PDA

View Full Version : A little help....

MikeAOK
07-23-2012, 10:35 PM
I work at a dealer where of course my job is detailing new and used cars. We all use dewalt 849's which I enjoy. Mine was given to me right out the box. Anyways the products we use are mequiars m85 and some off brand correction creme and polish. Today I got a brand new car had heavy water marks that I tried to get out using the rotary. Pad choice is from buff and shine. All I have is a black pad and yellow. I don't think the products I just mentioned are a good combination. I don't do it, but everyone else mixes all 3 products before "compounding". I never heard off this or done this before. Talk about cutting corners. I don't want to be that typical dealer detailer. I actually enjoy auto detailing and want to get better. I'm just getting back into after a few years off. I'm limited with what I have at work as far as product. I definitely wish they let us get whatever we needed. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

DaveT435
07-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm new to detailing. It sounds like you want change at your place of employment. That can be tricky...too many times people just want to say that's the way we've always done it and never had any problems instead of listening to new ideas and honestly evaluating different processes. Obviously if you want change you need to talk to your supervisor. Is he a descent guy...open minded? Tell him you really enjoy what your doing...tell him you've been studying up on detailing cars. He can't knock you for that (your being a student of your profession). Then mention there are a lot of new techniques and products that could allow you to do a better job quicker. Bottom line time is money. If he shows interest and starts asking questions about what you've learned then there is hope. If he just kind of blows you off then it doesn't sound like your going to have much luck.
Not sure if that's what your looking for...but other than you taking your own products in and showing them what they can do I really don't see many more options.

ShaunD
07-23-2012, 11:20 PM
First off, welcome to AG. Where are you from?
I am sorry to hear about your working conditions. However, you are in the right place to learn better than what your shop can ever teach you. I think the pads you guys have to work with are polishing and finishing pads. The yellow pad may have some cutting ability for compounding but is not the type of pad that Meg's #85 is intended for. Diamond Cut #85 is deisgned to work with wool cutting pads or a definite foam cutting pad. The other two products you said you have I have no idea what they are or what their intended uses are. I would imagine they medium to light polishes with some paint cleaning ability.
I am not 100% sure what your asking in this thread. If you are asking what to use at work for water spots, then I would say did you trying vinegar after washing the vehicle of loose debris? What about claying? Does your shop even supply you with clay?
Sounds like a lot to be desired where you work. But good education on what is available and how to properly use products would probably be most helpful.

LuxuryAutoSpa
07-24-2012, 06:53 AM
i can answer your question, because i feel ya i just got through working for a bmw and mercedes dealer and they had the most bs products and equipment that's why on alot of my cars i bought and used my own products becuase i wasn't the average dealer detailer. if your super is a a hole like mine was if you show your good and confident in your work becareful because he will feel his job is in jeopardy...bingo!!

Anyway learn all you can, and what i have learned is to just stay in your lane improve your skills and move on to your own business if thats something you love. Dealers only care about getting that car sold and cleaned in the least amount of time never mind what you as a detailer know what needs to be done...point blank they don't care, you work like a dog to get scratches and marring out of the paint....to only get why is that car not ready yet and etc..........

Becareful, you give to much info theyll outcast you into the oh he thinks he knows everything........my super use to scream all day i been doing this 35 years but compounds brand new cars withwool pads and leave swirls for days. and the dealer accepts it.....i just shake my head

MikeAOK
07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys. My job is good no issues, other than the limited products we have. We do clay the cars after washing them. Wash,clay, wash, compound,wash, then polish.

MikeAOK
07-24-2012, 08:12 AM
i can answer your question, because i feel ya i just got through working for a bmw and mercedes dealer and they had the most bs products and equipment that's why on alot of my cars i bought and used my own products becuase i wasn't the average dealer detailer. if your super is a a hole like mine was if you show your good and confident in your work becareful because he will feel his job is in jeopardy...bingo!!

Anyway learn all you can, and what i have learned is to just stay in your lane improve your skills and move on to your own business if thats something you love. Dealers only care about getting that car sold and cleaned in the least amount of time never mind what you as a detailer know what needs to be done...point blank they don't care, you work like a dog to get scratches and marring out of the paint....to only get why is that car not ready yet and etc..........

Becareful, you give to much info theyll outcast you into the oh he thinks he knows everything........my super use to scream all day i been doing this 35 years but compounds brand new cars withwool pads and leave swirls for days. and the dealer accepts it.....i just shake my head

Wow... Exactly. Wool pads and swirls. I couldn't believe it when I saw it myself. I don't do it.

DaveT435
07-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Not all supervisors are a holes though...if yours is then you probably don't have much chance. Hopefully he's not.

MikeAOK
07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Not all supervisors are a holes though...if yours is then you probably don't have much chance. Hopefully he's not.

Yeah he's pretty cool. I spoke to him about getting us PCXP's. What they have to put polish on the cars is Dewalts 449 (think thats the model number)orbital sander/polisher.Still more of a sander as it doesn't oscillate as much as what you'd get with a PC.

Vegas Transplant
07-24-2012, 10:24 PM
You should have known the deal when you signed on.
Just because they use what you perceive as inferior products and methods, doesn't mean that you can't benefit.
Do what you have to to get by on the job.

Perfect your method off the clock, build up a clientel, and keep on grinding.

MikeAOK
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM
You should have known the deal when you signed on.
Just because they use what you perceive as inferior products and methods, doesn't mean that you can't benefit.
Do what you have to to get by on the job.

Perfect your method off the clock, build up a clientel, and keep on grinding. I was painted a different picture before I signed on. They wanted an experienced detailer. If they wanted someone to do the routine as they do then they should hire someone with no detailing background and train them on their methods. You are right though I will continue to use the job as advantage to get better. I will probably bring in some of my own products in the future and try different methods.