PDA

View Full Version : Taping and working around curves

TP143
07-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Hi all,

I just received my GG polisher and Wolfgang kit and will be attempting my first polish job this week. I just want to clear up a few things before I get going.

1. Do I need to tape trim and raised areas if I am using a dual action polisher? I have seen this on the rotary videos but not on the DA videos (but this could be because the DA videos I watched were hoods only).

2. When working on curved or raised areas is it ok to tilt the machine so that it only contacts the difficult area? This would apply to the quick dropoffs on the top of my hood and areas such as the piece running along side the front window and up/over the side windows. i just want to make sure I don't need to do anything in particular when working these type areas, and I don't want product flying everywhere if the machine is tilted and only contacting a small portion of paint.

Thanks!

Rayaz
07-23-2012, 12:20 AM
I do not make my living doing this so maybe those who do would have a different idea.

I tape trim and any other area I don't want to polish. I leave raised areas bare but I don't allow the polisher to flow over them. Just right up to them but not over them, especially with aggressive polish or compound. The raised areas will have the thinnest clear and I'm afraid to burn thru and the focused friction caused by the crease will make that happen fast. Not to me (yet).

As for the narrow areas; I hold the polisher at an angle and use a well primed pad. Usually one I'm about to clean or change. I've tried a fresh one but it slung polish all over me and several other things that didn't need any polish. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Soon you'll own 3-4 polishers and 100 or so pads. This becomes just like drinking alone...:xyxthumbs: