PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Stains from Foam Applicators

swanicyouth
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
I think I finally found a way to remove 90%+ of the wax from stained applicators. I hate when I use a colored product like Purple Haze, Natty's Red, or Black Hole and it stains the applicator the color of the wax.

I've tried a lot of things to no avail: Dawn, APC+, shampoo, citrus cleaners detergent, etc... None of these seem to really do much (if anything) to remove the staining the wax or glaze leaves behind.

Today I decided to try something different. I didn't take a before pic, because I honestly didn't expect this to come out any difference from before. The applicator is an old P21S applicator that was heavily stained with Purple Haze, Nattys Red, and Black Hole. The products have been stained on the applicator for months and I was ready to just throw it out.

But, I decided to try Goo Gone. Now, this stuff is oily and pretty good at removing anything waxy or sticky. Only makes sense it would remove wax/glaze from applicators or pads. The main issue is, you have to then get the Goo Gone out of pad after its done it's job. I tried Purple Power first , and it did Ok and seemed to potentiate the cleaning ability of the Goo Gone. Then, I used dish washing soap with warm water and that removed the Goo Gone from the foam. After that, I squished and rinsed the applicator for several minutes under warm water. All came out of the foam and the orange smell from the Goo Gone was also gone.

The only precaution I would say is the Goo Gone could possibly desolve any glue involved in the foam applicator manufacturing process, like used in Velcro adhesion or pad layering (think multi colored CCS pads). But, I can't see it being a problem if the Goo Gone is completely rinsed out. This applicator actually had some Crazy Glue holding the foam to the backing that actually remained perfectly intact.

Of course, this is a bit laborious. Like most things worth doing, it takes a little time. But it did remove the purple from the Purple Haze, the red from the Nattys, and the black from the Black Hole. This was my go to applicator for these colored products, while it's several years old and beat up, I always did keep it clean as possible with dish soap. But, it was heavily stained dark red/purple. Now the stains are 90% gone. I wish I took a before pic, but it was heavily stained after several dish soap washings.

After:

http://img.tapatalk.com/445449b6-9110-770d.jpg

fahoumh
07-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Did the stains affect the performance of the pad? Or was it about aesthetics?

swanicyouth
07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Did the stains affect the performance of the pad? Or was it about aesthetics?

Pretty much aesthetics. They just look grungy with stains from the old products in them. But if there are stains from old products, I'm guessing there is some residue from old products also.

fahoumh
07-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Pretty much aesthetics. They just look grungy with stains from the old products in them. But if there are stains from old products, I'm guessing there is some residue from old products also.
I wonder if that residue has any sort of noticeable effect....like a bit of compound left on a pad.