PDA

View Full Version : Winter prep - DD kept outside Northeast

Pages : [1] 2

weekendwarrior
07-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi all, relative newbie here, questions for the experts:

Would like to get products to prep for winter here in Northeast PA. Daily driver, parked outside 100% of the time, 2010 Forester, dark grey. Not looking for super high end products, its a family vehicle DD, wanting durability, look decent, long lasting paint protection for many months of winter snow, ice, road salts etc. Won't have easy time washing/waxing vehicle during winter as I have no garage access.

What I did for July->
Wash (Meguiars cheap stuff, used up what I had left)
Clay bar (lube was ONR mix, clay was red generic bar from Amazon, the red bar not great FYI, liked Mothers yellow kit better)
M205 (just the hood for practice) with Orange and Green 6.5" CCS pads (came with kit)
LSP was Collinite 845, applied with PC7424xp red CCS pad, buffed by and with MF.

Will wash every week or two, with ONR, and Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax touch ups afterwards. Waste of time with spray wax as touch up/extender?

For October, getting ready for winter treatment thinking of the following:
Buy 5.5" Orange/White/Grey CCS pads, use M205 to clean paint (after wash/clay)
Buy Duragloss #111 CCP, for sealant (its not a polish, but a finishing sealant correct?) Apply using White or Grey?
Use up remaining Collinite 845 OR buy Carnuba Max Wax on sale now? as topper over #111?

Would that give me 6 months protection ? In Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb most of March (unless warm spell) I won't get weather/garage access to wax again. Thoughts? Recommendations?

marky3320
07-24-2012, 02:17 PM
For washing during the winter season, are you going the waterless wash route, or standard wash?

BobbyG
07-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Will wash every week or two, with ONR, and Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax touch ups afterwards. Waste of time with spray wax as touch up/extender?

The way to increase the protection is to use a quality spray car wax like Optimum Car Wax, Duragloss Aquawax, or XMT Spray wax...

For October, getting ready for winter treatment thinking of the following:
Buy 5.5" Orange/White/Grey CCS pads, use M205 to clean paint (after wash/clay)
Buy Duragloss #111 CCP, for sealant (its not a polish, but a finishing sealant correct?) Apply using White or Grey?
Use up remaining Collinite 845 OR buy Carnuba Max Wax on sale now? as topper over #111?

In the Northeast October is a great month for preparing cars and truck for the long cold winter ahead. Unlike our fair weather friends to the south, we must take those extra steps in order to keep mother nature at bay..

Wash
Clay
Paint
Sealant

Once the clay step is complete, I'd recommend using a product like Duragloss 501 on a White foam pad to clean and polish each panel.

For protection try using Duragloss 601 according to directions then apply Duragloss 105 or Duragloss 111 for some real sealant protectant.

Carnauba waxes are nice products but if you want long lasting protection then stick with sealants.

Would that give me 6 months protection ? In Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb most of March (unless warm spell) I won't get weather/garage access to wax again. Thoughts? Recommendations?

DEXTERITY
07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
please don't say the word winter yet, lol... sadly before you know it October will be here. I will be in the same situation as you.. preparing the car for all the salt and other crap which comes with winter in Jersey.. so depressing to think about in July..

weekendwarrior
07-24-2012, 03:33 PM
For washing during the winter season, are you going the waterless wash route, or standard wash?

If we are lucky, on days above 40, ONR since I won't have to get too wet. Rest of the time it will stay dirty.

weekendwarrior
07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
The way to increase the protection is to use a quality spray car wax like Optimum Car Wax, Duragloss Aquawax, or XMT Spray wax...

In the Northeast October is a great month for preparing cars and truck for the long cold winter ahead. Unlike our fair weather friends to the south, we must take those extra steps in order to keep mother nature at bay..

Wash
Clay
Paint
Sealant

Once the clay step is complete, I'd recommend using a product like Duragloss 501 on a White foam pad to clean and polish each panel.

