PDA

View Full Version : Griots Garage Professional Random Orbital 3 Inch Polisher

Johny B
07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi,

I was reading on several autocare forums about this tool and most of the comments are negative.Apparently the thing has no power whatsoever,if any pressure at all is aplied it stops the rotation of the buffer making it useless. I would appreciate your comments. Thank you

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Mike has commented on this before. It doesn't have a lot of power, Mike likes it for wetsanding. I bought mine for getting into tight places, particularly for the backs of wheels and wheel spokes. It works ok for that, and I find it works fine with the microfiber pads.

Eandras
07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
The unit is very underpowered but serves a purpose as Setec said

DeadlySheds
07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
I have the 'new' version and think it is awesome. It's only spinning a 3" pad so it's no less under powered than the PC spinning a 5.5" pad IMO. If u like I can try to shoot a video and put it on youtube.

Johny B
07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys for your replies.DeadlySheds if you upload a video on You Tube please let me know.

Thanks again.

DaveT435
07-23-2012, 09:51 PM
I have the 'new' version and think it is awesome. It's only spinning a 3" pad so it's no less under powered than the PC spinning a 5.5" pad IMO. If u like I can try to shoot a video and put it on youtube.
I would like to see that. I'm considering getting one. The 3" pads on a DA make getting in some spots a lot easier...but with the smaller head on that thing it seems like you would get a lot better angles. When you say "new" one...when did they make the change?

Eandras
07-24-2012, 07:59 PM
I am interested in the new and improved version. What makes it different. I got mine about a month ago and it is underpowered

Setec Astronomy
07-24-2012, 09:41 PM
I would like to see that. I'm considering getting one. The 3" pads on a DA make getting in some spots a lot easier...but with the smaller head on that thing it seems like you would get a lot better angles. When you say "new" one...when did they make the change?

I am interested in the new and improved version. What makes it different. I got mine about a month ago and it is underpowered

Fellers...they changed it a couple of years ago. IIRC they made the shape a bit more ergonomic and improved the power to its current stunning level.

Here you go, more like 2.5 years ago: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/21846-3-mini-polisher-gen-ii-griot-s-garage-mini-polisher.html

DeadlySheds
07-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Here you go. Crappy video. I was using my beer filled garage fridge and putting as much pressure as possible on the polisher. It was still spinning. I had it on speed 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTi01_9p4AY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

mhphoto
07-26-2012, 11:17 PM
I have a 3'' backing plate for my PC. That works just fine. Not sure I'd ever need one of the dedicated 3'' ones.

ryance39
07-27-2012, 12:23 AM
I love my gg3inch. It doesn't have a ton of power but what are you going to need it for that it will need crazy power it gets the job done great for what it's intended for. My grandfather got one for making applying wax easier cause of his bad shoulder.

Eandras
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
I have to pick up some of the 3" pads. The one Autogeek originally sent were too small for the 2 7/8" backing plate. They then sent me some 4" doesn't spin like yours with the 3" pads.

bmwgalore
07-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Any DA like the Porter Cable or Griots 6" will accept small plates and 3" pads, no need to buy an underpowered polisher...
I have a 3" pads on both my PCxp and GG6 with no problem at all.