PDA

View Full Version : Dressing the trim is a mess..

pcw25
07-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Okay, so everytime I go to dress my trim to make it look dark and nice, I get my dressing on the paint EVERYTIME. The paint is black, and it looks hideous and messy when I attempt to dress the trim. I've always heard good things about Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus and Gtechniq C4.

My question is what products do you prefer for relatively new trim (Black 2011 Pilot, maintained) and how do I dress the outside trim without getting it everywhere?

Feed back please

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2012, 06:05 PM
What are you using for an applicator?

swanicyouth
07-23-2012, 06:08 PM
I like to use the paint foam applicators on a stick. They are a dollar or two from most paint stores. They keep your hands clean and enable to to apply the dressing with pin point accuracy.

pcw25
07-23-2012, 06:09 PM
What are you using for an applicator?

I usually cut up a microfiber towel so it's really small. It still gets everywhere.

pcw25
07-23-2012, 06:09 PM
I like to use the paint foam applicators on a stick. They are a dollar or two from most paint stores. They keep your hands clean and enable to to apply the dressing with pin point accuracy.

That sounds like a great idea! Why didn't I think of that... :)

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Well, UTTG and C4 are a bit different, if you get them on your paint, it's not an oily kind of trim dressing mess, it's a different kind of mess. The C4 is semi-permanent, so you'd probably want to mask, but you won't have to do it very often. The UTTG you can wipe off. the best way of course, is not to get it on the paint.

Besides the brush, there are other foam applicators and swabs.

Bunky
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
You can always tape off sections or use some edge guard (something stiff like what comes from Black Wow) to help mask. For application, paint dabbers (from craft stores) are nice. They have round ends for precise use.

pcw25
07-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I think I'll try the foam sticks! Now product wise...which gives a better darkening effect?

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
C4 is the bomb for trim restoration. I'm sure the Carpro DLUX is similar.

fenderpicks
07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
I personally use UTTG with a art paint brush....
Takes forever and i still do get it on the trim....

So it's kind of unpreventable....

I have my eyes on the DLUX and C4......

van185
07-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Another great idea on the Forum! It really pays to keep reading them all!!!!!!!!:dblthumb2:

swanicyouth
07-23-2012, 06:49 PM
These bad boys work awesome. Plus they come in different sizes. For different location. Also, on the small ones, it literally takes a few drops of product to prime them.

http://img.tapatalk.com/445449b6-e339-22f2.jpg

bmwgalore
07-23-2012, 07:54 PM

+1, very good stuff!
And it's very cheap, so replacing them often is not a problem.

sushi
07-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Okay, so everytime I go to dress my trim to make it look dark and nice, I get my dressing on the paint EVERYTIME. The paint is black, and it looks hideous and messy when I attempt to dress the trim. I've always heard good things about Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus and Gtechniq C4.

My question is what products do you prefer for relatively new trim (Black 2011 Pilot, maintained) and how do I dress the outside trim without getting it everywhere?

Feed back please

Buy a small bottle of Klasse AIO and use it on the trim. I use it on all trim. It not only removes white stains, but it deepens the color and is permanent. Klasse makes taping off the trim and windows a waste of time. Their SG also works on trim.

I've also recently used 303 Aerospace protectant on a SRX rocker panel trim. That has held up for a month.