PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat 2.0: A Few Questions

Biff Webster
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I am thinking about putting OC 2.0 on my Corvette, but I have a few questions.

1. I have a clear bra on various parts of the car, can I or should I put OC on the clear bra?

2. I have factory matte black vinyl stripes, can I or should I put OC on the stripes?

3. After prep, I only apply 1 coat of OC, correct?

4. How long after application do I need to keep it away from water, birds, bugs, etc.?

5. Is there anything I should know before doing this?

Chris Thomas
07-24-2012, 03:23 PM
...1. I have a clear bra on various parts of the car, can I or should I put OC on the clear bra?

You can put it under or over PPF.

2. I have factory matte black vinyl stripes, can I or should I put OC on the stripes?

Adding the coating over any matte finish may add some gloss.

3. After prep, I only apply 1 coat of OC, correct?

One coat is all that is needed. Make sure you have even coverage...managable sections, take your time.

4. How long after application do I need to keep it away from water, birds, bugs, etc.?

It can be wet after an hour, washed after 24 hours, strong wash after a week, fully hardens in 30-90 days depending on exposure to heat and UV. Bird bombs and bugs should be removed ASAP for the first 1-4 weeks.

5. Is there anything I should know before doing this?

There are literally dozens of threads where people have had concerns and those of use with experience have replied. If you have a specific concern, let me know...and you can see what others have asked by typing "Opti Coat, Opti Guard, Optimum Coating, etc" into the search box.

op1001
07-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I hope i am not hi-jacking your thread, but a question on the opti-coat thing...

if you don't have a garage, can you apply it outside?

and after you do your IPA wipe down can you apply it directly after or should you wait a bit, as IPA softens/swells paint as people say....

Biff, will you be polishing first and doing all the necessary prep work?

builthatch
07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
I hope i am not hi-jacking your thread, but a question on the opti-coat thing...

you can, but i wouldn't. it's too hard to not recognize high spots or uneven areas when working outside, especially on certain colors in certain lighting conditions. a purposefully lit garage, preferably with mobile halogens and overhead fluorescents, is worth it when working with something that is permanent like 2.0. if you must work outside, obviously do it in the shade and in an area/time of year with little debris and no wind.

and after you do your IPA wipe down can you apply it directly after or should you wait a bit, as IPA softens/swells paint as people say....

yes, you can. ideally, if you are doing the rest of the prep properly, and especially if you are using Optimum polishes, a true 20% IPA solution should not cause any issues whatsoever when doing an IPA wipe.

Biff Webster
07-25-2012, 08:30 PM

Biff, will you be polishing first and doing all the necessary prep work?
Yeah, the paint is in pretty good shape so it won't take much