For protection try using Duragloss 601 according to directions then apply Duragloss 105 or Duragloss 111 for some real sealant protectant.

Carnauba waxes are nice products but if you want long lasting protection then stick with sealants.

Thanks! Unfortunately I bought the Meguiars spray wax already, so I'll just use that up and see how it goes. But I'll try the Aquawax next.

Question about Duragloss 601, do you coat the entire vehicle with 601 then coat with #111 and buff both off together, or apply each to sections (2x2) as with other products? The product description page is unclear to me.

Kaleb G.
07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Two winters ago I used two coats of 845 in November, and it was still beading like a champ in March. That was the year we had a really bad winter, too. A bad central IL winter probably isn't very comparable to a NE winter, though haha.

weekendwarrior
07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Two winters ago I used two coats of 845 in November, and it was still beading like a champ in March. That was the year we had a really bad winter, too. A bad central IL winter probably isn't very comparable to a NE winter, though haha.

I lived in Bloomington for a year ! And while there is more wind there, there is generally more snow/sleet/ice here (not last year though). Comparable temps though. We can have "good winters" and bad ones too though.

Kaleb G.
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I lived in Bloomington for a year ! And while there is more wind there, there is generally more snow/sleet/ice here (not last year though). Comparable temps though. We can have "good winters" and bad ones too though.

If you're ever in the area again, let me know! I was born and raised 30 miles down 55 from Bloomington and now I work and go to school there. Two winters ago we got 13 inches of snow in just a few hours. It seemed like as soon as one snow would start to melt we'd get more. I couldn't have been more happy with 845 after that.

weekendwarrior
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Well I went ahead with 501 and 601/105 , plus the Aquawax to use in November as touch up heading into the winter. Bunch of 5.5" pads and the 4" kit. I ordered the 111 also, I have a second older vehicle and maybe I'll do that one with 111 and compare the two.

Thanks for the advice Bobby and everyone.

Kaleb I probably won't be back in IL, worked for SF corporate office for a year and changed companies. But 13" is a lot of snow for us too!

BillyJack
07-24-2012, 05:34 PM
I live in Pittsburgh and my DD stays outside 24/7 also. Based on my experience with 845 the past two winters, I'll be using it again, unless I step up to 476. I try to do my winter prep as late as possible, usually mid-November. This year, if time permits, I'll polish first with DG 501/601, as it worked so well this spring, followed by at least one pass with 845 or 476, two if time permits. Often in January we'll get a bit of a warm spell, so I'll do a quick booster with Optimum or Duragloss spray wax. OCW lasts longer IMO, but I just enjoy how DGAW sheds rain or snow when it's fresh. My DD is an Oldsmobile, so it's far from new, but my AutoGeekness needs exercise all year around, even when the garage queen Camino is in hibernation.

Bill

stibuki
07-24-2012, 05:44 PM
I am in the North East also been going this route on my DD for the last few years with great results.

Wash with Duragloss #901
Clay with Blue Magic this year it will be a Speedy prep towel.
If paint is in good condition #501 mixed 4 to 1 with 601 and a white pad.
One coat of #105 with #601 and a black pad.
One coat of 845 as I like the way it mellows out and adds a warm glow the some what sterile shine of Duragloss
Toped with Aqua Wax the next day.

Quick shot of Aqua Wax after each wash.

All great bang for the buck products. In almost all cases with proper maintenance will last the whole winter. BTW... pretty sure you are going to like the #105 better than the #111.

mswerb
07-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Winter prep? I don't even want to hear the word "Winter"

sproketser
08-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanx for the tips , I ll need some winter protection .

FishyX
08-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Great info in this thread! I'm in Michigan and have always trusted Zaino Z2 to get me through the long winters but this year I have switched to the DG 601/105 combo. I like the DG look a little better so I'm gonna see how it goes. Another thing I do each fall is touch up my do-it-yourself 3M undercoat job. It's hard to keep a DD looking good in the saltbelts but it can be done.