PDA

View Full Version : New Car- First Polish/ Wax- Need Advice

Bosta
07-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Hello All,

I have been reading many Auto Geek's threads and watching as many "how to" videos on detailing as I can over the last week or two. I believe I have the basic theory down. Last week I purchased a new-to-me car: '08 Eclispe. Silver in color. It does not appear to have any paint defects (spiders, oxidization, or scratches) except for a few paint chips on the front bumper which I'm not worried about.

Tonight I bought Mother's 3-step Ultimate Wax System and a claybar kit. I will be doing the typical steps:

Wash/ dry car
Clay bar car
Wax system- steps 1, 2, and 3

I will probably end up doing this by hand; however, I am curious about this polisher: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarWashingCleaning/CarPolishers/PRD~0399013P/Simoniz+7-in.+Sander+%26+Waxer.jsp?locale=en (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarWashingCleaning/CarPolishers/PRD%7E0399013P/Simoniz+7-in.+Sander+%26+Waxer.jsp?locale=en)

Basically what I am looking to accomplish is to protect my paint and make the car look good at the same time by bringing out a nice shine. Therefore, I will be applying the wax system one step at a time and removing it one step at a time. i know these are known as "wax-speaders". Will this be a sufficient polisher to do the job?

I totally understand that DA polishers like the PC 7424XP are the cat's meow but I do not want to spend the extra money on something I will not use to its full potential- since I'm not buffing out scratches or getting ride of spiders.

Also, I have two more questions/ concerns maybe someone can help me with:

I've read if you use a polisher that is NOT a DA like a PC 7424XP, the polisher is prone to burn the paint in the wrong hands. How can you burn through the paint- just by keeping the polisher in one place for too long? I've watched videos using a criss-cross motion with a polisher while always keeping it moving- will this prevent burning the paint?
A reviewer on this product (on the same webpage) mentioned the back-plate was the same size as the sponge and he scratched his bumper...how is this possible and is a feature of a product I should avoid?

I know this is a long post, but I think after I have these answers, I will be ready to make the car shine.

Thanks in advance.

Bosta
07-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Forgot one more question:

3. I've noticed Mike using foam applicator pads when applying wax by hand...any big difference in using foam vs microfiber?

rider9195
07-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Since the finish on your car looks good, your steps will work fine.

The polisher you have listed is a rotary polisher. I do not recommend getting this if you just want to protect your paint. This machine would only be needed if you would want to remove defects such as swirls and scratches on your paint. You would actually be better off buying a Porter Cable. It is a lot more safe and easier to use for someone who is new to machine polishing and waxing.

Since you just want to protect your paint, using the Mother's 3 Step System by hand would work perfectly fine.

I would look through this thread and all the links in it. It will answer your questions about the different type of polishers. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html

I prefer using a foam applicator when applying paste waxes as well, as do others. I feel that when using a microfiber applicator it tends to be grabby when wanting to spread the wax.

Bosta
07-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Since the finish on your car looks good, your steps will work fine.

The polisher you have listed is a rotary polisher. I do not recommend getting this if you just want to protect your paint. This machine would only be needed if you would want to remove defects such as swirls and scratches on your paint. You would actually be better off buying a Porter Cable. It is a lot more safe and easier to use for someone who is new to machine polishing and waxing.

Since you just want to protect your paint, using the Mother's 3 Step System by hand would work perfectly fine.

I would look through this thread and all the links in it. It will answer your questions about the different type of polishers. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html

I prefer using a foam applicator when applying paste waxes as well, as do others. I feel that when using a microfiber applicator it tends to be grabby when wanting to spread the wax.

Thank you for your reply. The reason I was looking at that particular polish was because it was on sale $60 (a Porter Cable is about $100 more dollars here in Canada).

I am basically trying to speed up the process of applying wax and buffing. Will this Simoniz do the trick or would I be better off doing it by hand?

mwoolfso
07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Thank you for your reply. The reason I was looking at that particular polish was because it was on sale $60 (a Porter Cable is about $100 more dollars here in Canada).

I am basically trying to speed up the process of applying wax and buffing. Will this Simoniz do the trick or would I be better off doing it by hand?

Consider getting a couple of P21S applicators.

German wax applicators, P21s 100% Carnauba Wax Applicators, foam wax pads (http://www.autogeek.net/p21s-wax-applicators.html)

They work extremely well. With a liquid wax I can cover a car within 15 min.; and it is easy to apply thin and get in tight spots as well.