't even touch it! Eventually I tried plastic razor blades but they weren't any good too!

Should I leave it like that or get a metal razor out!?
(This spot is behind the tail lamps and isn't visible unless one removes the tail lamps!)

craz0boy
08-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I once removed my tail lamps to clean behind them and the amount of overspray there was horrendous!!!

It was so severe that it disintegrated the clay right away which didn't even touch it! Eventually I tried plastic razor blades but they weren't any good too!

Should I leave it like that or get a metal razor out!?
(This spot is behind the tail lamps and isn't visible unless one removes the tail lamps!)

I would just leave it. I don't think anyone will be removing your tail lamps to inspect them anytime soon lol I wonder if your car was repainted and that's how the over spray got back there

craz0boy
08-05-2012, 08:32 PM
So I just got back from the over spray removal. Took me and my brother 4 hours for both vehicles. Claying took the overspray right out. I didnt even have to use the more aggresive griots clay. For the plastic parts had to use alot of elbow grease (not sold in stores), a little scrubbing brush & some Xenit. My client was pleased with the job & I got some advertising in thanks to all the curious neighbors lol I didnt get to take pics of overspray but here are the end results.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/42576/IMG_15431.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/42576/IMG_15452.JPG

Vegas Transplant
08-05-2012, 08:55 PM
:dblthumb2:

The fact that you went least aggressive speaks volumes.
Your progression is impressive, and so is your resolve. Keep up the good work:props: