PDA

View Full Version : Really puzzled on waste water

HDDetail
07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I know with the EPA Act I need to properly dispose my water. I tried searching all over the internet the last 2 days on where to dispose the waste water if I have a Wash mat and tank but I have yet to find an answer. Does anyone on this forum know where I can dispose the water in Houston? Having the system is part one, but figuring out part two is what i need help on.

cleanscapes
07-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Usually you would need to take it to a waste facility. You may need a permit to haul depending on how many gallons you are hauling. I'd call Houston city offical's themselves, I know for a fact they have worked with the pressure washing contractors in the area about reclaim, hauling, etc. in the last few years.

AutowerxDetailing
07-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Water your lawn with it.

WindyCity
07-24-2012, 05:57 PM
you can drain it down a toilet as well

Setec Astronomy
07-24-2012, 09:38 PM
As long as you don't have anything hazardous in it, you should be able to just sanitary sewer it, as Windy City noted. If you're degreasing engines or using HF wheel cleaner, that will be a different story. As long as it's just dirt and soap, going down the (sanitary) drain should be fine. Just don't put it down a storm drain or let it run directly into a body of water.

shoeless89
07-25-2012, 09:51 AM
I usually dump it in the creek behind my house along with my oil and anti-freeze :)

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
What I said yesterday not withstanding, the proper way is to consult with your local sewer authorities. The enforcement of the EPA Clean Water Act is delegated to local authorities, they all have different ways of handling it.

Quattro3.2
07-25-2012, 10:14 AM
What I said yesterday not withstanding, the proper way is to consult with your local sewer authorities. The enforcement of the EPA Clean Water Act is delegated to local authorities, they all have different ways of handling it.

:iagree:

You are correct, the EPA Clean Water Act requires that wastewater be treated or disposed of properly. A part of that is the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System usually requires permitting from the state or local authorites to discharge into a sanitary sewer. you cannot just pump it into the sewer system without proper documentation of testing to make sure the waste water does not contain hazardous materials. Talking to the local authorites is always your best bet.

One option that i have seen done in industrial settings is called an evaporator. This system allows for the water to be evaporated leaving you with what is reffered to as sludge. You can then do a TCLP test to determine if your sludge contains any hazardous materials. If the tests are negative for haz mat, you can dump the sludge with general refuse. If there are contaminates you have to get an EPA generator number and dispose of the sludge as haz waste with an approved vendor.

Haz waste can get complicated

Y2KSVT
07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
I usually dump it in the creek behind my house along with my oil and anti-freeze :)

This made me laugh. :dblthumb2: